Thread: E46 330 rear trailing arms on E36 ?

My Cars
    325is

E46 330 rear trailing arms on E36 ?

OK, OK...this is waaaaay out there.
    But, does anyone know if the rear trailing arms from an E46 330 will fit the E36 chassis?
    They look to have the same geometry, but I don't have a 3D measuring device...

Just trying to plan another Frankenstein mod
    "faster...Faster...FASTER...Until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death"
    -Hunter S. Thompson

My Cars
    cars
    What are you looking to gain from using the E46 330 trailing arms?

Give RRT a call, they might know, but I don't believe using the e46 arms are going to offer you any benefits, possibly its stronger though.

The front is where you want to do some E46 swapping
    Last edited by Steve J.; 07-04-2007 at 04:32 PM.

My Cars
    325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve J. View Post
    What are you looking to gain from using the E46 330 trailing arms?
    Steve, I want to put the 330 rear brakes to match the 330 fronts. I already have the brakes and the parking brake is the issue.
    So I can resolve it 4 ways:
    1. Just yank the E36 parking brake lever really, really hard and hope.
    2. Get custom 2-piece rear rotors (E36 hub, and E46 ring)
    3. Get custom modified parking brake shoes at $295 a set
    4. install the whole E46 330 rear trailing arm, use E36 M3 axles and, voila, it's all 'stock'

I have this perverse desire to use 'stock' parts whenever possible. I have access to a 330 rear so the parts are easy. But I have no way to check the geometry short of fitting it all.
    "faster...Faster...FASTER...Until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death"
    -Hunter S. Thompson

My Cars
    cars
    Gotcha.

Any reason you want the 330 rear brakes? Are you going to benefit at all over the stock e36 rears?

This is a street car, correct?

My Cars
    '98 M3 & '06 330i 6MT
    zionsville autosport sells a conversion kit to upgrade an e36 to e46 brakes, both front and rear applications.
    Last edited by Mtgman; 07-04-2007 at 05:25 PM.
    Driving fast saves time. Time is money. Driving fast saves money.

My Cars
    325is
    Gotcha.

Any reason you want the 330 rear brakes? Are you going to benefit at all over the stock e36 rears?
    My stock rears are non-vented, due for replacement soon, and the 330 fronts moved the brake bias forward, so I want to resolve that. Plus, I get the rears pretty hot at the track, trying to make M3's look slow, haha

This is a street car, correct?
    Well if "street" means, driving to and from the track, then yes.

It's more a case of, 'hmmm..how can we make this work?" The parts are readily available (as opposed to custom rotors), the bias would be better, I have to replace the rotors, pads and parking brake shoes soon anyways. Modifying the shoes to fit is less work, but still I end up with a custom part.

BTW, what can I use from the E46 front end on my 'street' car without flared fenders?
    -Hunter S. Thompson

My Cars
    cars
    Yea, it might be a bit much for your application.

Sounds like Zionsville might have what you need though.

My Cars
    325is
    Yea, it might be a bit much for your application.

Sounds like Zionsville might have what you need though.
    Yeah, I know. They sell a modified set of parking brake shoes @ $295. I can do that for way less. Actually Tony @ TC Designs will
    But the whole rear trailing arm thing piqued my interest.
    -Hunter S. Thompson

My Cars
    cars
    Grab a set, bolt it up, set up your dial indicator and start measuring its geometry. Compare it to the baseline E36 numbers and report back

My Cars
    '85 twin turbo E30 323i
    I wouldn't have though the 5mm difference in park brake diameter would be a problem, adjust or shim up the shoes.

Can you not "make" some 330i shoes fit??

Alternatively you could look at using E38 750i rear rotors 328x20mm IIRC with the same park brake dia offset etc... as the E36, just depends if the caliper has enough clearance across the inside of the bridge!?!
    Do you use 330i rear calipers & discs with the E36 TA's??

E36 M3 discs aren't much smaller and are directionally vented, are these not a "bolt on" proposition?

My Cars
    2370 lbs E36 328
    Call me crazy (you'd be right), but WGAF about the parking brake? Ditch it!
    FMJ Motorsports
    "not everyone is a princess like riley"
    [16:04] spg383: my vagina gets cold below 40

My Cars
    325is
    Quote Originally Posted by e30-323ti View Post
    I wouldn't have though the 5mm difference in park brake diameter would be a problem, adjust or shim up the shoes.

Can you not "make" some 330i shoes fit??
    Yes, the 330 shoes can be made to fit. Probably the easiest route, but I end up with non-stock shoes. Meaning, I can't walk into any parts counter and get a set. Not the biggest deal in the world.

Alternatively you could look at using E38 750i rear rotors 328x20mm IIRC with the same park brake dia offset etc... as the E36, just depends if the caliper has enough clearance across the inside of the bridge!?!
    Hmmm...

Do you use 330i rear calipers & discs with the E36 TA's??
    Yeah, the caliper, caliper braket, rotor and p[ads just bolt right up. I'll also upgrade the master cylinder to the E36 M3. It's the same size as the E46 330, so everything should be nice and balanced again

E36 M3 discs aren't much smaller and are directionally vented, are these not a "bolt on" proposition?
    True, but they require the E36 M3 TAs as well. I don't have a set of those handy, like the E46 330 ones.
    -Hunter S. Thompson

My Cars
    325is
    Quote Originally Posted by txse46m3 View Post
    Call me crazy (you'd be right), but WGAF about the parking brake? Ditch it!
    Yeah, except for the street part. I'd still rather have a half-assed modded parking brake setup, than use the tranny as a brake.
    -Hunter S. Thompson

My Cars
    '85 twin turbo E30 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by FierySphere View Post
    Yes, the 330 shoes can be made to fit. Probably the easiest route, but I end up with non-stock shoes. Meaning, I can't walk into any parts counter and get a set. Not the biggest deal in the world.
    How often do you replace parking shoes!! I never have!!
    So a home DIY mod to get the 330i ones to work is hardly a big deal at all.

Hmmm...
    Be interesting to know if they fit with 330i calipers.

True, but they require the E36 M3 TAs as well. I don't have a set of those handy, like the E46 330 ones.
    Is that because of the M3 specific caliper/carrier??

Good luck, keep us posted.

My Cars
    93 332is/00 M5
    I'll also upgrade the master cylinder to the E36 M3. It's the same size as the E46 330, so everything should be nice and balanced again
    If you mean to adjust brake balance from front to rear, changing to a different master cylinder will not do this. It will only adjust the pedal travel slightly due to the larger cylinder.

My Cars
    325is
    Quote Originally Posted by kenster View Post
    If you mean to adjust brake balance from front to rear, changing to a different master cylinder will not do this. It will only adjust the pedal travel slightly due to the larger cylinder.
    Yeah, you are right. But the extra volume of the larger calipers makes the pedal height sub-optimal for hell-toeing with the stock master cylinder.
    -Hunter S. Thompson

My Cars
    ofc
    news?
    I have the 330 front and rear, plus euro 3.2 M3 master cylinder... they make miracles... lol (but no e-brake...)

My Cars
    325is
    Quote Originally Posted by nuvola rossa View Post
    news?
    I have the 330 front and rear, plus euro 3.2 M3 master cylinder... they make miracles... lol (but no e-brake...)
    I'm currently in SoCal doing a BMW gig, so I haven't had a chance. I'm basically doing a weel-on, and a week-off, so it might be a while.
    -Hunter S. Thompson

My Cars
    99 m3/97 evo m3/93 325is
    I just did the 330 front and rear conversion. It will take a lot to make the 325is ebrake grab. There is almost an inch of clearance to the srface area. I will attempt to make it work by using 330 hardware at a later date.
    98 Euro E36 M3 (ExSMG)/99 M3 Daily Driver/93 M3 (S54) TBD-hp/TBD-tq ) Current NASA track record holder TTD on street tires @ 3450lbs (Eagles Canyon 2:05.3, MSR-Houston 1:47.08)S52E36 TWS CCW 1:54.8, COTA 2:30.6 Race Lap 3yr old 245/40/18 Hankook Z214 C51)

My Cars
    1996 E36 316 SEDAN
    I know this thread hasn't been touched for a really, really long time. But I need to know how the 330 brake swap went?! I'm planning on doing it aswell, and I was hoping to find some info - but nobody has posted the results of their conversion really lol. Hopefully someone still has some info on this!

My Cars
    79 323i, 94 325is, 13 M3
    I did 330i front/325i rear. I was led to expect that there would be a dead spot at the top of the brake pedal stroke, but that didn't show up. Pedal feel is very good. I haven't finished my track testing yet, so I can't report back on the rear bias at this time. It calculates out to be pretty much the same as non-M stock bias splits. I may need a proportioning valve to shift it more to the rear for track use, unless the ABS and the chassis wedge play well with each other.

If you're asking about 330i front and rear, my bad -- I haven't tried it. The bias reportedly calculates out 66/34 vs 68/32 for a stock non-M E36.
    If God meant for man to motor-swap LS engines into track cars, He wouldn't have created Corvettes.

My Cars
    99 328is, 03 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by michel3171 View Post
    I know this thread hasn't been touched for a really, really long time. But I need to know how the 330 brake swap went?! I'm planning on doing it aswell, and I was hoping to find some info - but nobody has posted the results of their conversion really lol. Hopefully someone still has some info on this!
    The E46 rear brake rotors are vented on the 325 & 328, whereas the E36 rear rotors are solid. I have had E46 brakes installed on my 230hp E36 for over a year. I use Hawk DTC60 pads in front, and DTC50 in rear. The bias is great. 330 rear brakes wont work due to the parking brake.

Pedal feel is nearly identical to stock, however, there is noticeable pad knock back in certain corners/conditions that takes some getting used too. I also recommend a proper ducting setup to keep your wheel bearings and other parts cool... so that they last longer.