View Poll Results: What would you do?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Replace all 4 Kumho tires with something better (perfect handling)

6 66.67%
  • Replace just the 2 bald Kumhos now and leave the fronts (deal with the understeer)

3 33.33%

Thread: Looking for advice... tires and what to do.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition

Looking for advice... tires and what to do.

I posted this in the wheel/tire forum, but since it's 3series related, I'm posting it here too...

http://bimmerforums.com/forum/showth...&threadid=7810

Should I replace all 4 Kumhos at once with something better for the perfect handling setup or

Should I replace only to 2 bald Kumhos in the rear and deal with the understeer until the front wear out?
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    '99 323ti, '20 X5
    Here's what I'd do:

Get two steel rims and mount to remaining two Kumhos on them. Then get 4 new tires for normal driving. When you want to do smoke shows or whatever, slap on the old Kumhos & let 'er rip!
    -Bungy.

1999 323ti
    2005 530i 6-speed
    2020 X5
    2013 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    /// 95 M3
    Kev, i say just buy four new tires. Because then you will be in the same boat later on, right?
    A sports car isn't a car unless you know how to drive it!

Come and visit my part of the web.http://nathanhodge.homestead.com
    BUY MY ///M

Since your fronts have +- 60% on them, I would go ahead and buy another rear set of the kuhmo's. That way, all four will wear out at the same time, and at that point you can upgrade to four stickier tires.

If you go with four new ones, you can always hang onto the two kuhmos for spares or try and sell them, but used tires have a pretty poor market value.

As far as new tires, have you made a decision which ones you will be going with?

My Cars
    2006 E55 AMG
    I vote for just the 2. Thats 200 bucks you can put towards something else right now!

RENNtech 168mm Pulley and Tune | VRP Carbon Fiber Airbox | JP Shorty Headers | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | RENNtech Digital Lowering Module | 19" HRE 547R
    459 RWHP, 522 RWT

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Originally posted by jww///95
    As far as new tires, have you made a decision which ones you will be going with?
    Either the Yoko AVS Sports or the Bridgestone S02s. Since the S02s are discontinued, tirerack is having a good sale on them.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    e36 M3
    hmmm, I'd say 2 S02's in the back wouldnt be too bad if you can get a good deal on them now. And I agree, all 4 would probably wear out near the same time.

Techno V M '98 M3 Coupe