Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Active Autowerke Stage 2 C38 Pics and Install!

My Cars
    95 M3

Active Autowerke Stage 2 C38 Pics and Install!

----2 short vids of engine revving on page 4.

---Finished! update on 3rd page.

--Just added another update on the 2nd page - intercooler mounted.

-First update lower down on this page. By the way, I noticed the manual for the older C30 version of the kit actually gives better details in some parts, so I'd recommend anyone installing the C38 kit to take a look at it.

Hey guys,
    So the first stage 2 C38 obd1 kit to be shipped by AA arrived at our door on Wednesday. My dad and I ordered it from Marco a little over a week ago. We're installing it on a 95 dakar yellow M3 with 26k original miles. I'll post some pics of the actual car later when it comes back from the shop. Once we start the actual install (hopefully next week), I'll be posting pictures of that in this thread also.

Right now the car is at Bavarian Specialties in King of Prussia (highly recommended shop) having some engine work done prior to the install. We're having them replace the weak 95 valve retainers, replace the valve seals, clean out the carbon, resurface the head, and install a .080 mls headgasket and ARP studs. Along with that we're replacing the radiator with another oem one, updating to the aluminum thermostat housing, and replacing the stock pump with the Stewart high performance pump. I'll then be throwing some powerflex rtabs on the rear for good measure. The parts were bought from VAC, which is fortunately 10 min away from where I work. I also highly recommend these guys. Tony and Chris are great.

If there's anything anyone wants me to take a better picture of, or inspect for them, don't hesitate to ask. I know there's currently not much info on the forum about the e36 stage 2 kit, so I'll try to answer any questions I can with the parts in hand. Since this hasn't been installed on an obd1 car outside of their shop yet, I'm not actually sure how much power it will make on an obd1 car. I forgot to ask them last time I was on the phone what they dynoed the kit at.

The parts arrived in a 75lb box that had been given a little beating over the head

Rich air and clear skies,
    Austin

edit: I've recommended Marco in other threads but now having completed the install I wanted to add that he's been more help than I could have ever imagined or expected. He's spent hours with me on the phone, even on weekend nights. He airmailed his fan clutch and rtab tools to me without even expecting me to pay for the postage. He even got out of bed late one night when I called him to go down to his garage to check a belt length for me. I've never bought anything else in life that came with that kind of customer service.

First pic: AA shipping department VS. United Package Smashers
    2nd pic: the rotrex in its box
    3rd pic: parts spread out

Last edited by camshaft; 09-01-2007 at 07:13 PM.

My Cars
    95 M3
    Here's a better shot of the rotrex and blow off valve.

Last edited by camshaft; 07-21-2007 at 05:23 PM.

My Cars
    95 M3
    Some more.

Last edited by camshaft; 07-21-2007 at 05:24 PM.

My Cars
    2008 335, 2011 X3
    Congrats Austin..Enjoy..
    When do you think the tools will be coming home?
    2008 335I Space Grey,Black leather, Steptronic
    Vishnu Procede V3 (16-17 lb boost) ,AA FMIC,AA Discharge tube/BOV,AA Downpipes,AA Race Exhaust, AFE Elite intake,BSH catch can, OS Giken LSD, PSS10 suspension, H&R sway bars, Motorsport CF strut brace, Stoptech BBKS, Forgeline ZX3S 19 x 8.5 front and 19 x 9.5 rears w/P235 35 19 fronts and P275 30 19 rear Conti Extreme DW's,Motorsport alcantara digital steering wheel, P3 boost gauge..etc

2011 X3 X-Drive 35i, Mineral Silver, Oyster leather
    Hartge Power Pack tuner, H&R sport springs, Forgeline DE3S 19 x 9 Conti Extreme DW P245 45 19 all around, Supersprint Exhaust

AA Preferred Dealer

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Congratulations!

Thanks for posting info and lots of pics! Everyone loves that! Yeehaa!

You went C-38! Good man! 370whp here you come! None of this ~300whp and boohoo can't make any more power.

Can't wait to see more.
    Where have I been? Astral projecting.

Quote Originally Posted by jszy25 View Post
    Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

My Cars
    2011 CC 2.0t, 98 M3
    Congrats! Looking forward to your review.....Howdy Marco!?)

My Cars
    2009 135i
    purrrty can't wait to see that thing on your car!

National Capital Chapter BMW CCA #367673

My Cars
    13 Rubicon
    Damn, another FI'd pennsylvania car.
    2011 M3 Coupe - Individual Fire Orange/Black Novillo Extended Leather, 6MT, Mode Carbon, Eisenmann Race, BBS CH-R, BC Coil-overs (Sold)
    1995 M3 Coupe - Avus/Hurricane, AEM EMS, Precision Turbo, Boostlogic, H&R, Fikse FM/5, MaxVelocity, Maximum PSI, 20% Tint, etc etc.. (Sold)
    2009 M3 Coupe - AW/Fox Red, 6MT, Carbon Roof, Shadow Trim, etc (Sold)

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    Awesome...but I'm curious if you should lower the compression a bit more (since you are replacing it anyways) and see if you can get a custom injector/tune package?
    1997 Arctic Silver/Black M3
    CES Stage IV (651rwhp/615rwtq @ 24 psi)

1999 Techno Violet/Dove M3
    Auto/Convertible and staying stock!

My Cars
    95 M3, 03 E55, 07 335I
    F$@ why did I go with VF
    Old set up: 520RWHP & 500RWTQ @ 20PSI 1/4 mile as of 7/26/15 12.5 @ 125MPH - 19PSI
    New set up: Steedspeed Twinscroll, Wiseco Pistons 8.8:1 CR, K1 Rods, Blueprinted and Balanced, ARP Main Studs, o-ring block, GTR 12mm head studs, GT35R with 86mm HTA billet compressor wheel (GT3586RHTA) TwinScrol 1.06 exhaust housing, Nick G custom tuning, 6 Speed Transmission, UUC Twin Disc Clutch, UUC EVO III, UUC DSSR 109mm, EVO 6 Speed Driveshaft, HFS-6 W/M injection, Zeitronix data logger, 3" SS full exhaust, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Race coilovers.

My Cars
    2008 335, 2011 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by Matutino View Post
    F$@ why did I go with VF
    Matt.sell the dang thing and join the real fun, will ya?
    2008 335I Space Grey,Black leather, Steptronic
    Vishnu Procede V3 (16-17 lb boost) ,AA FMIC,AA Discharge tube/BOV,AA Downpipes,AA Race Exhaust, AFE Elite intake,BSH catch can, OS Giken LSD, PSS10 suspension, H&R sway bars, Motorsport CF strut brace, Stoptech BBKS, Forgeline ZX3S 19 x 8.5 front and 19 x 9.5 rears w/P235 35 19 fronts and P275 30 19 rear Conti Extreme DW's,Motorsport alcantara digital steering wheel, P3 boost gauge..etc

2011 X3 X-Drive 35i, Mineral Silver, Oyster leather
    Hartge Power Pack tuner, H&R sport springs, Forgeline DE3S 19 x 9 Conti Extreme DW P245 45 19 all around, Supersprint Exhaust

AA Preferred Dealer

My Cars
    95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWManiac View Post
    Awesome...but I'm curious if you should lower the compression a bit more (since you are replacing it anyways) and see if you can get a custom injector/tune package?
    Haha BMWManiac, I actually wanted less power when we first decided to boost the car. 450hp is more than enough for me. I went with the slightly lower comp and headstuds more for engine health, not so I could push the kit further.

Austin

My Cars
    w204
    Quote Originally Posted by WCM3 View Post
    Damn, another FI'd pennsylvania car.
    there's a few of us around.....

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by DTM325 View Post
    there's a few of us around.....
    man, i gotta get back on the boost...
    "If you can leave black marks from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." --Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2017 Golf R
    Iam loving all these Boooosted BMW's in the North East Region

My Cars
    E34, E36
    i'm hoping i can make a similar thread in the coming weeks...

My Cars
    97 E36M3 S54
    Quote Originally Posted by runnerboy View Post
    i'm hoping i can make a similar thread in the coming weeks...

I'm hoping i can make a similar thread in the coming months...

My Cars
    06 Sport 1K / 08 SD
    Quote Originally Posted by M52 POWER! View Post
    I'm hoping i can make a similar thread in the coming months...
    Same thing here with me, but it will most likely have to wait until after I sell one of my neighbor's kidneys...
    A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way...

My Cars
    avUs
    looks great, my stageI just got done, ive had the car for a few days and i love it but i want stageII already heh.just watch out for some wheel hop, the first night i had my car on the road i cracked my halfshaft.

My Cars
    95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaLoveAvus View Post
    looks great, my stageI just got done, ive had the car for a few days and i love it but i want stageII already heh.just watch out for some wheel hop, the first night i had my car on the road i cracked my halfshaft.
    Oh wow. Yeah, thanks for the heads up. I definitely don't want the broken half-shaft mod. How often do M3 guys actually install reinforced half shafts? I see it often with the z06 guys, but I think I've only seen it once on an m3 forum.

Austin
    Last edited by camshaft; 11-04-2007 at 01:11 AM.

My Cars
    avUs
    from what ive heard the m3 halfshafts are beefier than than the 328, so im going to upgrade to some m3 one but you should be fine. and i dont think anyone out there makes anything unless its custom and thats gunna be aboout $1200 with really good condition cores. also i cant wait to see your numers your gunna be well in the mid 300's, here are mine.

My Cars
    2000 E39 M5
    Nice!

My Cars
    95 M3
    UPDATE:
    Ok guys, I started the real install 2 days ago, and my friend joined in yesterday. So far, draining the radiator and getting it out has been more of a pain than any part of the actual SC install yet. Most of the work is done at night, so I apologize ahead of time for the poorly lit shots.

1st pic: Here's the car sitting in the garage right before starting all work.

2nd pic: Engine bay shot. Normally I keep it pretty clean, but the plastic cover and manifold got a little dirty when Bavarian Spec. rebuilt the head. No worries though.

3rd pic: Removing the front face of the car is a pain if you haven't done it before. The car is jacked up now too, and you can see the coolant draining from the radiator. And no, the car isn't resting on that cinder block. I just threw it under as a backup support.

4th pic: Here's the engine bay after we've removed the belts, stock tensioner, and added the SC bracket. The old radiator and fan are out too, which gives some nice room to work in. We have a bit of a hold-up here though. I can't find a bolt in the kit that's meant to replace one of the bolts holding in the top of the power steering pump. It's annoying because the only difference from the stock bolt is that the head is a button style, so it won't touch the belt as the stock hex head would. I checked the local hardware stores for an equivalent but no luck. The second problem here is the lower of the 2 main bolts holding in the bracket to the alternator holes. The manual points out that on 95 cars the lower alternator hole isn't threaded and instead has a nut in the back to hold the bolt. Therefore a longer mounting bolt is supplied. However, the kit came with the shorter bolt mean for threaded holes in the 96+ cars. I'll call Craig at Active tomorrow about this though. He's been great in terms of support.

5th pic: Since we got hung up on the bracket we started on the oil cooler and intercooler. The manual makes it sound as if the oil cooler will just easily slide right down in behind the kidney grill, but it definitely didn't. There's barely enough room, and the center plastic hub of the electric fan gets in the way. We therefore unscrewed the fan from the shroud to make room for it. It was also pretty difficult to slide in the tops of the mounts underneath the metal body panel bar going across behind the kidneys. We undid several of the torx screws so we could pry the metal up a little in slide the tops of the mounts in.
    We then bolted on the intercooler brackets to the shock mounts, but it looks like that rubber/plastic shrouding hanging vertically between the shock mounts will need to be trimmed.
    Last edited by camshaft; 07-21-2007 at 05:29 PM.
    Active Autowerke C38 stage 2 on 95 dakar yellow M3, 30k miles
    .080 mls headgasket, ARP headstuds and obd2 valve retainers; Stewart water pump; Dunlop Z1's on staggered CSL's.

387whp, 296wtrq --- girls dig dakar

My Cars
    95' BMW M3
    Looks cool, I think you should paint your mesh black while the bumper is off.
    1995 BMW M3
    2007 Porsche GT3 RS
    2011 Subaru STI

Forum for Texas Gun Owners

My Cars
    95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennmeister M3 View Post
    Looks cool, I think you should paint your mesh black while the bumper is off.
    Thanks but there's a good chance I'll just remove the grate all together. We don't put many miles on the car, and I'm told the IC cores are thick enough that you don't really need to worry about rock chips puncturing them.

Austin
    Active Autowerke C38 stage 2 on 95 dakar yellow M3, 30k miles
    .080 mls headgasket, ARP headstuds and obd2 valve retainers; Stewart water pump; Dunlop Z1's on staggered CSL's.

387whp, 296wtrq --- girls dig dakar

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast