Thread: Olympus may have dropped the ball on their new pro DLSR

My Cars
    1999 Saab 9-3 SE 5MT

Olympus may have dropped the ball on their new pro DLSR

I don't know how many of you follow Olympus DSLR news, but I've invested into the system so I follow it. Basically, they've been promising a new pro-camera to replace the very good but aging 5.5 megapixel E-1 (the things been around since 2003...many users still swear by it and its definately a good camera but its falling back simply because of progression of technology).

So, there was a leaked PDF (which I didn't see because Oly went around making everyone remove it), but it announced the specs of the new E-Pro camera. Granted, this has not been confirmed, but heres what it said

• World most effective anti-shake system (Max 5 Steps) (Did they mean Stops?)
    • 10MP High Speed Live MOS (5fps)
    • Live View with multi angel (sic) LCD
    • Dust reduction
    • Splash proof body
    • Wireless flash control in 3 groups
    • Quicker and more accurate World quickest with SWD lenses
    • 11 points
    • All cross sensor
    • Better low light performance -2EV at ISO100
    • Better continuous AF
    • High speed shooting (5fps, 1/8000, X=1/250)
    A good camera no doubt. Definitely on par with if not better than the 30D and the D200. The problem is how future proof it will be. Canon's got to have the 40D around the corner, and Nikon the D300. The new E-Pro was supposed to be the camera that got Olympus' name out into the field as a player in the Canikon controlled DSLR market. If it will only be competitive for 6 months or so, what good is that?

My biggest fear is that the camera won't be good enough, and Olympus will more or less give up on moving forward with their DSLR's leaving us FourThirds owners out for dead.

Oly had the chance to make or break themselves with this camera, and if these specs remain true, I fear it may be the latter.

I've got about $2000 invested into my camera system (not a lot by some of your standards, but as an 18 year old who buys all his own equipment, its quite the investment), so its not as simple as going out and switching systems. I was actually in the process of saving for the $1600 7-14mm f4.0, but I'm now having second thoughts on that one...

Anyone have any input? I'm thinking that I'll wait and see what Oly puts out with this new camera, how the market reacts to it, and how Canikon's new cameras stack up before putting any more money into the system.

I know I've recommended Olympus DLSR's to a few of you...and there is no doubt that they have a very good and solid product with a nice lens lineup and at a good price...but right now I'm concerned with the future of the system.

Quote Originally Posted by parabellum View Post
    Here for those of you who aren't OT whores, let me post the rest of this thread, all in one easy to follow post:
    1/3 of the posts will be: You broke the law, you pay. Your fault.
    1/3 of the posts will be: Man, f**k the police! What a c**t!
    1/3 of the posts will be:

My Cars
    02 M Coupe
    Auction and go 40D later this year?

Yes you may have invested a lot of money in the hobby, but now that you stand on shaky grounds with Olympus commitment to their products, you mine as well salvage what you have and invest into something more "future proof."

The specs for the new Olympus camera is impressive... about a year ago. Based on todays standards they will, "get by"; definitely not future proof by any standards. The rumored 40D by Canon is suppose to be all that is good in the previous models, just refined into a overall kick-ass package.

The new 5D or the 1Ds Mark III is going to be the next show stopper. If I was you, I'd start saving now for the 5D Mark II.

My Cars
    1999 Saab 9-3 SE 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by M powered View Post
    Auction and go 40D later this year?

Yes you may have invested a lot of money in the hobby, but now that you stand on shaky grounds with Olympus commitment to their products, you mine as well salvage what you have and invest into something more "future proof."

The specs for the new Olympus camera is impressive... about a year ago. Based on todays standards they will, "get by"; definitely not future proof by any standards. The rumored 40D by Canon is suppose to be all that is good in the previous models, just refined into a overall kick-ass package.
    Precisely what I'm afraid of. Based on those specs, the Oly-Pro would make a good prosumer camera, nothing more, and nothing to compete with Canon or Nikon.

If I do switch systems though, I'll probably only sell some of my gear (my fast Sigma prime, my tele lens, and maybe the flash), the rest is probably worth keeping as a backup (seeing as how my camera body is only worth $300-400 now).

Quote Originally Posted by M powered View Post
    The new 5D or the 1Ds Mark III is going to be the next show stopper. If I was you, I'd start saving now for the 5D Mark II.
    Nah. I'd spend that money on lenses and just get a 40D.

Either way, if rumors hold true here, the money I've been saving for the 7-14 and the E-Pro body may go to Canon instead of Olympus...we'll just have to wait and see.

Here for those of you who aren't OT whores, let me post the rest of this thread, all in one easy to follow post:

My Cars
    1999 Saab 9-3 SE 5MT
    BTW, how much do you guys figure a 40D body only will go for when it comes out?

I'm trying to figure out if I'll even be able to afford one...I'd probably go with a 24-70 f2.8L and a 70-200 F4L, plus a 580EX II to start...maybe a bit too pricey for me.

Also, is the 40D rumored to have live view, sensor based IS, or weatherproofing?
    Last edited by mfratt; 06-28-2007 at 11:07 PM.

My Cars
    89 325is, 89 BMW 525i, 0
    mfratt, I wouldn't be too worried. Your 4/3 lens setup is the most stable on the market. Canon and Nikon will be screwing people over because I know they're going to move to stupid sized sensors and make people buy all new lenses. It's just how they play the game. What does a guy with a Mark III do for super wide angle? Buy an adapter? L O L.

My Cars
    E46 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by GreekDriver View Post
    mfratt, I wouldn't be too worried. Your 4/3 lens setup is the most stable on the market. Canon and Nikon will be screwing people over because I know they're going to move to stupid sized sensors and make people buy all new lenses. It's just how they play the game. What does a guy with a Mark III do for super wide angle? Buy an adapter? L O L.
    New lenses not required. All the film lenses ever produced will give the same FOV on the new FF sensors. (Nikon.) Canon's entire EOS line works perfectly on 24x36 sensors. That's what they were originally intended for... Well, except for EF-S but those are mostly junk anyway. Just like Nikon's DX line.

1D3 is not targeted to a market that uses ultra-wide angle. It's a sports camera. People primarily use zooms on it. The 5D has all the wide angle lenses one would ever need available to it. 16-35 f/2.8L? I've never seen an f/2.8 wide angle for a 1.5 or 2.0 crop sensor... Us Nikonians are stuck with the 12-24 f/4 for $1k and a slew of 3rd party versions for ~$500. Olympus 7-14 f/4 for $1600?! WTF. Get out of here.

People preaching about Olympus being able to compete are just trying to justify their own purchase- make them feel better about the money they spent.

My Cars
    none
    ouch.

My Cars
    02 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by mfratt View Post
    BTW, how much do you guys figure a 40D body only will go for when it comes out?

I'm trying to figure out if I'll even be able to afford one...I'd probably go with a 24-70 f2.8L and a 70-200 F4L, plus a 580EX II to start...maybe a bit too pricey for me.

Also, is the 40D rumored to have live view, sensor based IS, or weatherproofing?
    Of course nothing is official until you hear it from Canon's own mouth; but many things must be considered. One very important aspect is, how does it compare to the current Canon line up? Based on that question, the theory for the 40D is this.

10MP
    Pathetic Anti-Dust system
    2.5" LCD, 3" I heard will be reserved for the new 5D and the 1D bodies.
    No Live view
    No weather proofing, again same reason as stated above.
    Digic III
    5 FPS continuous shooting
    New battery based on Li-Ion similar to the 1D Mk III

Price wise? Expect $1,399.00 - $1,599.00 in par with the current D200. Of course when the 40D comes out, the D200 market will have a strong competitor. Nikon's response is to offer body only rebates or possibly dropping the price down to the current 30D pricing $1,100.00

That will drive 30D pricing to <$1,000 to compensate for the emerging market and the D200 pricing.

Again, all speculation and educated guess.

My Cars
    Varies
    5 stop anti-shake in the body is pretty darn impressive. Don't Canon's most recent IS lenses only offer 4 stops? The original K/M body based anti-shake was good for maybe 2 stops. I'm intrigued if it'll live up to that promise.
    2010 BMW S1000RR