Thread: I need insight with annoying door thing

I need insight with annoying door thing

Occasionally when braking my interior lights will fade on, and then as I accellerate they fade back off. Next when I was going down the highway the bump up onto a bridge somehow jarred my door into thinking that it was open (as a note, I was only going 70 when this occurred). This meant that the interior lights came on, and the window did the slight opening thing.

Now, the previous owner had put duct tape accross the door latch sensor (drivers side), and claimed that it made the window function properly. He then proceeded to warn me that if I were to take the latch off, I would have to be really careful so as not to drop the bolts inside the frame, which would require removing interior panels to get them out. The tape was holding but after some use the door has worn through the tape right over the sensor.

So here's my question: is my switch faulty, or is something the else wrong? Insight would be great!

Thanks
    Krivit

My Cars
    1996 M3 lux, 1988 325
    Well as you have probably already figured out, the door switch is in the bolt part of the door latch. When the latch closes around it the switch is opened. I would guess that yours may be worn from use.
    A simple solution but may be temporary, would be to put a dab of glue (epoxy) on top of the switch to give it more extention. Don't glue it in place! Use a toothpic and put a drop on top (not vertical top) of the switch.
    The other alternative would be to get a new switch. I would not worry about dropping a bolt or nut into the frame. The panels are not a big deal to remove and a magnet on a stick will do the trick.

If you do the epoxy thing, don't close the door until it is completely dry! Oh yea, and make sure the surface is clean.
    == Stable mates ==
    -1996 M3 Lux, bright red (hellrot), Modena interior. Aus Freude Am Fahren!

-1988 325, Alpenweiss. The commuter.
    BMW HOWTOs

I had the same thing happen to me. I did exactly what
    ///M3 Fahrer suggested, using Krazy glue. I put a drop on the latch switch and a drop on the edge of the door hook lever where it touches the switch (you have to push the hook lever fully closed when you do this). Again, make sure the parts are clean and let them dry completely before you close the door. Mine's been working for about a month with no problems so far.
    SOLD - 1995 M3 -- Dakar Yellow, RMS Stage 1 Supercharger, AA Exhaust, Bilsteins, Fikse wheels, UUC strut bar, etc.