RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Odometer/trip meter bulb out? (E36 M3)

My Cars
    '97 E36 M3 2-door, '02 YZF-R1

Odometer/trip meter bulb out? (E36 M3)

The odometer and trip meter section of my gauges is very dim, so I think a bulb is burned out or something like that.

Is it possible to change the bulb? Do I have to crack the cluster open to do it?

Thanks!
    -c///m
    1997 Estorilblau M3 2-door
    Performance: JC euro intake, AA Gen III exhaust, Evosport UDP, fan delete, Schrick cams, OBD-I intake manifold, 540 HFM, ASC delete, 24# fuel injectors, DiffsOnline 3.46 40% LSD, Boston BMWCCA sticker
    Suspension: TC Kline SA (Suck-A**) coilovers, ///M front strut brace, X-brace, TCK RSM, Powerflex RTAB, Turner sways, Motorforce camber plates, RRT reinforced rear LCAs
    Lighting: ZKW w/ HID, Euro clears, Lamin-X foglight film
    Other: Z3 steering rack, SS brake and clutch lines, Stygar SSK, UUC TME, VDO Gauges, MB Quart Discus components, MB Quart Discus 6x9 triaxials, Audio Art NA 4070 280W amp

My Cars
    Nevermind, I just found the answer in this thread:
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...threadid=65722

A search for "odometer" didn't find this one. Gotta learn to use wildcards more liberally
    -c///m
    Performance: JC euro intake, AA Gen III exhaust, Evosport UDP, fan delete, Schrick cams, OBD-I intake manifold, 540 HFM, ASC delete, 24# fuel injectors, DiffsOnline 3.46 40% LSD, Boston BMWCCA sticker
    Suspension: TC Kline SA (Suck-A**) coilovers, ///M front strut brace, X-brace, TCK RSM, Powerflex RTAB, Turner sways, Motorforce camber plates, RRT reinforced rear LCAs
    Other: Z3 steering rack, SS brake and clutch lines, Stygar SSK, UUC TME, VDO Gauges, MB Quart Discus components, MB Quart Discus 6x9 triaxials, Audio Art NA 4070 280W amp

My Cars
    turbo e36 m3/ stock s50/e30 m3
    Try this first. Flick it hard with your finger right over the odometer display. It worked for me. Just be careful you don't crack the plastic.

96 M3, GT4094R, Arrow Rods, CP Pistons, Elring HG, cutring 87mm, 10 mm ARP studs,MS3pro, EMC Intercooler, n54 6 speed with Motiv twin disk, ZT-2 wideband, Zionsville Radiator, X-brace, H&R springs with bilstien shocks, QTP electronic cutout, Line Locks, stock exhaust 455rwtq, 453rwhp at 14 psi 91 octane.......684rwtq, 681rwhp at 24 psi running flex fuel E60 at time of dyno tune.

My Cars
    divorced my bimmer :(
    Hopefully you don't have the "pixel" problem affecting the odom/tripmeter and message display area that has plagued many models. If that is the case it will not get better. BMW knows about the problems but denies it.
    For the past few years the odom/trip on my 525 only shows a couple pixels on startup, and gradually reappears (Worse in cold) Something to do with a faulty capacitor, and the stealer will charge well over $1,000. There is some DIY info on this site under Maint-elect-dash http://www.bmwe34.net/

PM me if you want some add'l info.
    BMW Cigar & Gun Club Member # 11

My Cars
    Nope, the whole odometer/trip-meter area is out, so I think the bulb is gone. Thanks, though
    -c///m

My Cars
    1995 DAKAR YELLOW ///M 3
    JUST REPLACE THE BULB YOU SHOULD BE ALL SET. ALTHOUGH AFTER THAT ONE THEY ALL SEEM TO START GOING .

My Cars
    Good idea...while I'm in there, I'll probably take a count off all the different bulbs that are in there. Since I don't know how many of each bulb, I'll just get the one bulb at first, and get the entire set when the second bulb goes out.
    -c///m