Thread: How smart would buying an M3 with a rebuilt title be?

Santa Barbara CA, and sometimes Austin TX
    My Cars
    95 Helrot M3

How smart would buying an M3 with a rebuilt title be?

I've been in the market for an M3 for quite some time now, and recently came upon this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-3...QQcmdZViewItem
    If it ends with no bids I am planning on driving to Houston to check it out and possibly buy it. It has a rebuilt license though... I qoute from the listing "THIS VEHICLE HAS A TEXAS REBUILT TITLE...THIS VEHICLE HAD A DAMAGE TO THE RIGHT QUARTER PANEL AND THE REAR BUMPER!" This worry's me a little... The car looks great in the pictures but who knows whats wrong with it. If possible I would like to get a bmw mechanic to check it out but its from a dealer so I don't know how that would work, unless I paid someone to tag along to check it out. Hoping I will get some help to see if I should check it out or run away.

My Cars
    M3 Vert 95
    I can't find the old post that was made for this car this week but like another member said, the trunk don't line up so you might check that out ! Rebuilt car can be good sometime for saving money if it was rebuilt corectly the first time ! But it can turn itoo a money pit if it's done wrong !

My Cars
    '14 GLK250, '13 Abarth
    Mine is a theft recovery, so it has a rebuilt title. Although I know it got resprayed, it wasn't totalled...

1999 Cosmos Black/Dove Grey BMW ///M3 convertible - 5 speed - SOLD

2005 Atlantic Blue Pearl/Taupe Leather Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Wagon - 5 speed
    - SOLD

2014 Tenorite Grey/Black Mercedes-Benz GLK 250 - bone stock.

2013 Bianco/Rosso Abarth 500c - 5 speed

2016 Oxford White/Grey Ford Transit 250 Powerstroke 148 MR (DIY RV conversion)

My Cars
    1995 m3, ninja 500r
    keep looking. There are plenty of other m3s that don't have a salvage title.

The only instance where I would purchase a salvage title m3 is if i wanted a track car and it did not need to be completely reliable. Yes, there are some salvage title m3s that don't have extensive problems and are reliable, but it is not worth the risk.

My Cars
    I take the bus to work.
    thats not a very good deal for a salvaged 97 m3.
    -M3J0N

My Cars
    E30325i e34m5 e46m3 e36m
    First of all, M3's are not tough to put back to stock condition(after a light hit) . Slight body damage will get a car a salvage title especially if its 10 years old. If your planning on keeping the car for a while, you should get it(afer looking at it). E36's with similar miles and mods are going for 19+. Car looks solid. Consider it!

My Cars
    99 BMW M3
    Go wtih a clean title car. I agree that you can find a good deal with a salvaged title that happens to run smooth, but the chances of you catching a lemon are quite a bit higher. Put it this way, i searched for 8 months to find my M3 with vaders, about that millage and all the options for 12.7k. If you can get a ppi or get a mech you trust to look at it and it is clean, knock yourself out.

My Cars
    95 M3 63 Corvette
    Get the car checked out. Mine is a Salvage Title with front and rear hits, repaired well. The car drives straight, no rattles other than crappy plastic, everthing fits fine. The front of these cars are all bolt-on parts, save for where the radiator support is spot welded to the bumper mounts, the butts of these cars are pretty durable and factory quarter panel skins are available that can cover rear quarter damage without compromising the inner structure. It does not take a lot to make these cars a salvage title. Price is a little high. but it is a nice car. Need to find out more about it and find out if the seller has the repair documents.
    BEX Performance Cylinder Head/3.5 MAF Sensor w/Eurosport Euro High Performance Cold Air Intake Kit/Riot Racing 4mm overbore Throttle Body/ Samco/ S&K Performance Custom Chip/Dr Vanos Stage II kit/ Remus cat back exhaust/Ground Control Coilover Kit, Camber/caster plate; adjustable Konis/Mason Engineering front strut tower and rear shock brace/TMS adjustable front sway bar links/DTM Short Shifter

My Cars
    E90 M3, Aston V8 Vantage
    12k is a mediocre deal, not terrible, but its dove gay. i do like those wheels though, even though theyre probably just 2-piece look instead of real 2-piece.
    Ladies of the past:

My Cars
    09 AW E90 335i 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by m3j0n View Post
    thats not a very good deal for a salvaged 97 m3.
    ^understatement..

My Cars
    Jesus Built my M3 (TYJ)
    That's a funny condom on that intake.

Definitely high for a salvaged car being bought sight unseen.
    1995 M3/2/5 : non-lux alpine white III on black
    2013 GX460 4x4 : knights pearl on black
    1997 Ram 3/4T 12v cummins turbo diesel : titanium silver on gray

My Cars
    1989 Geo Metro
    I paid less for a non-salvaged car in BETTER CONDITION with about the same miles. Thats not a very good deal, keep looking

My Cars
    320is => E30 M3 => M3/4/6
    If you buy it then plan to keep it for a looooong time because it will probably be a b!tch to sell with the rebuilt/salvaged title. The price seems high but that is what negotiating is for. I am not a fan of dove gray but the car looks nice except the trunk lid needs to be realigned (hopefully that is all it is). Proceed with great caution or pass IMHO.

Santa Barbara CA, and sometimes Austin TX
    My Cars
    95 Helrot M3
    After reading these replys and thinking about it for a couple minutes I think I'm going to pass. As pretty as it is, I would rather wait and buy a clean titled car and not have to worry or deal with any issues like trunk alignment. plus I just found this one http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...=1&cardist=195

My Cars
    E39, E38s, e46, lr3
    That car didn't even have the factory spare.. It probably got rear ended so hard it messed the spare and the whole back end up. The cheap "hotair" intake also worry me.
    e46 m3, some 740 sport shorts, F30h, LR3 and a 540it

My Cars
    RMS Supercharged e46 m3
    I paid 10k for mine with nearly the same milage... Keep looking.