Thread: radiator fan question

My Cars
    '98 M3, '00 Civic Si

radiator fan question

I recently lost my plastic cover under the front bumper, and a few days back the radiator's fan cable was sagging on the road. I took a look and one of the wires was sticking out (there are three connections), almost disconnected!! I caught that disaster in time and locked it in place, tucked it away so it wouldn't sag. Now, I still am paranoid about the fan not working, I used to get out of a car and see that fan spin before that, it would spin about 70 percent of the time, now - nothing, every time I push a car a little harder just so I can increase the temp and check the fan, its still is standing still. Car doesn't overheat though!!

So judging from all this forementioned stuff, am I just paranoid and the fan is working, otherwise the engine would have overheated by now? Or that other fan on the engine itself is doing all the work, b/c that one seems to always work now, and before that it would only kick in very rarely. So what gives, how can I check if the fan is working when it needs to? Thanks in advance, Serge.

P.S. Oh and how reliable/correct is the temp sensor on the cluster? Mine never goes over the middle part. And on the highway it drops a little to the cold side.

My Cars
    99 M3 / 98 subaru 2.5rs
    that temp sensor should stay pegged in the dead center, once the car is heated up, if I'm not mistaken, so you have some issues if it dips to the cold side.

your car will not overheat without the aux fan if you still have the clutch fan working, or at least in my experience. Mine wasn't working for longest time (~1 year) before I noticed the fuse for it was blown. I have heard that the aux fan not working puts extra stress on your AC system and compressor, but I can't confirm that

My Cars
    '98 M3, '00 Civic Si
    It was on a highway at high speed and the outside temp was on the lower side so the engine got a little cooler then usual, but after I got down to regular speeds it came back to the middle - pinned down like you said. Well, I guess I'll check the fuse as well and then see what's going on. Thanks for the reply.