Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My Ls1 E36 Engine Test fit

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Quote Originally Posted by bimerok View Post
    Thaniel, do you have this kind of like a crash washer that you put before the nut so once you tighten the nut, you bend in the edge of the washer in a little grove so it prevents it from becoming loose again. Sorry for the vage description...
    I think I know what you are saying. The design is just a nut with an edge that is crimped into the groves in the axle. It works I just didn't crimp them enough.

Replaced the wheel bearing and thought "while I'm at it" I'll replace the axle on that side. Advance auto had a new ones for a good price. Picture of the old vs new attached. Put it all together and the car made it to the end of my street and broke the axle. No I wasn't even on it. I think the axle was a little short and it pulled out of the joint or something. No idea. So I got to tow it home. The first time I had to tow my LS1E36 home and it was for a new replacement part. Bummer. Gave the neighbors a good show as I was towed backwards (flat towed with a tow rope in the neat little bumper hook) all the 1/4 mile or so back to the house (no place to easily turn around. Wasn't worth the bother).

Surprisingly it only took me a half hour to take the broken new axle out and put in the old one back in. I didn't even need to jack up the car or remove the tire. Oh well the car is back in business. I tell you I really crimped the nut on this time
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1995 bmw 325i e36
    very nice swap been wanting to do a ls-1 swap into my 325i e36 but moneys an issue at the moment with this so called "recession" thing going on, nice build tho
    96' 325i 4 dr

WHY ARE THERE NO CUPHOLDERS IN THE FRONT OF MY BLOODY CAR

My Cars
    S10 5.3l V8 - FltBlk
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaniel View Post
    Ah. My old thread again. Since it's here I'll throw this in. I trashed another wheel bearing on the RH side. This makes the 3rd time I've had to change it. Is it all that V8 muscle. I don't think so. Just mistakes installing.

First time the wheel bearing was trashed before installed the V8 and noticed when I was working on it. I noticed the lock nut was not tight. Someone prior to me owning the car must have done something stupid. So I changed it but I didn't replace the hub. So that required me to do it again in about a week. So fast forward A year and a half. I found that my wheel bearing was bad AGAIN!! And guess what. The nut was loose again. Hummm. Well on the RH side the rotation of the wheel is always trying to unscrew the nut. A LH threaded nut would really be the best thing there but that's not how BMW designed it. Anyway my staking of the nut must not have been good enough so I'm doing it again. At least I'm good at it . This time it'll get lock tight and staked extra good.
    I don't know if you have been doing this but lock nuts technically should only be used once. Just thought i would throw that out there.
    Going to NJ soon!
    Truck - S10 flat black v8 swap

My Cars
    96 328is 6.0L
    Quote Originally Posted by LS350i View Post
    I don't know if you have been doing this but lock nuts technically should only be used once. Just thought i would throw that out there.
    Here we go, lock nut - couldn't recall what was the name for these.
    - 96 328is 6.0L. (LS1 to LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ad.php?2098938)
    - 96 328is 5.7L. (LS1 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1289987)
    - 95 ///M3 6.0L. (LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1619249)

- 97 ///M3. (e46 Fender Flares/track car build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1727098)
    - 96 328is (Dual Fuel Pump to Surge Tank thread: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?1964025)

My Cars
    S10 5.3l V8 - FltBlk
    Going to NJ soon!
    Truck - S10 flat black v8 swap

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Quote Originally Posted by LS350i View Post

Yup thanks. All new nuts used. They are cheap and not worth the bother of reusing.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323is
    Hi guys im 19 and have owned my 323is for about a year..I love camaros but hate the mullets behind the wheels! so i have been easedropping on all of these fourms drooling over the pictures of ls1's or 2's inside of your bmw!!! Im doing research for future use and was wondering how the tach MAF OXY sensor and everything was hooked up...Is it as simple as snip and sodler?? im currently saving up and am looking at ls1s...what headers have you guys purchased? did you have to cut to clear steering linkage? what has to be done about the brake fluid master cylinder clearance?? all input is apprecieated! thank you

My Cars
    2010 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by ereid74 View Post
    Hi guys im 19 and have owned my 323is for about a year..I love camaros but hate the mullets behind the wheels! so i have been easedropping on all of these fourms drooling over the pictures of ls1's or 2's inside of your bmw!!! Im doing research for future use and was wondering how the tach MAF OXY sensor and everything was hooked up...Is it as simple as snip and sodler?? im currently saving up and am looking at ls1s...what headers have you guys purchased? did you have to cut to clear steering linkage? what has to be done about the brake fluid master cylinder clearance?? all input is apprecieated! thank you
    its a lot more work than you think it is, trust me, in the process of gathering everything right now, up to atleast 15k$ in parts that will be needed, but im doing it right, and not half assing anything
    2010 - BMW 335i M-Sport - Lemans Blue Metallic
    BMW PPK2, JB4 with NLS, Backend Flash, BMW PP Exhaust, Misc Appearance Mods, Boost Addictions Diff Brace, BMS DCIs, BMS Clutch Stop, VRSF Catless DPs

Previous:
    1995 M3
    1998 323is

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Quote Originally Posted by ereid74 View Post
    how the tach MAF OXY sensor and everything was hooked up...Is it as simple as snip and sodler??
    What is generally done when swapping in a very different engine is to bring over all the sensors and electronics from the other car. In this case the Camaro/firebird. The computer o2 sensors, MAF etc all from the Camaro and are already connected to the engine. Some alteration in the lengths of the wires may be desired and for me yes I just cut and resoldered them at the length I wanted. (the tach you just wire to the BMW cluster and adjust the ECU for the right output). I suggest these websites for insight on how some others have done engine swaps.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids-28/
    http://forums.hybridz.org/forumdisplay.php?f=84
    http://www.v8rx7forum.com/v8-rx-7-forum/
    oh and my thread www.ls1bmw.blogspot.com

Many of your other questions answers vary widely depending on how the builder decides to go at it. Check out peoples build threads and choose the method you like best. For me that is one of the funest parts of the project.

My Cars
    96 BMW 740IL sbc turbo
    i have a 96 740il is the mounts you are using can they work on my car for the same motor u have an ls1 or lt1?

My Cars
    e36 m3 Ls2, 318I, 325is
    how can they work they are two very diff cars

Fair is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    E36 M3, E36 LS1, E30 318
    Quote Originally Posted by JUNEBLOOD View Post
    i have a 96 740il is the mounts you are using can they work on my car for the same motor u have an ls1 or lt1?
    No. Not even close.
    Terry Fair @ Vorshlag Motorsports

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123