Thread: My E30 Track Car Build Costs

My Cars
    1996 M3 and 1989 325i

My E30 Track Car Build Costs

I posted this in the e30 forum, but thought it might be of some value here too. I am building a track car primarily for HPDE use. I may eventually use it in time trials and/or a few spec e30 events. The car probably has between 220,000 and 250,000 miles, but I can't be sure because the odo was broken when I bought the car, and I have since changed the guage cluster.

While I have seen alot of posts on this forum about which mods should be made and how much they may cost, I have never seen a comprehensive list of what people have actually done and how much they truly have invested in their e30. For the sake of discussion, I am sharing my e30 build costs.pdf. My next mods will likely be sway bars, strut tower bars, wheels, camber plates, and maybe a chip.

You can see before and after pics of my car on a parallel thread.

Other than the fact that this summary does not reflect all of the weight reduction that I have performed (which is significant), it is a pretty good summary of my car's current condition. Eventually, I plan to post some video from my recent trip to VIR, but it may be a while.

In the meantime, and at the risk of being flamed, I invite your comments.

My Cars
    2017 530i M-sport
    Shut up! It's against the rules to add up costs.

Jay

From wannabe to has been in a few short years..... the older I get, the faster I was

My Cars
    1987 325i
    Car looks good, I would upgrade wheels/tires.

My Cars
    1987 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhudson View Post
    Shut up! It's against the rules to add up costs.

Jay

Ain't that the truth, I don't do it...anymore

My Cars
    E36 325i, E34 535iTm
    Much as I hate to see the numbers, I'm on a pretty tight budget overall and I have a spreadsheet with everything on it. It ain't pretty, and the car, while trackable and "just fine" for a DE car isn't race-ready yet (no fire system, center net, transponder, and a few other minor things). I shoulda bought a kart.

-tammer

My Cars
    1996 M3 and 1989 325i
    I'm on a tight budget too and I understand I'm nowhere near race ready. I expect I'll be doing DE's for years to come. However, for people who are interested in comparing the costs associated with building a car versus buying one already built, I thought this would help. Plus, my wife doesn't visit this site, so I should be ok posting this info.

I would definitely like new wheels, but will likely stick with the Falken Azenis or a similar DOT tire for a while. They are much better than my old, all-season, tires, and I'm not in a hurry to get true R-compound tires.

My Cars
    04 GT3/04 F350/87 911
    I totalled up the costs from my last build. I just won't share with anyone as I'm against publicly publishing how fiscally irresponsible I am.

My Cars
    2k5 330i
    Nice car! Thanks for sharing.

My Cars
    MANY TO LIST
    Well, you are half way there. I stopped adding up when I broke the $10k barrier, since I was told that was all I needed, HA!!! I should be around $15k, and I need to replace some safety items that are or will expire soon (suit, gloves, helmet, nomex underware, cool shirt kit, harness, seat, etc)
    BTW, if you are going to spec E30, forget the chip.
    In addition, you can get a great deal from Konig if you are looking for wheels, check the NASA site.
    Road racing addict.

Juker008 don't send pm soliciting or advertising, against forum rules!!

My Cars
    _
    Thanks for sharing all of that info! My boyfriend is looking at building a car for HPDE and later spec e30 and this really helps him to see how big of a budget to set aside. Good luck with the car, it looks great!

My Cars
    14 m235i, 98 m3, 09 r56
    I just bought my latest e30 for $75 - another 1990 325i. I ought to start tracking the costs - I'll have to estimate some as it will be getting a lot of things swapped over from my current car which is being retired due to rust issues arising from some poor body work done before I got the car.

My Cars
    2017 M3 Comp
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Lang View Post
    I totalled up the costs from my last build. I just won't share with anyone as I'm against publicly publishing how fiscally irresponsible I am.
    Agreed. My wife said to me, WTF did you spend 5 grand on your car for, and WTF are dampers? Then she proceeded to say you are slow anyway. Tough love I guess