Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BMW 335i vs. EVO IX???

My Cars
    2007 335i sedan
    I was merely responding to the ricer math from SpunkyE30nOk above, who said that when you throw a Procede on the 335i, it becomes an ass whoopin (beating an Evo). It's typical ricer arthimetic..."My car with mods X, Y, and Z will be your stock car". Duh. However, in this case, it's a little different than normal ricer arthimetic, because the ricer usually starts with a lower priced car and says that if he adds mods to total up to the more expensive car, then he will be faster. In this case, the guy is taking a car that costs up to $20K more and says additional mods on top of THAT will get you faster. Sheesh.
    Current Rides: 2007 BMW 335i Sedan 6MT Montego Blue (took delivery 7/9/2007), 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi (for sale), 2004 Mazda RX-8 6MT
    Fondly Remember: 1988 Porsche 924S, 1992 Mitsu 3000GT SL, 2001 BMW Z3 2.5i

My Cars
    2007 335i sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    This guy thinks his Dodge is faster than your STI

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=4
    Let me assure you, it is not.
    Current Rides: 2007 BMW 335i Sedan 6MT Montego Blue (took delivery 7/9/2007), 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi (for sale), 2004 Mazda RX-8 6MT
    Fondly Remember: 1988 Porsche 924S, 1992 Mitsu 3000GT SL, 2001 BMW Z3 2.5i

My Cars
    335i
    I can not believe some of these posts... my car is faster 0 - 100 (0 - 62 for the US guys).
    If that is all you base your cars on then there is a major problem and you should never buy a BMW.
    The EVO is a great car, very fast, good handling and easily modded to get a bit of extra poke out of. The interior however is a little sub standard. It is awesome as a track car that can also be driven every day. But for most the suspension is a little stiff. The EVO is the top of the lancer line and as such inherits the chasis problems and noises that suface from a car of that build. As a track car it is better than the 335. (Because that is what it was designed for.) Same goes for the STI.

The 335 was built for great performance and great build quality with a level of luxury options that the STI and Evo can not match.

Before rubbishing one car over another contemplate what they were built for and how much they cost.

Raw speed can be obtained at a fraction of the cost of both vehicles, lets put it in perspective.

My Cars
    07 335CI ,06 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4, 34'Kachina Drone
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    I can not believe some of these posts... my car is faster 0 - 100 (0 - 62 for the US guys).
    If that is all you base your cars on then there is a major problem and you should never buy a BMW.
    The EVO is a great car, very fast, good handling and easily modded to get a bit of extra poke out of. The interior however is a little sub standard. It is awesome as a track car that can also be driven every day. But for most the suspension is a little stiff. The EVO is the top of the lancer line and as such inherits the chasis problems and noises that suface from a car of that build. As a track car it is better than the 335. (Because that is what it was designed for.) Same goes for the STI.

The 335 was built for great performance and great build quality with a level of luxury options that the STI and Evo can not match.

Before rubbishing one car over another contemplate what they were built for and how much they cost.

Raw speed can be obtained at a fraction of the cost of both vehicles, lets put it in perspective.
    Your post makes way too much sense for this lot, I liked it though

My Cars
    07' 335i
    07' 3351 space grey/red leather
    6 spd sport pkg 155mph
    forgeline 18.5 zx3r gunmetal/polish lip
    v1, grey poplar wood premium package
    advan neova tires
    one of thee 1st in nothern/central nj on th road
    came home 9/22/06

My Cars
    07' 335i
    i'm thinking the drivers aren't all that skilled. acceleration seemed kind of slow
    6 spd sport pkg 155mph
    advan neova tires
    came home 9/22/06

My Cars
    07' 335i
    6 spd sport pkg 155mph
    advan neova tires
    came home 9/22/06

My Cars
    X5
    Having both cars in my garage, i would say that the evo is definitely the faster carriage. It is faster in a straight line or in the twisties. Magazines that says the evo can't hold on to a 335 are full of........ or they don't know how to use a stickshift. With just a manual boost control and a simple flash costing less than $200, it can leave the 335 in its dust. For a thousand dollar more, you can have an e-bay 3"TBE, a walbro fuel pump, a drop in filter, a generic intercooler and 280 cams. Enough recipe to roast a 911 turbo. The evo reponds very, very well with light mods that are cheap and easy to bolt on. Downside -It is brutal and a primitive car when compared to a 335. It is very noisy,very rough and only attracts attention from high school kids oozing too much testosterone. You will need to visit a chiropractor and audiologist in your senior years. Heck no, you will also need to replace a kidney in 10 years.

For a daily driver nothing beats a 335. It is reliable, very comfortable, maintenance free, fast enough and handsome. It is a PUNANI magnet and you can travel downtown incognito. These are very different cars in my opinion.
    For comfort and peace of mind i will go with the 335. For an adrenaline rush nothing beats the evo.

My Cars
    2021 M550i Tanzanite Blu
    (I'm not allowed to post URLs?! You'll have to cut-n-paste to see the references.)

I've driven quite a few sportscars as daily drivers. (Gads, how I hate the term "sportscar", but I couldn't think of another succinct way to say it. ) Going back to the 5.0L Mustang, a C5 vette, an STi, a Supra Turbo, and now the 335i.

Each time I bought a new car, it was a step up from the previous one. The vette to the STi was not necessarily a step up in power, but I liked how easily the STi could be tossed around an autox track and the AWD was great for launching and for powering out of turns.

But if the last car, the Supra, hadn't started to creak, rattle, and roar, I would still own it. For just a few hundred dollars (exhaust and boost controller) I had a car that would post 420+ rwhp on a dynojet at only 16psi of boost (stock boost is 11.6 and there were people around Tampa pushing 23psi!). The thing was massively over-engineered. For example, Craig Paisley typically runs the 1/4 mile in the upper 8s in his white Supra. This is the same vehicle that he drives to the track! His car pushes 1000 hp to the wheels on the stock drivetrain! The Supra was known as a "snake eater" because with a $42k car and about $3k in mods it would leave Vipers standing still. And it had creature comforts that the snake didn't have (and things like ABS, too!).

Alas, that car has been traded in and is now for sale in Virginia Beach. (Check out www-dot-olx-dot-com and try searching for "1659453", since that seems to be the "sale ID" number. Stupid forum rules. And yes, that's a custom paint job.)

I will say that my 335i is a step down from the Supra in terms of performance (of course). But I'll also say that the level of luxury is an order of magnitude higher than any of my previous vehicles and the car still handles very well. (I've never understood BMW's use of struts in the front, but I certainly can't complain about handling so whatever they've done, "they done it right".)

I attended a BMW CCA autox (for results, go to www-dot-fscbmwcca-dot-org and click on "Driving Calendar", then "2007 Results"; then search for "Frank Edwards") for the Florida Suncoast region back in late May. Remember: this is my first time autox'ing this car and the car had maybe 600 miles on it at the time. There were 6 cars in the class including myself. I came in 2nd Place, only 1s behind the leader on a 50s course. And the leader is a female M3 driver with YEARS of experience driving her car.

I'm expecting to go back in Sept or Oct (when it cools down a bit!) and kick some M3 butt!

Any moron can drop the clutch and go (reasonably) fast in a straight line. But most of the performance on the twisties comes from a single component: the human behind the wheel. I've seen an old Datsun 2002 kick some serious butt at a National-level autox...

Sorry, started to ramble. I'll shut up now.
    M550i Sedan; tanzanite blue/white Nappa leather (list of options coming soon).

Was: 335i Coupe; silver/dark AT with Sport and Premium pkgs, includes paddle shifters; brake booster valve replaced (twice now); oil cooler no longer a top priority.

My Cars
    E92 335i; E53 4.4i
    Quote Originally Posted by vitoal18t View Post
    S4 is slow? where have you been? BiTurbo S4 is one of the coolest street cars ever . I am actually using it as a benchmark for future purposes. I've driven E46 M3, 335i, Z4 M Coupe, X5, 535i and when I get back into S4 I still say wow!
    I'm sure you have a lot more seat time in each of these cars than I have, but I have the exact opposite feeling. In particular, I found the M3 and 335 to have a much greater "wow" factor than the S4. Obviously, not saying you're wrong- just personal/subjective impressions. That being said, I did really like the interior, brakes and exhaust note of the S4.

My Cars
    1.8T Jetta, Focus 2.3
    All right!

My friend finally got his 535i. Not 335i, but close, just more weight .

All I can say is WOW! I drove the car, aggressively and was very impressed! I generally don't consider myself a fan of SUVs or luxury boats, but I get impressed every time I drive my parent's X5 or my friends 535i.

Let's just say 535i vs EVO IX is pretty darn close. Yes, EVO walks 535i, but doesn't blow bimmer's paint off. Yes, 535i is faster than stock B5 S4. In case of 335i it would be a hairsplitter. And I would expect 335i to have an edge over EVO on the freeway and of course the Autobahn.

I can't weight for that TT I-6 engine to get into E46 based 135i that will surely blow the paint off my EVO, not to say while rolling in luxury!

GREAT JOB BMW!

My Cars
    335i coupe,6MT,sprt,package
    I dont know why people are always comparing the evo against the 335.They are two completly different cars.

My Cars
    07 335i Coupe 6MT
    Every car is different. You compare cars of similar speed and performance to each other regardless of their look or "status."

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny 335i View Post
    I dont know why people are always comparing the evo against the 335.They are two completly different cars.
    IMO they are compared because they are both turbo engines. Some people are turbo fanatics and will not consider an NA car. my bet is many STI/Evo enthusiasts only started paying attention to the 3 series once the 335 was introduced (even though the M3 was a worthy competitor). Now performance aside, the 2 cars are in a different league. One has the racer boy looks and attitude, while the other is a more mature, reasonably luxurious, far superior overall automobile. Like comparing a fine bred stallion to a fast terrier!
    Current Car (delivered 20/10/21): 2021 G80 M3; 6MT; DravitGrau/Kyalami Orange/Black Extended Merino; Permium Pkg (ZPP); 826M bicolor wheels; Black M Compound brakes; Sunroof (yes no CF roof)
    (more pictures here)

Previous Cars: 2018 F30 340ix 6MT Msport(Dec 2017 - Sep 2021); 2013 F30 335ix 6MT Msport (Nov 2013-17); 2011 e90 328i 6MT ZSP (Aug 10-Nov 13); 07 e90-323i ZSP (May 07 - Aug 10); 97-318ti ZSP (Feb 97 - May 07)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens", Friedrich von Schiller -- "Life is simple, people make it complicated", Me (About me)

My Cars
    1.8T Jetta, Focus 2.3
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny 335i View Post
    Very very different cars! Comparing 335i vs. EVO is almost the same as comparing a superbike 1000cc vs. chrome Harley!

Yet, today EVO is a benchmark of performance. And general idea is that 40k car should be better than 26k car. Basically BMW delivers! In a way that there is no comparison between the two cars. BMW is worth the premium cost. That's the whole point!

I got a fast car (EVO IX), w/ great handling, weak boy racer styling, no interior, horrible sound insulation, annoying turbo lag and rough bouncy ride, but all for 26k. You got a fast good handling car, w/ minor compromise in performance in favor of luxury and daily character, w/ great style, comfortable seats, and hidden vaniga magnet. You paid more money, and got a better car!

That's how it should be! Can't say the same for a guy driving a Jaguar .

Isn't it great to live in the world where more money gets you better toys!

Personally, being a big Audi/BMW fan I'd hate to see them become overpriced snob-mobile, with tons of bling-bling, all show and no go! I think w/ 335i we are safe for now.

My Cars
    335i coupe,6MT,sprt,package
    The reason i posted what i did is because i had 2 Evo,s. An 03 8 which i traded in for an 06 BR350 IX. After hearing about the 335 from a fellow Evo owner who was buying one and keeping his evo also,I researched everything about the 335.Turning 50 my taste in cars are changing and i was ready for a car like the 335i coupe.After test driving one i sold the IX 2 weeks later and ordered the 335 coupe,space grey met.,sport pack,alum trim w/black leather,6spd MT. I should have it in about 2 weeks after ordering it june 6th. I will never have a bad thing to say about the Evo even though i know i,m going to love the BMW. Like i said,they are two completly different cars. The Evo in my opinion is still the best bang for the buck as far as RAW performance goes,(especially when modded even slightly). But i,m ready for civilized ( i guess you call it) performance now over the raw performance of the Evo.If i could afford it i would have kept the Evo to keep the 335 company (LOL).

My Cars
    1.8T Jetta, Focus 2.3
    YO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am sure everyone is having fun arguing! In reality BMW sux because I have an EVO. Joking!!!

My buddy got PROcede "chip" for his 535i. WOW!!!!!!

Stock vs. Stock I was walking him!

Now we are hanging side by side. He starts creeping up to me as soon as we hit around 80. Of course, it's unsafe to go faster on public highways. But I can predict that PROceded 535i will school stock EVO IX RS on 100+ MPH run.

In a week he is getting V2 upgrade, which supposed to add 40HP. We'll see what happens .

I can't wait for 135i to come out . BMW is really kicking butt!!!!

My Cars
    98 328i/5, 00 540iT/6
    Having driven a 335i, a 135i, races a few 335s and owning an evo, the evo is faster, handles better, tho the ride sucks compares to the 135 or 335.
    Ive got 1200ish in the evo and am near 500whp.
    Can the bimmer do that?

My Cars
    M6, X5, Z3, M3, M5
    Quote Originally Posted by wisewendell View Post
    Having driven a 335i, a 135i, races a few 335s and owning an evo, the evo is faster, handles better, tho the ride sucks compares to the 135 or 335.
    Ive got 1200ish in the evo and am near 500whp.
    Can the bimmer do that?
    Well "Wendy"....

I took early retirement from the nuclear weapons complex seven years ago with degrees in physics and engineering to pursue my interests in driving.

I have also "races" many of the same vehicles you claim to have driven. Add to that the 1M, the X5M, the X6M, the M2, the M4, the M5, the M6 (both the V10 and the twin turbo V8 versions)... Oh hell, perhaps you get the idea.

On a number of tracks like Road Atlanta, Virginia International Raceway, Homestead Miami, the Thermal Club, Laguna Seca, Pikes Peak... well, perhaps you get the idea again.

I have test driven and raced against Evos, Subarus, and other sorts of similar dross and dreck.

While the crude unrefined nature of those so called performance cars might appeal to Millennials such as yourself who peck at a keyboard from a spare bedroom in your parent's basement, believe those of us who tell you we would prefer to sandpaper the ass end of a crocodile while in a phone booth rather than drive one of those.

Just sayin' bro.
    The collection -
    2006 E63 M6
    2002 Z3 3.0i (Kid's car)
    2016 F15 X5 50i twin turbo wife's menopause car
    1995 E36 M3 Supercharged
    1988 E28 M5 (????????)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123