Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BMW 335i vs. EVO IX???

My Cars
    1.8T Jetta, Focus 2.3

BMW 335i vs. EVO IX???

Hey guys,

Speaking of Acceleraton ONLY. Do you think 335i can keep up w/ EVO IX from a roll?

I have EVO IX RS now for track purposes (works great), but I am getting irritated w/ it's civil character. After Audi BiTurbo S4, EVO IX RS is a royal pain at low speed, especially in San Francisco (instead of concentrating on my girlfriend I play around w/ the clutch trying to make that 4cyl climb steepest SF hills. Work Work Work! . I used to have 2.3L Focus that was easier to drive

I want to lease 335i and wouldn't mind having EVO like acceleration in awesome luxury car.

My friend is getting 535i, I expect him to stay close w/ me . Any ideas?

Doing "bench racing" it seems that 335i should be on par w/ EVO IX in acceleration department.

Thank you!

My Cars
    07 335i Coupe 6MT
    The EVO isn't that fast, unless you drop the clutch you can expect pretty normal acceleration. My NA Z was about as fast, and my 335i is leaps faster.

My Cars
    16 M3, 90 525i, 05 Evo 8
    Coming from an EVO IX to a 335, the Evo will beat the 335 on Pure acceleration.

A PROcede 335 will whoop an evo though.

My Cars
    07 335i Coupe 6MT
    Coming from a 350Z who EVO's alway thought they were faster than...335i is faster.

More HP, more TQ...mo faster.

My Cars
    race or street?
    Quote Originally Posted by GraphiteBrawler View Post

Same, but I have not modded mt 335 so I don't know about piggyback 335 units. I lightly modded my Evo and it accelerated a LOT harder than my 335.

My Cars
    2007 Tundra , 2008 M3
    I have a 335i with a TT and I got beat by a IX the other day at a 30mph start. It did have exhaust and could of had some other things done to it. The 335i will start having lots of mods coming out soon plus you can't beat the nice ride and the fantastic interior detials of the 335i for the price. (My opinion)

My Cars
    1.8T Jetta, Focus 2.3
    Quote Originally Posted by GraphiteBrawler View Post

Thanks!

I it makes a lot of sense!

There is a huge difference between "feels fast" and actually faster. I thought that my stock S4 had a chance against my own stock EVO. S4 felt like it was quick especially starting from lower RPMs. Tough luck! S4 was like VW Bug against an EVO . Shorter gears, lighter weight and 19psi propel the EVO well.

The only cars that kicked my butt so far where C6 Vette and GT3 Porsche.

I would expect PROcede 335 to whoop EVO's butt, numbers make sense.

How is the mileage??? Does it get decent 23MPG City/Highway combined?

How does it pull in 6th gear? Can you go 25MPH in 6th gear without bogging the engine? My S4 used to pull it off all the time.

My Cars
    07 335i Coupe 6MT
    0-60 in 4.8 and a 1/4 at 13.5 isn't feeling fast it is fast.

An S4 is slow, and EVOs can be made faster with the same ease as adding the TT or Vishnu setup.

My Cars
    1.8T Jetta, Focus 2.3
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    0-60 in 4.8 and a 1/4 at 13.5 isn't feeling fast it is fast.

An S4 is slow, and EVOs can be made faster with the same ease as adding the TT or Vishnu setup.

S4 is slow? where have you been? BiTurbo S4 is one of the coolest street cars ever . I am actually using it as a benchmark for future purposes. I've driven E46 M3, 335i, Z4 M Coupe, X5, 535i and when I get back into S4 I still say wow!

Sure TT 350Z is quick, but K04 S4 ain't that bad either .

The reason 335i caught my eye is I suspect it's a "cheater"! These days it takes roughly $60,000 to get EVO like performance in a luxury car. A.K.A. Porsche Cayman S.

I think that this time around BMW "cheated" in our favor w/ 335i. Since it's a really powerful luxury car, close to EVO IX, but w/ only 40k price tag!

335i has great interior, good styling especially in a coupe and well over 300HP.
    I am sure it's more fun to drive than 7 year old S4 and I am sure it can keep up w/ EVO IX or STi w/ a piggy back.

Let's hope that German automakers take EVO IX and STi as performance benchmarks and build sub $45,000 luxury cars for the rest of us . BMW 335i is a step in the right direction . Now they need to use composite technology to bring the weight back down to 3,000lbs.
    Last edited by vitoal18t; 06-18-2007 at 07:26 PM.

My Cars
    335i
    The 335 is still very quick, I believe as quick if not quicker than the IX.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgl4co3Ef3M

Here is a street run, however real life testing of the Evo has shown 0 - 100 times of about 5.6 (Wheels magazine STI v's Evo IX). We all know the 335 is quicker than that.

Make up your own mind, the IX feels quick because of the turbo punch after the substantial lag, however the 335 is totally linear in its delivery, hence it may not feel as quick.

My Cars
    318i Lux Convertible
    I would say real world, EVO 9... Just an Opinion, never been in either!!
    Last edited by M50PoweredE30; 06-18-2007 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Just watched video, changed my mind... 335i all day long

Old Skool, New Skool.... I never went to School!

My Cars
    07 335i Coupe 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by vitoal18t View Post
    S4 is slow? where have you been? BiTurbo S4 is one of the coolest street cars ever . I am actually using it as a benchmark for future purposes. I've driven E46 M3, 335i, Z4 M Coupe, X5, 535i and when I get back into S4 I still say wow!

Sure TT 350Z is quick, but K04 S4 ain't that bad either .

The reason 335i caught my eye is I suspect it's a "cheater"! These days it takes roughly $60,000 to get EVO like performance in a luxury car. A.K.A. Porsche Cayman S.

I think that this time around BMW "cheated" in our favor w/ 335i. Since it's a really powerful luxury car, close to EVO IX, but w/ only 40k price tag!

335i has great interior, good styling especially in a coupe and well over 300HP.
    I am sure it's more fun to drive than 7 year old S4 and I am sure it can keep up w/ EVO IX or STi w/ a piggy back.

Let's hope that German automakers take EVO IX and STi as performance benchmarks and build sub $45,000 luxury cars for the rest of us . BMW 335i is a step in the right direction . Now they need to use composite technology to bring the weight back down to 3,000lbs.
    The B5 S4 wasn't really quick stock, and like most FI cars can be made faster for less money.

The B6/B7 S4 really isn't that fast...0-60 around 5.2, slower for auto. IT's a nice ride, like I said. I had a B6 A4, would have liked the S4 but it wasn't a good deal and was about 12K more than the 335 I got, which is faster.

And weight at 3K is impossible. There aren't many cars that weigh that, that are safe and quiet. 250,000 Ferrari's weigh more than that. The dream of a race car for the street is way more expensive than most people want to understand.

My Cars
    1.8T Jetta, Focus 2.3
    Well great!

BMW did it . That's exactly what I want, nice pick-up in a german body w/ a reasonalbe price.

Also if I remember correctly 335i was only few seconds behind EvO IX at Laguna Seca test, not bad for a luxury car.

Thanks1

My Cars
    07 335i Coupe 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by vitoal18t View Post
    Well great!

BMW did it . That's exactly what I want, nice pick-up in a german body w/ a reasonalbe price.

Also if I remember correctly 335i was only few seconds behind EvO IX at Laguna Seca test, not bad for a luxury car.

Thanks1
    NO where did I say that the 335 was a better track car, although I'm betting a few mods to the suspension will help it.

The EVO is a brilliant track car, but it's not a missile off the line unless you break it.

Lots of people would be faster with a big V8 and a big forgiving torque curve, but we like to feel like a race car and drive high revving cars, but don't want to drive them as hard as they need to be.

My Cars
    318i Lux Convertible
    Did you see the New Audi A5

My Cars
    07 335i Coupe 6MT
    A5 or S5...I like it just wasn't coming out in the time I needed to buy a car.

My Cars
    1.8T Jetta, Focus 2.3
    Make the car out of composites and it will be 3K. Just a matter of technology. Make the body panels out of plastic . We'll figure it out.

Yea Audi really dropped the ball w/ B6/B7 S4. Ride is great, but it's not a performance machine.

Race cars for the street are already happening! The trick is to keep street character and improve speed, while keeping the cost down. Porsche GT3 is just that minus the low cost .

Today any idiot can buy EVO IX and go as fast as 20 year old Porsche, it's safe to assume that in 20 years we might have affordable cars that will match 2007 GT3 performance.

Technology is out there, we just have to demand it as a consumer.

My Cars
    07 335i Coupe 6MT
    Most cars use plastic. 335i bumper, front fenders...plastic.

3K seems like a good number to those who don't really know what it takes to make a car and what things weight.

List the cars you know that are under 3K and ones that you'd buy.

I can list RX8....should have the weight of a V6 in there so it actually goes.
    Lotus...45-50K for a car with no sound deadening and the size of my shoe...no thanks.

Z06 is about 3K and cost 80K...all other excotics are super expensive and usually weigh in a 3400.

It's not that easy to reduce weight...because it's not some secret that just came out, they know that weight affects everything about a car, but there are certain standards and prices they must meet. You want this super light car...you'll pay for it.

My Cars
    M6, X5, Z3, M3, M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    Most cars use plastic. 335i bumper, front fenders...plastic.

3K seems like a good number to those who don't really know what it takes to make a car and what things weight.

List the cars you know that are under 3K and ones that you'd buy.

I can list RX8....should have the weight of a V6 in there so it actually goes.
    Lotus...45-50K for a car with no sound deadening and the size of my shoe...no thanks.

Z06 is about 3K and cost 80K...all other excotics are super expensive and usually weigh in a 3400.

It's not that easy to reduce weight...because it's not some secret that just came out, they know that weight affects everything about a car, but there are certain standards and prices they must meet. You want this super light car...you'll pay for it.
    Hello "Beer Goggles":

Now compare the NA exotics against the 335i TT at my altitude and ask me again why I smile so much going up against these behemoths? Sure, do I look worried?

My Cars
    335sedan/530i
    I dont think the 335 is faster than the Evo or STI. Btw I used to drive an STI

335 Jetblack/Lemon,STEP,SP,PP,CA(RFT)SOLD
    2009 Corvette z06

My Cars
    07 335i Coupe 6MT
    What we think and what is tested are two different things

2007 BMW 335i 4.8 13.3 (Edmunds.com)

2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR 4.5 13.3 (MT Dec '05)

2006 Subaru WRX STI 4.5 13.0 MT Dec '05)

The STi is a little quicker, but here's the thing. None of these cars were tested at the same time, nor do we know which ones are corrected numbers (magazines often use a correction factor)

At best it shows the cars are realistically about the same, although those with a AWD turbo car know it's not easy to get those numbers.

But there aren't too many people than can feel the difference between a 13.0 and a 13.3 without a timer.

My Cars
    1.8T Jetta, Focus 2.3
    Well,

sounds like you know your cars Beer Goggles.

I am just hinting that if mass produced cars where to seek weight savings, eventually it would be affordable to all of us, just price in volume.

I think weight reduction is going to be NEXT step in automotive field at some point! W/ fuel cells and diesels and all the other cool stuff being only 30% efficient in real world applications weight reduction along w/ low friction materials will be required to further improve fuel efficiency and emissions. It's coming, but maybe only in 50 years.

Sorry I am getting off topic!

335i is an awesome car! I sent my younger brother to test drive some cars (he also has EVO), he was amazed by 335i. He drove automatic version and said it was not as fast as EVO, but w/ 6MT and piggy back we both can see it kicking EVOs butt.

He also drove CLK550 and was impressed by pure power, although 335i was more interesting and had more "gadgets", not sure what he meant.

Hopefully I'll own 335i very soon!

Thanks.

My Cars
    318i Lux Convertible
    when you out on the town...

Whats better to say:

I have a BMW parked outside or I have a Mitsibushi Parked outside

Think that sorts it... TYVM

My Cars
    94+95 E34, '07 335i E92
    Depends on if you are going for Golddiggers or not.

My Cars
    2007 335i sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by M50PoweredE30 View Post
    when you out on the town...

Whats better to say:

I have a BMW parked outside or I have a Mitsibushi Parked outside

Think that sorts it... TYVM
    Current Rides: 2007 BMW 335i Sedan 6MT Montego Blue (took delivery 7/9/2007), 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi (for sale), 2004 Mazda RX-8 6MT
    Fondly Remember: 1988 Porsche 924S, 1992 Mitsu 3000GT SL, 2001 BMW Z3 2.5i

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast