Thread: when braking at higher speeds my steering wheel shakes

My Cars
    1986 528e

when braking at higher speeds my steering wheel shakes

I have a 1986 528e, Here's my problem I know my power steering pump is going out because it squeels when I turn the steering wheel when the car is cold, but it's fine when it's warmed up. So i'm guessing it's my p/s. Now,what would be causing my steering wheel to shake like crazy when i put on the brakes at a high speed? Like exiting on a freeway off ramp? HELP!

My Cars
    '91 535i 5spd
    Upper control arm bushings are shot.
    Replace upper control arms.

My Cars
    e28 520i
    what Travis said. your issue could also be a problem with the steering box if u have alot of play in it.

But the bushings are propably shot. jack up the car and take a look, if they are shot they are totaly smushed together and propably have a crack or two.

also check the upper control arms and see if they are bent in any way.

i had this issue on my 75' 2002 i replaced the bushings and control arms and everything was back to normal.

BMW 1987 e28 520i (now) ROD 16x7.5 ContiSport Contact2 205x55r16, Koenig e800 seats,
    Sabelt 4 point harnesses, KAW Suspension 45mm front 40 rear, Sandtler 30mm steering wheel
    BMW 1975 2002 (sold)

My Cars
    E36, E6, G80
    If it is the upper control arm bushings, replace them with new arms with 750 bushings pressed in. They are beefier then the standard e28 bushings. Steve Haygood at www.stevehaygood.com sells them pre-machined and pressed into lemfoerder upper control arms.

I installed a set in my e28 and my friend's e34.
    1974 BMW 2002 Touring
    1996 Alpina B3 3.2 Touring
    1996 Alpina B8 4.6 Touring
    2023 BMW M3

My Cars
    e28 m535i
    When I had troubles with my steering components I had shimmy at cruising speeds.If it only shimmy's when you brake your front rotors are most likely finished or its a combo of the two. If you are able to lift the front of your car try playing with the wheels In/out look for ANY signs of movement if none I would be confident that the rotors have become spongy. let me know the outcome.

My Cars
    '13 E92 M3; '11 E82 1M..
    Quote Originally Posted by MontrealM535i View Post
    When I had troubles with my steering components I had shimmy at cruising speeds.If it only shimmy's when you brake your front rotors are most likely finished or its a combo of the two. If you are able to lift the front of your car try playing with the wheels In/out look for ANY signs of movement if none I would be confident that the rotors have become spongy. let me know the outcome.
    Rotors last a long time, there has been lengthy discussion about the "warped" rotor issue. These problems or more, indications of failing/failed control arms. Warped rotors will be present no matter the speed, I've dealt with truly warped rotors -- it won't only show itself when braking from speed.

My Cars
    535 IS E-28
    Quote Originally Posted by MontrealM535i View Post
    ..what he said, had the same problem and my front rotors are groved..

My Cars
    bmw 535i
    For what it's worth, the same symptoms were being exhibited by my 86 535i-rotors were grooved-replaced and problem was almost completely solved. The shimmy was still happening at low speed but was just less noticable. Good luck! Doug in Ct
    Last edited by thirdworldman; 06-22-2007 at 12:35 PM. Reason: error

My Cars
    '84 M635CSi, '86 M5, '99 540i/6, '04 XC70
    It's control arm bushings as stated above. Warped rotors will be obvious at most speeds. I have the same problem with my M5, and the brakes were just inspected and are fine. I just have to find the time to replace the upper control arms (and a few other suspension bits).
    Jay
    '84 M635CSi
    '86 M5
    '88 325i Cabrio

My Cars
    88 is
    You need new tires bad!!