RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Idle dies on cold start up '93 318i

My Cars
    '01 740il; '06 325i

Idle dies on cold start up '93 318i

When cold starting on my '93 318i the car will start, hunt for idle than die. I have to keep the revs up until the car warms up then the idle wont die. But, the idle continues to dip down then recover. Any ideas as to what's wrong? Thanks.

My Cars
    92 BMW 325i
    My guess is that if its unable to hold idle, then its probably your idle control valve. I would look there first. My mom's 528 had a similar problem, it couldn't hold idle and would die unless you kept your foot on the gas.

Jeffrey

My Cars
    1993 318i
    I also have a 1993 318i, and have found that the symptoms that you describe are usually from a vacuum leak. Check all hoses for cracks and/or loose connections. You can also check all engine seals by spraying carb cleaner on them. If there is a leak, then the carb cleaner will cause the engine to stumble.

So far, over the life of my car (I am the original owner), I have had four separate vacuum leaks. One was from a cracked hose (the air flow meter boot that goes from the air box to the throttle body), and the other three were from loose hoses that had popped off their connections.

You can see a description of the latest problem at http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...threadid=73349

I have also found that cleaning the MAF (mass air flow) sensor helps idle as well. You can clean it by spraying electrical parts cleaner (available at most auto supply stores and Walmart) on it and then letting it air dry. You can find the MAF by unclipping the air cleaner box cover and looking down it.
    1993 BMW 318i
    4-cylinder 1.8L MTX
    127,000 miles
    4-door (Color: Cashmere)

Replaced air flow meter boot (cracked), spark plugs, rear shock mounts (left side busted) & shocks, driver-side plastic window sliding pieces (broken 2x), 02 sensor, exhaust support bracket/shackle (rusted through), and thermostat

My Cars
    '01 740il; '06 325i
    Thanks for the info guys! Hey GPappas are you also over on bimmerfans?

My Cars
    BMW
    I have a 93 318is and have the same problem. I was looking on here to see if anyone else has. I am going to check the ICV and look for leaks tomorrow at work.

My Cars
    Hellrot
    I have the same problem, start car-idle dies-hold down the gas until it idles. I've been contemplating using carb cleaner but I would only be able to use it when the engine is hot and able to maintain idle. Do I need to worry about fire? All carb cleaners are flammable and warn against testing with a hot or running engine. Any advice.

btw the car makes a hissing noise heard from the drivers seat coming from the throttle butterfly area under the hood. Def a vacum leak but most likely not a hose since it idle after it warmns up. Might be something metalic that expands after the engine warms and stops the leak, causing it to idle. thanks