Thread: Video: Airbag Light ON after slaloming.

My Cars
    Bf.cAcclaim-m3 going in storage for the billboard!

Video: Airbag Light ON after slaloming.

So last night around midnight I was on my way home. I was going down the last stretch of road before my home when I decided to give the car a 1 lane slalom. I swayed back and forth not even breaking the tires loose. I did this for about 5 seconds and when I stop swaying (still at ~50) I notice my airbag light has turned on.

It will come on in the first position of the ignition and blink once, then stay on.

Vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOCr1ZxFYWw

I am thinking I broke a wire in the steering wheel airbag? I know I will need to get it read, I was just wondering If someone has seen this and fixed it.
    Thank you
    -JD

edit:Ok. so the light came back on.

I was not sure but I believe it was the pass. seatbelt sensor. This sound correct? Ill have to check w/cstang again.

He was saying I need to remove the sensor and re-solder the wires.

Further assistance is much appreciated. thanks bfc
    Last edited by JohnDojah; 06-17-2007 at 04:25 AM.

My Cars
    '99 Dakar M3 '09 SpGy M5
    Most likely the seatbelt sensor. It's usually the passenger side. Mine is on too.

My Cars
    does it flicker on and off when you turn the key? Then stay on?

My Cars
    e28, Spec3, M3, M3, ZHP
    The PO of my car had his airbag light stay on all the time. Problem turned out to be the seat sensor and had to take the whole seat apart to get it fixed. The light comes on, but it defaults to deploy in the event of an accident. I think the bill was around $500 from the dealer and the car wouldn't pass VA inspection because one of the warning lights was on.

Not sure if this helps, but it will give you another place to look.
    Andrew Elmore

My Cars
    Yea I know there are seat sensors, belt sensors, door sensors, bumper sensors, and more. I was just wondering if anyone could recognize the problem specifically from the video, although I know the problem will need to be read.

Guess Ill just go looking for a cool mechanic today...

My Cars
    bump. mechanic said I have to wait till tomorrow.

My Cars
    98 m3/4/5, 2000 323i
    I can't believe that no one has said this yet... Find someone locally who has a Peake SRS reset tool. The passenger's side seat sensor is a common problem that sets off the airbag light and the Peake tool frequently puts the light out.

Its a common tool and a lot of people have it. Make sure its the SRS reset tool though... NOT the CEL reset tool.

What happens basically here is that a one time glitch will sometimes set a computer fault that will not clear by itself. If its a real issue, it will not clear or it will come back very soon after you clear it.

My story is that SRS light went on in my car about 4 months ago. I invested in the Peake tool (~$140) figuring it was an investment (SRS light had gone on for the previous owner also). Five minutes with the Peake tool and the light went out. It has not come back.

By the way, even though it literally takes about 2 minutes to do this operation and only requires a $140 tool, dealerships typically charge >$90 to do this. I've been quoted $45 by an indie mechanic ("30 minutes" labor) Thats why I bought the tool.

dan

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I've got the SRS tool in san diego.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by cstang68 View Post
    I've got the SRS tool in san diego.
    PM sent

anyone else local?

I have a feeling it has something to do with the wheel it self. I heard a clicking sound a few times a few weeks ago and id assume it is either the spring loaded tensioner for the airbag or the wheel lock mechanism...
    I did just get a call back from the pick-a-part and they do have 1 e36 m3 in...hasn't been touched yet...

They said the airbag blew but the wheel/column/rack is all intact....parts time tomorrow!

rcM3 is offline baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah...
    My Cars
    '98 M3/2, '09 Cooper S
    A lot of times this will come on and stay off once reset (like with me...).

500 is way too much for the seat belt tensioner. Its a 95 dolar part that requires removing 6 bolts and ~15 minutes to replace.

My Cars
    I have a feeling its not a sensor...

Hopefully the mechanic will look at it again (for a 6 pack) with his 3000$ scanner everyone raves about. I have gone to him 1 time b4. When i got the car, the ABS light was on and he scanned it for free (it was the pedal travel sensor). He did it b/c the "German" shop next door wanted to charge me .

He was closing today but said to come tomorrow. If not I will need to make a new buddy on here with that tool this weekend...*ahhemmm* cstang68

My Cars
    ****** mechanic! I drove all the way to his shop (2 hrs total traffic!) for his ass to get mad at me for showing up at 3:30. I was there at 4:30 yesterday and that was understandable. I had finals all day then drove 100 miles (total) to be told "Come back tomorrow. Were busy"

We all know it takes 1 minute.

bump. Anyone closer?

Looks like im driving 160 miles tonight to meet up with cstang68 in Escondido!

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by drsides View Post
    I can't believe that no one has said this yet... Find someone locally who has a Peake SRS reset tool. The passenger's side seat sensor is a common problem that sets off the airbag light and the Peake tool frequently puts the light out.

Its a common tool and a lot of people have it. Make sure its the SRS reset tool though... NOT the CEL reset tool.

What happens basically here is that a one time glitch will sometimes set a computer fault that will not clear by itself. If its a real issue, it will not clear or it will come back very soon after you clear it.

My story is that SRS light went on in my car about 4 months ago. I invested in the Peake tool (~$140) figuring it was an investment (SRS light had gone on for the previous owner also). Five minutes with the Peake tool and the light went out. It has not come back.

By the way, even though it literally takes about 2 minutes to do this operation and only requires a $140 tool, dealerships typically charge >$90 to do this. I've been quoted $45 by an indie mechanic ("30 minutes" labor) Thats why I bought the tool.

dan
    and the winner is...drsides for the EXACT CORRECT RESPONSE *knock on wood* and especially cstang68 for the tool to reset tonight.
    's

150 miles...but, who cares when your in the M.

I owe you one Chris. Anyone wants to sell an Airbag reset tool PM me. And if anyone ever needs a CEL/service reset in SoCal hit me up...

My Cars
    Ok. so the light came back on.

I was not sure but I believe it was the pass. seatbelt sensor. This sound correct? Ill have to check w/cstang again.

He was saying I need to remove the sensor and re-solder the wires.

Further assistance is much appreciated. thanks bfc

My Cars
    bump ...please

My Cars
    1995 M3
    It was the passenger seatbelt sensor.

My Cars
    thanks again man...

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by rcM3 View Post
    A lot of times this will come on and stay off once reset (like with me...).

500 is way too much for the seat belt tensioner. Its a 95 dolar part that requires removing 6 bolts and ~15 minutes to replace.
    I got the tensioner trigger fault. It will not clear. Mechanic said it was $100 for the part and about $250 for labor to remove the seat replace the tensioner, mess with the wires, etc.

Does anyone have a DIY for this? Is this the part I need? LOWER BELT WITH RIGHT BELT TENSIONER 72118221014 $114.95 Or is the "left" belt tensioner since when you sit in the passenger seat the clip is on your left?

FWIW, I did the passenger seat sensor about two years ago. So having to do this as well is pissing me off. Friggin SRS system!
    97 Estoril/Black M3/4/5

"Although we've experienced an M3 sedan with an automatic, our test car came fitted as God intended, with a 5-speed manual ..."
    Road & Track May 1997, testing the M3 Sedan

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan
    Here's the OEM drawing.

LOWER BELT WITH RIGHT BELT TENSIONER 72118221014 $114.95
    Attached Images Attached Images
    97 Estoril/Black M3/4/5

"Although we've experienced an M3 sedan with an automatic, our test car came fitted as God intended, with a 5-speed manual ..."
    Road & Track May 1997, testing the M3 Sedan