Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my m5 starts, and then dies immediately! HELP!

My Cars
    00 BMW M5, 06 IS350

my m5 starts, and then dies immediately! HELP!

I dont know what happened, the car has been driving nicely and it feels more powerful then ever. All of a sudden, i had to go to the supermarket earlier today and i start up the car, everything sounded right and within a few seconds, the car dies on me. I have tried it at least 10 times and this same thing happens. The car starts, and it bogs, and then dies. I have installed new headlights Proj39 in the last few days, but i doubt that has anything to do with it. Anyone have any ideas?

.:2000 BMW M5 - Black /// LED taillights, AFE Cold Air Intake w/ bumper ducts, CF Grill, MKIV Nav + Screen, SS Magnum Exhaust, Proj39 AE Xenon HeadLights

My Cars
    Way too many
    Didn't you do the AFE Intakes as well? Check the intake area for anything out of the ordinary (MAFS too).
    BMWCCA Member: #458927
    Current BMW's:
    2010 X5 Diesel
    2000 M5, Sport, DSP
    1999 540iA Sport, DSP
    Prior BMW's:
    2007 750i Sport, L7
    2007 335i Sport, L7
    2004 X5 4.8iS
    1997 M3 Coupe

My Cars
    m52 powered
    cam position sensor would be my guess. do you have a obd-II scanner or access to one? get the codes and we'll know what's wrong.

Were you in Indiana a couple nights ago on US 41? I saw/ heard a really mean sounding black e39.

My Cars
    00 BMW M5, 06 IS350
    Quote Originally Posted by NEVER2LOW View Post
    Didn't you do the AFE Intakes as well? Check the intake area for anything out of the ordinary (MAFS too).
    yeah i did, i looked at them and they look normal, i was getting scared maybe the intake fell off bc maybe it wasnt secured enough to the hose and cicadas flew into the engine through the bumper intake holes i made. We have like a million cicadas, i killed at least 5 in 10 minutes of driving earlier today.

Could the maf's cause the car to die? I did try cleaning them a few days ago, maybe i made a mistake or screwed them up? The car had been driving good for the past few days.

.:2000 BMW M5 - Black /// LED taillights, AFE Cold Air Intake w/ bumper ducts, CF Grill, MKIV Nav + Screen, SS Magnum Exhaust, Proj39 AE Xenon HeadLights

My Cars
    00 BMW M5, 06 IS350
    Quote Originally Posted by e39dream View Post
    cam position sensor would be my guess. do you have a obd-II scanner or access to one? get the codes and we'll know what's wrong.

Were you in Indiana a couple nights ago on US 41? I saw/ heard a really mean sounding black e39.
    i was on US41 but in the chicagoland area sorry probably wasn't me.

what do u guys think of the fuel pump relay?

My Cars
    Pull n Release
    Quote Originally Posted by ellinopedo182 View Post
    i was on US41 but in the chicagoland area sorry probably wasn't me.

what do u guys think of the fuel pump relay?
    It could be but try to fill up the tank and see what happens. Could be the fuel pump itself. Or as simple as the fuel filter but honestly I dont know how these bimmers act when the filter is clogged to crap. Try the full fuel tank bit and see what happens. If it works just fine then let it run its course. If it starts to shut off again, its the pump.

Another FP5241 Creation
    Parting out M54 Engine. Intake and all. Cats avail as well. PM ME!

My Cars
    00 BMW M5, 06 IS350
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbi4u View Post
    It could be but try to fill up the tank and see what happens. Could be the fuel pump itself. Or as simple as the fuel filter but honestly I dont know how these bimmers act when the filter is clogged to crap. Try the full fuel tank bit and see what happens. If it works just fine then let it run its course. If it starts to shut off again, its the pump.
    its easier to fill up the car if i could actually get it to a gas station lol. i do have +1/4 tank of gas, so i dont know why it would be a problem. I'm going to try to install the new MAF's i got, but im skeptical about that being the problem.

My Cars
    M5, E61

My Cars
    m52 powered
    mafs not the problem- it will run with them unplugged (it should)

My Cars
    00 BMW M5, 06 IS350
    mafs not the problem- it will run with them unplugged (it should)
    thats what i thought. Its weird how all of a sudden the car can just die after driving normal and perfect.

My Cars
    Pull n Release
    Yep Maf isnt the issue here. Most likely a fuel supply issue. Filter (best case scenario) and the pump (worst case)

When was the last time you changed the fuel filter?

Another FP5241 Creation

My Cars
    m52 powered
    the cam position sensor causes this type of no start, was fine the other day issue. I dunno if the m5 has one or two cps sensors but I'd search m5board.com and see what comes up- I think the sensors are less than 100 bucks each.

My Cars
    00 BMW M5, 06 IS350
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbi4u View Post
    Yep Maf isnt the issue here. Most likely a fuel supply issue. Filter (best case scenario) and the pump (worst case)

When was the last time you changed the fuel filter?
    Ok, so... i went outside to start the car up again, again... no luck. Did it three times. I'm like wtf, so i opened the hood and disconnected the MAF sensors wires and started up the car no problem... other than the rough idle if u tried pressing the gas, but it didnt die on me. Reconnected the maf's wires, die on me again. Disconnected one last time, started the car no problem (still idled hard every time i pressed the gas slightly). I think it may be the MAF's, i will try it and see whats going on. Hopefully my fiance will be here soon with the torx driver.

My Cars
    Pull n Release
    Ok, so... i went outside to start the car up again, again... no luck. Did it three times. I'm like wtf, so i opened the hood and disconnected the MAF sensors wires and started up the car no problem... other than the rough idle if u tried pressing the gas, but it didnt die on me. Reconnected the maf's wires, die on me again. Disconnected one last time, started the car no problem (still idled hard every time i pressed the gas slightly). I think it may be the MAF's, i will try it and see whats going on. Hopefully my fiance will be here soon with the torx driver.
    And your not pulling any codes? thats weird but weirder things have happened.

Keep us in the loop. Good school lesson

Another FP5241 Creation

My Cars
    2002, 528i, LS430, RX330
    Quote Originally Posted by umnitza View Post
    sounds like MAF.
    Matt the M5 mechanic????

My Cars
    m52 powered
    hmm- maybe they mafs are really dirty or just faulty. did you put on new air filters or something? those performance air filters you oil are known for killing the mass air units.

My Cars
    Pull n Release
    hmm- maybe they mafs are really dirty or just faulty. did you put on new air filters or something? those performance air filters you oil are known for killing the mass air units.
    I think he said he already cleaned them. But what I find odd is the minute he plugs them in, it shuts down the engine. Maybe a resistor is shot on the sensor board inside the mafs.

Another FP5241 Creation

My Cars
    00 BMW M5, 06 IS350
    i start torxing the mafs and i notice the previous owner had put one new MAF because the torx screw was 5pt for one and the original 6pt for the other. So now i have to go back to pepboys to get a 5pt too... damn i hate driving the tiburon. I think the performance airfilters may have dirtied the maf's but not positive.

My Cars
    540i AC Schnitzer
    the cam position sensor causes this type of no start, was fine the other day issue. I dunno if the m5 has one or two cps sensors but I'd search m5board.com and see what comes up- I think the sensors are less than 100 bucks each.
    +1
    Cost is around $150 each

My Cars
    00 BMW M5, 06 IS350
    no go, replaced the MAF's, car wont even start now. i mean, its trying but it wont start like before when it would start and die immediately.

My Cars
    00 BMW M5, 06 IS350
    does anyone know where the ecm is on the m5? fuel pump fuse, etc. i removed both air filter boxes in the engine compartment but there was no ecm unit

My Cars
    BMW M5, 528i Sold, e34 535i sold, e21 320i sold
    does anyone know where the ecm is on the m5? fuel pump fuse, etc. i removed both air filter boxes in the engine compartment but there was no ecm unit
    right side, below pollen filter

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Wow. I thought for sure it was the MAF. I can start my car and if I back the MAF out it will shut down.
    Even if the CPS is bad, the car should still run. The CPS only functions at start up to let the fuel injection system know the orientation of the camshaft. My 540 was throwing the CPS code but still ran. It runs a hell of alot better since I replaced it.
    Wierd problem.
    GL troubleshooting.

My Cars
    00 BMW M5, 06 IS350
    i just added gas maybe that was the problem, nope. i am going to check the fuse tomorrow and if that doesnt work, i will take it to a mechanic.

My Cars
    1967 Camero RS
    sounds like a bad MAF. consider reading out fault memory.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast