Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Changed my Alpine Head unit's glow from green to amber

My Cars
    BMW 318is

DIY: Changed my Alpine Head unit's glow from green to amber

I put this up on another forum and thought people here might also be interested. I have an Alpine head unit and the green glow has been a bit of a bother for me. I always thought that it would be better if it were amber to match the other interior dash lights. There was a version that had multi colour as a feature – not mine of course!!

I got to thinking about it yesterday. The face detaches and it must be possible to change to green glow to amber. Right??

I prised the front open very carefully and saw that the five small globes each had a green plastic cover. I took them off and painted the little globes with some paint I had left over from a children’s art project, a 'make your own stain glass window hanger'. The paint seemed perfect. I first tried a coat of orange and then after testing gave them a coat of red over the top.

The amber glow matches the other interior dash light almost perfectly. Now I just have to work out how to change the LED display on the unit.

I am very happy. Here are some pictures. Yes, I know it is all a bit sad, but hey...

An older shot in wich you can see the green glow of the head unit. In the dark it really stood out.

Two shots with the now new amber glow. Very pretty.

My Cars
    08 328i|01 530i|96 328s
    Hey that's awesome! My hat is off to your creativity
    ~Phil
    Madeiraviolett Bf.C club member #001

1996 BMW 328is Madeiraviolett/Dove Grey: 5 Spd, Sport, Cold Weather & Premium Sound pkgs.
    3.5" ECIS/ITG intake -> Samco ASC Delete Boot -> DINAN TB -> M50 Manifold -> S52 Cams | Bav Auto Red-top ignition coils tuned w/ AA software, Dynomax Cats & Stromung exhaust UUC Pulleys & Clutch stop, FDM=Zionsville radiator, Mishimoto Tank, SAMCO hoses, Fidanza LTW flywheel & M3 clutch, UUC Evo3 SSK, 3.23 LSD, Koni/Eibach Adjustable Damper suspension, PUR RSM's & RTABs, CF Strut brace, UUC Swaybarbarians, Motorsport X-Brace, 17x8 Beyern Mesh wheels Hella CELIS projectors + 5k TRS HID's, Fog delete=Brake cooling duct, LTW wing, ///M Bumper & R. Diffuser
    CCA Member #382557

My Cars
    '92 325i, 2010 Civic Si
    Yeah, that definitely looks better. Nice job.

My Cars
    2003 BMW x5 & 92 BMW325i
    Cool. I never would have thought of that. I would have just bought a newer unit. Right on

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '46 Navion
    Nice! I've been weary of a new head unit for this exact reason!

P.S. you do know that your steering wheel is on the wrong side, right?
    www.hangar504.com

4dr Mafia Member #42

My Cars
    e36 Coupe
    My Alpine head unit has all diff colours u can choose from, just go to illumintaion or somethin

My Cars
    S54 and S62
    I have a green alpine too... I MUST do this! thanks for the tip
    Current:
    Alpine White E46 325i Touring S54 6MT
    Titanium Silver E39 540i Touring M-Sport S62 6MT

Past:
    Alpine White E46 330i ZHP Sedan S54 6MT
    Interlagos Blue E85 Z4 M Roadster 6MT
    Le Mans Blue E92 M3 6MT
    Japan Red E46 325i Touring S54 6MT
    Estoril Blue Individual E46 M3 Coupe 6MT
    Cosmos Black E36 M3 Coupe S54 6MT
    Alpine White E92 M3 6MT
    Alpine White E90 M3 6MT
    Laguna Seca Blue E46 M3 Coupe 6MT
    Jet Black E36 325is S52 5MT
    Lagoon Green E36 325is 5MT

My Cars
    BMW 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by Dejo325i View Post
    My Alpine head unit has all diff colours u can choose from, just go to illumintaion or somethin
    The unit that was in the car when I bought it is an Alpine TDA-7554. In this series only a TDA-7558E and TDA-7556E has the option to change the colour from green to amber. I missed out!!

I got a hold of the manual from the Alpine website after I bought the car. There was no was I was going to be able to work out all the functions without a manual.

I recently went into an Apline store and the new units have blue display which I was told you can't change to another colour. They got rid of this function. As bad as I thought the green was, I like blue even less!!

My Cars
    e46 325ci
    Haha, us Aussies are handy DIYers! I did the same thing!

Mine was a bluey colour, did the same thing, but changed the LED bulbs to the side of the screen and painted them with amber lens paint (I don't know why but i had some sitting in the garage)

///Weisspower

My Cars
    BMW 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by Goon View Post
    Haha, us Aussies are handy DIYers! I did the same thing!

Mine was a bluey colour, did the same thing, but changed the LED bulbs to the side of the screen and painted them with amber lens paint (I don't know why but i had some sitting in the garage)
    Ahhh. From what you described I might be able to change the green LED as well.

With my green LED display, is there likely to be a bulb behind the LED display that gives the display a green hue, or are the pixels in the LED green? If there is a bulb I might be able to get to it and also paint it. That would be just perfect!!

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325ic
    Nice job!!!

I have a Sony in dash player and the light is blue. I really hate the blue with the amber. How can I do the same thing like you guys to change it to amber. Would it work with a sony?

here is the player i have:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-...oductDetail.do

My Cars
    99 740i,535xi,z4 mcoupe
    also check when your doing it to make sure there is not a color filter. What allot of lcd screens have (like the ones on our obc in our car) is a piece of clear plastic that makes the screen that color, in this case you can go to any arts store (ex. michaels) and get amber vellum. Then you swap out the other color with the amber vellum (basically like tint paper)

My Cars
    1998 BMW 318i sold, 2002 325xi
    Damn it, I am jocking the fact you guys have right hand drive vehicles, and on top of that, matching amber CD players. I hate you all, hahah. JK.

My Cars
    1994 325i
    wow, nicely done

My Cars
    2016 328i Sport
    Great write-up! I wonder if I can do this with my Pioneer? Thanx guys-

My Cars
    96 BMW 318IS
    Good Idea I Hate That Green Glow To Never Would Have Thought Of That

My Cars
    E46 M3 Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteknight View Post
    Great write-up! I wonder if I can do this with my Pioneer? Thanx guys-

if you can, let me know, cuz i want to do it to my pioneer
    The Ultimate Tanning Machine

My Cars
    330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Xz Dark Star zX View Post
    if you can, let me know, cuz i want to do it to my pioneer
    Dark star, it really depends on a model, but on an older Pioneer model I have, I was able to change buttons from green to amber (only two choices) through the menu. Colorful display on this model remained...well, colorful. Anyway, if you have "function" button on a front plate, this is how you enter "secret" menu (it's not literally secret, but in a lack of a better word...yea...) on older Pioneers - press "function" button and hold it for at least 2sec. while the radio is OFF. it will turn on and you'll be in mentioned menu where you will be able to change some things like "alarm", warn, dimmer AND illumination of buttons. HTH...

My Cars
    95 325ic/85 Ramchrgr
    Thanks for the nice writeup. My husband bought a pioneer for my vert and I hate the blue display. Of course, I've never said anything to him except thanks... it was a very nice gift and it sounds great, but the blue display, awful.

My Cars
    97 z3 1.9M, 96 328ia
    Quote Originally Posted by daki77 View Post
    Dark star, it really depends on a model, but on an older Pioneer model I have, I was able to change buttons from green to amber (only two choices) through the menu. Colorful display on this model remained...well, colorful. Anyway, if you have "function" button on a front plate, this is how you enter "secret" menu (it's not literally secret, but in a lack of a better word...yea...) on older Pioneers - press "function" button and hold it for at least 2sec. while the radio is OFF. it will turn on and you'll be in mentioned menu where you will be able to change some things like "alarm", warn, dimmer AND illumination of buttons. HTH...
    let us know if u can successfully change the lcd screen on the alpine to amber...that would be SWEEEET!

My Cars
    BMW Vert & Touring
    Good idea, gonna pull my Alpine apart this weekend.
    Madeiraviolett Bf.C club member #003

My Cars
    bmw 323IS 1998
    I have a pioneer deh-p7700mp and is coming with blue lights. I really want to do this, but I dont know how to start.

My Cars
    2000 Audi S4
    What a coincidence, exact same alpine deck I have, and I was thinking about the same thing the other day..

My Cars
    94 318i convertible
    dat looks awesome

My Cars
    1992 325i
    Right side drive... tasty... I'm really jealous. I'm in America, where we all sit and drive on the wrong side...
    She looks nice. Kudos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast