Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to fix a busted floppy windscreen / wind deflector

My Cars
    1998 328ic
    Quote Originally Posted by red97tj View Post
    hey finally got to modding mine...works great!!!
    i bought the parts from grainger...they only sell them in packs of 5 & it's still cheaper than mcmaster carr (save on shipping).
    so if anyone wants to buy the other 3, let me know.
    cheers...
    I am interested. PM me details.
    David in Central Texas
    My 36............................................My 35...........................................My 54

My Cars
    1998 328ic
    i bought the parts from grainger...they only sell them in packs of 5 & it's still cheaper than mcmaster carr (save on shipping).
    cheers...
    Got the pins today and they are drying now. Mine should be fixed tomorrow!

Thanks red97tj for the detents and to everyone else for the info and pics!
    Last edited by lightflyer1; 06-12-2009 at 01:20 AM.
    David in Central Texas
    My 36............................................My 35...........................................My 54

My Cars
    95 DASC 318ic
    Quote Originally Posted by lightflyer1 View Post
    Got the pins today and they are drying now. Mine should be fixed tomorrow!

Thanks red97tj for the detents and to everyone else for the info and pics!
    hey i was just about to pm you to see if you them...good to know things are working out.

95 alpine white 318iC - my 1st bimmer!!! now even better w/ dasc, tokico illuminas, h&r sport springs, new wheels, new top & hid...just a few of the sunk costs in this money pit!!!
    88 civic w/ zc swap
    97 lifted tj
    and a few more project cars!!!

My Cars
    1998 328ic
    Very easy task to do! I will assemble it tonight after work and check movement. Everything looked good this morning.
    David in Central Texas

My Cars
    1998 BMW 323i Cabrio
    Hi red

What's the part number of the ones you ordered?

I'm in Ireland and McMaster won't ship here

Cheers

Garvan

cheers...

My Cars
    95 DASC 318ic
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvan View Post
    Hi red

What's the part number of the ones you ordered?

I'm in Ireland and McMaster won't ship here

Cheers

Garvan

I believe these are the ones I bought:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/TEC...LL2?Pid=search

95 alpine white 318iC - my 1st bimmer!!! now even better w/ dasc, tokico illuminas, h&r sport springs, new wheels, new top & hid...just a few of the sunk costs in this money pit!!!
    88 civic w/ zc swap
    97 lifted tj
    and a few more project cars!!!

My Cars
    1998 BMW 323i Cabrio

Smile Thanks

Well the long and the short is that I eventually managed to get the McMaster parts, although it did cost me a bit more than just the parts

Grainger would have been a hassle too.

A big thanks to all on this post as my busted wind deflector is now as good as new.......

G
    Last edited by Garvan; 08-29-2011 at 03:52 AM. Reason: busty??? a new innovation in wind deflectors...I meant busted

My Cars
    '98 328i Convertible
    So 13 years, 8 months, and 18 days later, I finally repaired my OWN floppy windscreen using this method. The Grainger link red97tj pasted in post #31 above is STILL good! I cut a centimeter plug off a random bolt that fit into the well where the original detent spring used to be, to prevent the new Spring Plungers from Grainger from sinking into the hole through the JB Weld, and used packing tape to create a 'form' around the open side to prevent the JB Weld from flowing out. I positioned the shoulder of the Spring Plunger nearly flush with the top of the original plastic, but protruding very slightly to ensure the captured ball bearing in the Spring Plunger had the maximum opportunity to create interference when being depressed. Everything went back together easily after the JB Weld cured, and the windscreen is now very firmly held in place, with excellent resistance to folding. Just in time for summer! Thanks goestoeleven!
    Last edited by Jimmie Jazz; 06-26-2021 at 10:59 PM.
    '98 328 Alpinweiss Cabriolet, 150K, CD43, CHA-S634 MP3 Changer, Chromeline Interior Trim, 'Redlined' Gears & Diff, Z3 Chromed 16" Rims, Billet Front Stress Bar, aFe CAI, 'Golf Tee' Exhaust Mod, Powerdiscs, SS Brake Lines, CDV delete, JTD Underpanel, BAV Lowering Springs, Bilstien Sports, Bimmerworld Rear Lower Control Arms and Front Camber Plates, E46 RSM's with reinforcing plates, Electric Rad Fan, Alum. T-Stat Housing, Mishimoto Hi-Capacity Aluminum Radiator, Hi-Performance Water pump, 3.23 LSD, Sharked.
    Sometime to come: New Clutch with LWFW, Clutch Stop, M50 Manifold, M3 Cams, Supercharger (I can dream).

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Jazz View Post
    So 13 years, 8 months, and 18 days later, I finally repaired my OWN floppy windscreen using this method. The Grainger link red97tj pasted in post #31 above is STILL good! I cut a centimeter plug off a random bolt that fit into the well where the original detent spring used to be, to prevent the new Spring Plungers from Grainger from sinking into the hole through the JB Weld, and used packing tape to create a 'form' around the open side to prevent the JB Weld from flowing out. I positioned the shoulder of the Spring Plunger nearly flush with the top of the original plastic, but protruding very slightly to ensure the captured ball bearing in the Spring Plunger had the maximum opportunity to create interference when being depressed. Everything went back together easily after the JB Weld cured, and the windscreen is now very firmly held in place, with excellent resistance to folding. Just in time for summer! Thanks goestoeleven!

I drilled a 1/4-inch hole and put in a short screw to hold the screen raised. There are many different kinds of roll pins that you could use, I just used a screw. No nut, only a screw.

My Cars
    explorer
    this post was a huge help! I bought a floppy flopper windscreen on craigslist a few years ago and finally got around to fixing it this way, thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12