Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flex Disc Replacement

My Cars
    N/A

Flex Disc Replacement

I am planning on replacing the guibo soon. Do I only need to purchase a new guibo, or do I need to purchase new nuts and bolts? If so, specifically what parts? http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...05&hg=26&fg=10

My Cars
    2000 M-Roadster
    I ask the same thing to the service parts guy at the dealer he told me it's better to replace 1 to 6 since it doesn't cost that much.

My Cars
    M3, MZ3, 348TS, Chevelle
    What are the symptoms of a failing guibo?

BMW M3 - Ferrari 348 - Chevrolet Chevelle

My Cars
    E36/8, K12R, E91
    First symptom: The drive line will chatter more than normal when on/off acceleration or in/out on the clutch when speeding up or slowing down.

It's easy to check when under the car for cracks or wear etc.

FWIW I reused my bolts.
    2002 Alpine White w/ Black 368 (<OO \(||][||)/ OO>)
    Power: Custom Exhaust w/ High Flow cats, CSL headers, built, low-compression Supercharged and aftercooled S-54, ViPEC standalone ECU, Vortech V2 Si trim
    Driveline: Euro 6 speed, 3.64 diff w/ 40% Lockup, Rogue Octane SSK, UUC Red TME kit, UUC Stage 3 LTW Flywheel/M5 Clutch, SS Shift Knob
    Suspension & Brakes: TC Kline True Match Coilovers 500f/500r w/ adjustable camber plates, Racing Dynamics sways, Custom front sway endlinks, ATE fluid, UUC/Willwood BBK 6 piston f - 4 piston r , Slotted E46M3 Rotors, Stainless Lines, Strong Strut, IE Subframe & adjustable rear trailing arm bushings
    ICE & Misc: Projector Z's w/DDE & 5k HID, 19'' Gold HRE C20's, Custom Aux pwr outlet, footwell lighting, ACS Splitters, Areo Sideskirts, Custom gauge pods, Z8 Start, Pioneer AVIC Z3, Clarus Components, 10" RE Sub in a Mister-X Enclosure, Alpine PDX 4X150 + 1X600 Amps
    Coming soon: and a visit to Randy Forbes

My Cars
    00 M Coupe, 08 335xi
    Visual inspection will show if it needs replaced, look for cracks or splits.

I resused the bolts but got new nuts from BMW dealer. On my M it took about 20 mins. I did not have to remove anything other than the 6 bolts.

My Cars
    2015 435i ZHP
    here is a pic of my guibo, it needed to be replaced:
    Last edited by 2000Z3M; 11-28-2008 at 02:26 PM.

My Cars
    S54 e36/8
    where is the best place to buy the flex disc/guibo? I have seen them for $75ish...

My Cars
    00 M Coupe, 08 335xi

My Cars
    M3, MZ3, 348TS, Chevelle
    Why do they fail so often on BMWs, but i never or rarely hear of it on others? Does anyone make a more robust one, or is there something swappable out there?

Most anything BMW does with rubber and something inserted into it seems destined to fail, causing headache, lighter wallets, daycare, etc... I just hope they don't go into the prophylactic industry.
    Last edited by Itsablurr; 06-08-2007 at 09:56 AM.

My Cars
    E36/8, K12R, E91
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsablurr View Post
    Most anything BMW does with rubber and something inserted into it seems destined to fail, causing headache, lighter wallets, daycare, etc... I just hope they don't go into the go into the prophylactic industry.
    Power: Custom Exhaust w/ High Flow cats, CSL headers, built, low-compression Supercharged and aftercooled S-54, ViPEC standalone ECU, Vortech V2 Si trim
    Driveline: Euro 6 speed, 3.64 diff w/ 40% Lockup, Rogue Octane SSK, UUC Red TME kit, UUC Stage 3 LTW Flywheel/M5 Clutch, SS Shift Knob
    Suspension & Brakes: TC Kline True Match Coilovers 500f/500r w/ adjustable camber plates, Racing Dynamics sways, Custom front sway endlinks, ATE fluid, UUC/Willwood BBK 6 piston f - 4 piston r , Slotted E46M3 Rotors, Stainless Lines, Strong Strut, IE Subframe & adjustable rear trailing arm bushings
    ICE & Misc: Projector Z's w/DDE & 5k HID, 19'' Gold HRE C20's, Custom Aux pwr outlet, footwell lighting, ACS Splitters, Areo Sideskirts, Custom gauge pods, Z8 Start, Pioneer AVIC Z3, Clarus Components, 10" RE Sub in a Mister-X Enclosure, Alpine PDX 4X150 + 1X600 Amps

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT
    well now that i know what a bad one looks like. . .i will be adding that to my list of mods er up keep.

My Cars
    94 540,72 3.0CS,'13 WRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsablurr View Post
    Why do they fail so often on BMWs, but i never or rarely hear of it on others? Does anyone make a more robust one, or is there something swappable out there?

Most anything BMW does with rubber and something inserted into it seems destined to fail, causing headache, lighter wallets, daycare, etc... I just hope they don't go into the prophylactic industry.
    Most other manufacturers of high-power cars tend to use single-section driveshafts, with 2 U-joints, instead of the dual-section unit we have, with one U-joint in the middle, encased on the center support bearing.

BMW kinda designed themselves into a hole with it, as the point of the guibo is to absorb drivetrain vibrations and make the car smoother. Making the guibo stronger makes it absorb less, so then it doesn't do what it is supposed to do. Making it absorb more makes it weaker.

In terms of an upgraded guibo, I'm kinda suprised nobody has tried an E39 M5 guibo.

Ah, here's why, the E39 guibo is bigger:
    E39 M5: 105mm
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...88&hg=26&fg=10
    S54 Mcoupe: 96mm
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...05&hg=26&fg=10

I suppose you could switch the transmission output flanges and the guibo-side driveshaft flange.

Alternatively, you can see what cardcounter (over in the FI section) did, since his car uses a very similar driveline. He's got a ~1000rwhp E36 328. I think he ended up going the dual U-joint route, but before that, he rand with an upgraded guibo. (back when he had ~600rwhp)

My Cars
    S54 e36/8
    is it necessary to replace the centering sleeve, hex bolts, and self locking nuts when you do this replacement (all the hardware that attaches to the flex disc)?

I always use BMW of the Main Line's parts page. They have the flex disc for $80.82...best price I can find currently.

My Cars
    E36/8, K12R, E91
    Try Circle bmw

My Cars
    S54 e36/8
    Quote Originally Posted by clintjg View Post
    Try Circle bmw
    Yeah, but then I have to pay for shipping! BMWOTML is 5 min from my house...i just give John a call and go pick it up!

My Cars
    M3, MZ3, 348TS, Chevelle
    Quote Originally Posted by xatlas0 View Post
    Most other manufacturers of high-power cars tend to use single-section driveshafts, with 2 U-joints, instead of the dual-section unit we have, with one U-joint in the middle, encased on the center support bearing.

BMW kinda designed themselves into a hole with it, as the point of the guibo is to absorb drivetrain vibrations and make the car smoother. Making the guibo stronger makes it absorb less, so then it doesn't do what it is supposed to do. Making it absorb more makes it weaker.
    That's why I'm so suprised the M division uses them.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    Important tip

When you are torquing down the bolts, be sure you turn the nut or bolt that is touching the metal flange. Hold the nut or bolt touching the guido stationary. You do not want to torque load the sleeve in the guibo or you will get a premature failure.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose

My Cars
    S54 e36/8
    Can someone let me know if I need to buy and replace the 'Centering Sleeve', nuts and bolts when replacing the guibo? I'm not sure if the nylon nuts are reusable...

My Cars
    00 M Coupe, 08 335xi
    Get new nuts..if the bolts look bad (rusted) replace them as well. I reused the centering sleeve as the car only had 30k miles. Just re-geased it.

My Cars
    S54 e36/8
    Ok! Just did the flex disc and tranny fluid. I'll go in order:
    1. Flex disc: the reason i replaced this is because its cracking. When in low rpm's in first gear while rolling at a very slow speed, if I hit the gas, my car would rock back and then move. Likewise, when in first gear at high RPMs, if I let off the gas, my car would lunge forward and then decelerate.

Verdict: It doesn't do that crap anymore...glad I replaced flex disc.

2. Tranny Fluid: I went with Redline D4-ATF or whatever that one is that everyone suggests. I opened up the two plugs and some really freaking gross blackish brown stuff came out. I say some because it was way way less than I would have expected. I'm not even sure a quart came out. I filled it back up with 1.5 quarts, maybe a little more, until the fluid came out of the fill hole. I definitely put more in than came out...I'm questioning how that fluid is supposed to be lifetime.

Verdict: Much smoother shifting. If you are one of the people thinking you can just go along with never changing this, think again. Mine definitely needed to be changed and seemed very very low.

Overall, big improvement.

Scott

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT
    kwel, i need to do the flex disk asap. . .how much did that alone run you?

My Cars
    S54 e36/8
    Quote Originally Posted by 2kredz3 View Post
    kwel, i need to do the flex disk asap. . .how much did that alone run you?
    Got it for $80 and change at BMW of the Main Line. That was $9+ off for the BMWCCA/internet pricing. You need to get the nuts as well.

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT
    aight, just found mine. . .i think it is smaller then yours.

showing products for 2000 Z3 2.3.

(Click for a larger image) Please note: Standard Transmission
    Part Number Description Price Qty. 26 11 1 227 410 Flex Disc Guibo
    $44.95

+ the bolts and nuts. . .hmm might need to order it up!

My Cars
    S54 e36/8
    just use realoem.com to make sure you have the right part...thats my only advice. I'm sure you are on top of it.

My Cars
    2010 135i M Sport 6MT

i wonder if the ///m will fit on my car?

showing products for 1999 M Coupe.

(Click for a larger image)
    Part Number Description Price Qty. 26 11 2 226 527 Flex Disc - Guibo
    $79.95

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast