Thread: Schrick cam problem...HELP!!

Schrick cam problem...HELP!!

I have a 97 M3 and just had some mild Schrick cams installed at the dealer. It seems to run fine, but when I got home the check engine light came on. I found the code to be "vanos mechanically stuck". Is this because of the Schrick cams or because I don't have the proper software yet?? It also recorded a couple of misfires. Hopefully you guys can help me because I won't be able to talk to the dealer until Monday.
    Thanks

Are you serious? Who sold you Schricks for an OBDII 3.2L M3?. I don't they are ever going to work properly without software tuning and more. Besides with that horrible intake manifold I can't imagine you'd make more power with the cams.
    How do the car feel power wise?

RHL

I bought them from BMP. My stock cams were shot when the oil pump died and destroyed the lifters. I decided to buy the Schricks because they cost as much as the OEM parts. BMP said they would work with software tuning. I can get software, but I am worried about the "vanos stuck" message. Any ideas?? I can feel a lot more torque down low.

My Cars
    '91 E34 M5, '89 325i, '00 Saab 9-5 Wagon
    Ok, first off, you can't just go buy this "software" that you need. You need a custom tuning, which means taking your car over to the dyno at Conforti's shop, up to ERT in Deleware, or maybe to Dinan. Unless you are prepared to do that, your engine will never run correctly.

Secondly, NEVER take your car to the dealer for performance mods. Come on!!! You gotta find an independent mechanic who knows BMW's, preferably one who prepares race cars. Such a mechanic would have know the problems that you have just run into and could have advised you against it in the first place.

I am going to get custom software from AA. The only reason I had the dealer do it is because they already had my car in pieces when they found the cams were bad.

My Cars
    '91 E34 M5, '89 325i, '00 Saab 9-5 Wagon
    I wouldn't be driving that car around, especially if it is missing and setting off the check engine light.

Park the car until you are ready to go to AA. Then, find a buddy with a trailer and take the car there.

My Cars
    1996 M3 lux, 1988 325

IMHO

I don't think the cams themselves have anything to do with the fault. As far as the VANOS mechanism is concerned, it is just turning whatever it attatched to it.
    You mentioned that you blew an oil pump. Well the VANOS drive mechanism is heavily dependant on oil pressure. The same lack of oil that destroyed the cams and followers probably destroyed the VANOS mechanism too. I would dare to bet that you now have bad bearings and scored cylinder walls. An oil pump failure is a MAJOR problem and will usually destroy an engine in short order.
    == Stable mates ==
    -1996 M3 Lux, bright red (hellrot), Modena interior. Aus Freude Am Fahren!

-1988 325, Alpenweiss. The commuter.
    BMW HOWTOs

My Cars
    96' 993 911 C2
    I thought schrick cams were only for the 95 M3....
    <font size="1">Jimmy

Porsche Carrera
    Bilsteins/ROW M030 | BBS RE | GT2 CF Spoiler | GT2 Splitter | OEM Aero Ib side skirts | Alpine CDA-9835 / KCA-420i | 6000K HID | RSR Exhaust / Techart Tips | 97' ECU |