Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New electric convertible top fix

My Cars
    1991 325i Convertible
    It works great.

Just make sure to order the gold washer also or else the lever will not sit correctly.
    Last edited by nadodude; 10-07-2010 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1993 E30iC M50
    Misplaced my linkage from the top frame to the top motor (the broken one)...

Crap.

My Cars
    Ford Edge
    Anyone know what the washers are for in that top plate kit?

My Cars
    1991 325i Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by aldur99 View Post
    Anyone know what the washers are for in that top plate kit?
    I explained two posts above. They are so the levers sit correctly. If the washer isn't there the two levers will catch on each other and get stuck while pivoting.

My Cars
    1993 325iC Calypso Red
    Yep. Use the washers to align the two arms correctly. I've had this fix in place for over 3 years and it's still going strong. Good luck!

Again for reference, when you need to find this seller his name is now "snuparts" and the listings are worded as "BMW E30 Cabrio Rep.-kit elektr. Verdeck Verdeckmotor".

Here's one current auction: http://cgi.ebay.nl/BMW-E30-Cabrio-Re...item415522838a
    Last edited by Cruzer; 12-23-2010 at 06:08 PM.

My Cars
    Ford Edge
    Sorry (bronze one I used), but, I received two other washers (two different sizes) which seems I don't need. Everything went back together and I couldn't figure out what to do with the two different sized stainless? washers.

My Cars
    e30 cabrio

Detailed instructions in English?

Has anyone published the instructions in English? I did a few searches but could not find a write up for this soultion, only the other one that requires Dremel use. Thanks. I have the kit (minus the gold washer??) and am ready to install

My Cars
    e30 cabrio

Help lining up top and tonneau mechanisms??!!

hey all..am putting things back together but cannot get the two levers lined up as shown in this picture
    http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=270732618854

I can get close but the lower piece (on the left side) hits the wall of the tonneau well.

Is it possible to run the UP/DOWN button to advance the motor a bit so things line up properly?

Direct replies appreciated as I would like to have her back on the road tomorrow. pkdupont@hotmail.com.

many thanks

My Cars
    92325ic 93325ic
    i will need to make this repair to my92 325ic. the top motor still turns fine and eveything is in synch. my question is do i drop the top motor as a whole and repair or does it have to be popped apart and then resynched? i would like to avoid the resynch procedure.
    thanks,
    steve

My Cars
    e30 cabrio

I did not remove the motor

Using the steel plate, did not need to remove the motor.

After removing linkages and the levers(?) I removed the two inboard screws (towards interior of car under the carpet).

Placed the plate in place, loosely threaded the new screws in the motor.

There was enough wiggle room under the plate for me to remove the old outboard screws from underneath.

Then I threaded the new outboard screws and tightened everything down.

Then replaced levers and rods, everything should line up OK. Mine was off because it had been disconnected for a while and had rear shock tower repair done, so they probably tried to open the tonneau and threw me out of whack.

All is good now. I got it all meshed up and working. Just need to adjust the rod that opens/closes the TOP itself. The tonneau catches the top as the tonneau opens and closes.

Anyone know if I need to shorten or lengthen the TOP rod to let the tonneau clear it??

Thanks

My Cars
    92325ic 93325ic
    thanks phil D-this is good to know. these are the only instructions i have so far.dont have the plate yet but will do a dry run.
    thanks
    steve

My Cars
    e30 cabrio

Good luck ..

Give a yell if you need any help

My Cars
    92325ic 93325ic
    yes phil D;i have a question concerning the round pivot piece that is still attached to the pivot arm with the washer. looking from the bottom it is obviously the part that was attached to the motor case. this piece is still in the pivot arm with the washer and it rotates. have tried to push it thru but it wont.before i force it i would like to know how to get it out. it may have formed a lip on it when it was ripped off. also on the new plate what secures the pivot arm down?
    thanks
    steve

My Cars
    e30 cabrio
    Steve, can you post a picture (or email to pkdupont@hotmail.com) ? I think I understand your question, but a picture of exactly what you are asking about would help.
    I think the ROUND piece you are referring to has 2 very small holes in the top?
    If so, that is the 'screw' that holds the pivot arm in place.
    I used needle nose pliers (and regual pliers to hold onto what was left of the motor body that sheared off) to unscrew it and remove the washer.
    Place the gold washer over the threaded piece of the steel plate, set the pivot piece in place, and screw the round piece back on with needle nose pliers.

My Cars
    92325ic 93325ic
    thanks phil D-your answer is spot on-now i will proceed to order the plate.
    steve

My Cars
    1991 BMW 325i Convertibl
    RE: Anybody have current links to "fixes"

Thanks for this info. My top is doing the same thing. And I would "semi-manual" it...and I disconnected the rod that does the top folding and it works fine...and I would like to make it work correctly though.

I tried the names and links of the fixes mentioned..but they were dead...even tried scouring ebay motors and ebay europe with no luck. And was wondering if anybody had anymore current links to the fixes.

Many Thanks,

John

PS When I bought this car I didn't even notice it had an electric top. The price was right ...it ran fine and shifted well..quick transaction. All the E30 convertibles I had seen before had manual tops so didn't even pay it attention. Now I know better.

PPS The top was working in semi manual ok...I would just lift up the cross members of the top by hand when sitting in the car...now that I disconnected the top rod...there is less resistance and much easier.

My Cars
    1993 325iC Calypso Red
    Here's a link in German. There's an English explanation for how to order at the bottom. The best way to find these is to go to ebay.de (the german ebay site) and search "e30 verdeckmotor". What's great now is that the guy takes Paypal. Back in my day () we had to send international wire transfers to this guy. Ha ha. BTW, the repair plate is still going strong.

Looks like the price is around 55 euro + 6 euro shipping. That's about $76...exactly what I paid 5 years ago.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/BMW-E30-Cabri...item3f16fec248
    Last edited by Cruzer; 05-26-2012 at 12:07 PM.

My Cars
    1994 Miata
    Reviving this dead old thread in 2017 to say that I just bought the same repair plate from Sven Nötzel / snuparts. Same seller as referenced above, still offering this part on ebay Germany.

Here is the listing: (Use the translate function in a Chrome browser to make the page easier to read)
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/282438829425
    Translation: "BMW E30 Cabrio repair kit electric convertible top / convertible top motor - Perforated convertible top motor housing / incl. BRASS SLEEVE"

$54.00 US delivered! Gotta love the weak Euro from a buyer's perspective.
    Last edited by Jgilber0; 04-20-2017 at 10:05 AM.

My Cars
    98 M3 sedan
    Thanks, this just happened to me this AM!
    99 528i Sport

My Cars
    1994 Miata
    Glad it helped!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12