Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Average cost of complete paint job

My Cars
    240sx, JCW MINI, Disco
    Mine, excluding the new body panels, is about 8 grand. But mine's a better paintjob than anyone in their right mind (and outside of showcars or insurance) would consider. Bare metal strip, weeks of prepping panels, correcting imperfections in the factory sheetmetal, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by thedaddy View Post
    thedaddy ties Obama to Ozzie Osbourne...........nails triple word score.

My Cars
    1998 M3 E36 Convert
    I was just quoted $4,800 for a complete paint job including removing all panels and fixing all dings and scratches on my cosmos schwarz 1998 e36 m3. The guy at the shop said they use the highest quality paint and clear coat. I'm going to shop around a bit and see what other shops charge.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by byte1000101 View Post
    I was just quoted $4,800 for a complete paint job including removing all panels and fixing all dings and scratches on my cosmos schwarz 1998 e36 m3. The guy at the shop said they use the highest quality paint and clear coat. I'm going to shop around a bit and see what other shops charge.
    That's about $2k less than it cost to paint my '99 Cosmos Black M Rdstr__and hdtp__ 10 or 11 years ago. And I removed all the panels, trim etc., and put all the trim back on (they remounted and aligned all body panels).

I'd be skeptical of any shop doing it for less than you've already be quoted, but sometimes a place just wants to get established, regardless of profit or loss.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M Roadster.
    I was quoted $6-7k
    Panel off respray in the same factory color, inclusive of the hard top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    I got my 1998 Cosmos Black M Roadster repainted BMW jet black for $3200 which included redoing all 4 wheels. I believe I got an excellent job at a pretty reasonable price. Very happy with it.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe,04 K1200rs
    I did all my prep and took off all lights, Maaco did a base coat/clear for $800, still looks great after 5 yrs.

Id like to see pics on that Maaco job

paint work is too all over the map to simply ask:

how much is a paint job?

I cant see a good job being under $5-6k these days.....no body work in that quote!!!. And that is cheap.

Id plan on like 8k for a really good job.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Paintwork is all in the details of the prep work, the equipment and materials used, the skill of the shooter, atmospheric conditions when shooting, and the treatment afterward. The difference between the industry standard and really good is night and day to an initiate, and invisible to a layman. There is no limit to what you can pay in either direction. The amount of labor required to do a really top notch paint job is ungodly and not within the prices mentioned here. The $800.00 Maaco paint job and the $8,000 job both look equally good to their owners (and both ding the same in the parking lot). If you have a really good paint job, the joy in it comes in the washing and waxing, where you touch every centimeter of it and then stand back and drink it in. It is a fleeting pleasure, but satisfying in the moment.

and btw.......

I have looked at thousands of restored painted cars since I was like 13 yo, and maybe 50, maybe, had flawless glass like finishes..and those all were over the top concours cars...

so many cars, most, have waves upon waves upon ripples.

yes its about prep.....sanding and sanding and cutting and cutting and buffing

Id be a nightmare customer if I was getting a car painted. Ive had about 8 trips to body shop in my life....and Ive always bitched and have brought cars back for redos.

But dont expect a 10k job for 2k.....and dont pic a lo end shop for hi end work

My Cars
    99 Coupe Hell Yeah Red
    I've been painting motorcycles for years. I've had customers ask for a "quick" spray, but that isn't happening. Show finish or no finish for my jobs (except race plastics). If I were to paint a car for somebody, and I've been asked to, it would be the same and likely cost 10k or more depending on a number of variables. The guy that bought my 911 had it repainted and was thrilled with the 8K he spent on it. However, from 10 feet away I could see fish eyes and orange peel all in the paint. I was appalled.

My Cars
    N/A
    Don't think I saw mention of glass removal. When I had my car painted,I got all the glass removed and new gaskets put in everywhere. The glass/gaskets around the sides of the trunk area proved to be quite a pain for the shop. Mind you, they were pretty incompetent so it took them quite a while to get things right with me helping point out issues along the way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12