Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone installed an aftermarket coolant temp gauge?

My Cars
    94M3 95M3 94325is

Has anyone installed an aftermarket coolant temp gauge?

I did a search earlier today and it seems that a lot of the members are opting for a coolant temperature gauge rather than a volt meter. The main obstacle seems to be installing the sender. EMW doesn't offer any assistance with this, either.

Has anyone attempted to install a coolant temp gauge in their M3?

If so, is it THAT much better than the stock gauge??

I have. I put the sender into the (aluminum... NOT plastic) thermostat housing. No problems with leakage.

The stock gauge goes full warm around 150F, and stays there up to around 250F (haven't explored this range much). That's far too wide a range for me.

Besides, what the hell good is a voltmeter? I already have one in the OBC that's way more accurate than the VDO analog gauge. (Accessed by function #09 BTW, if you're curious)
    hey lazybones: whatever you're asking, the answer is already in the archives.

My Cars
    F150, Suburban, M3
    Originally posted by fourfa
    I have. I put the sender into the (aluminum... NOT plastic) thermostat housing. No problems with leakage.

So you drilled and tapped the cast aluminum t-stat housing? Shouldn't leak being NPT, just curious about durability of the cast aluminum?

"It's not the people who vote that count, it's the people who count the votes."
    -DNC

looked fine to me, good 3-4 threads. I made a bead of black water sealant to be sure.

Also, there is an existing water temp sender that may be compatible with some of the VDO gauges. I didn't try it. It screws into the side of the block, which is a better location. One could potentially just tap into it.

My Cars
    F150, Suburban, M3
    If I read my Bentley right, the oem coolant temp sensor is a different ohm range than the standard VDO range.

Sealant on threads of a single pole sensor is a , since the housing is ground.

-DNC

not sealant on threads, sealant bead around the edge of the sensor after being screwed into the housing.

VDO offers a few different ohm range gauges. One might match, dunno. I'm just guessing since VDO supplied the gauges for the M roadster.
    Last edited by fourfa; 02-17-2003 at 03:10 AM.

My Cars
    94M3 95M3 94325is
    badmonkey,

could you post the ohm range of the OEM coolant temp sensor?

My Cars
    F150, Suburban, M3
    For Bosch DME 3.3.1 engine coolant temp sensor test points:

Test Temp k ohms
    14 +/-2F 7-11.6
    68 +/-2F 2.1-2.9
    176 +/-2F .27-.40

( ref: Bentley, pp. 130-19 )
    Last edited by badmonkey; 02-17-2003 at 12:26 AM.

-DNC

My Cars
    04 330iZHP, 05 325iT

Question for Fourfa

The stock gauge goes full warm around 150F, and stays there up to around 250F (haven't explored this range much). That's far too wide a range for me.

Besides, what the hell good is a voltmeter? I already have one in the OBC that's way more accurate than the VDO analog gauge. (Accessed by function #09 BTW, if you're curious)
    Fourfa: Could you be more specific in your sender placement? Is it on the top of the housing to the left of the housing bolt? Also, did you use a regular tap, or did you need a special tap for a pipe-threaded sender? Thanks.

My Cars
    F150, Suburban, M3
    Pipe thread tap, 1/8 NPT.

-DNC

My Cars
    04 330iZHP, 05 325iT
    Originally posted by badmonkey
    Pipe thread tap, 1/8 NPT.
    Thanks. Do you know where the optimal placement of the cender is? Fourfa indicated he put it on the "hot" side. That would be on the right side of the housing (I think). I'm uncertain if he plumbed it straight up, or facing the radiator.

it went in the right side, where hot coolant flows out to the radiator. I tapped it into the underside of the housing, just above the accessory belt, pointing straight up. It and the wire leading from it are totally invisible to inspection. haven't had any leaks I can detect in a year's use.

My Cars
    04 330iZHP, 05 325iT
    it went in the right side, where hot coolant flows out to the radiator. I tapped it into the underside of the housing, just above the accessory belt, pointing straight up. It and the wire leading from it are totally invisible to inspection. haven't had any leaks I can detect in a year's use.
    Thanks Fourfa. You indicated in an earlier post that you "bottomed out" (I think that is the term you used) when you tapped the hole. Should I take that to mean that I shouldn't run the tap all the way through the hole? Thanks.

yes, I made te mistake of running the tap too deep. Used black water sealant to make sure no water would work through the threads. Run the tap halfway through, test fit the sender, then see if you want to tap one or two threads more. Just go slowly and carefully and don't go too deep.

My Cars
    04 330iZHP, 05 325iT
    yes, I made te mistake of running the tap too deep. Used black water sealant to make sure no water would work through the threads. Run the tap halfway through, test fit the sender, then see if you want to tap one or two threads more. Just go slowly and carefully and don't go too deep.
    What is the danger of going too deep? I thought that pipe thread sealed itself by tapering out?

My Cars
    F150, Suburban, M3
    Originally posted by lkstaack
    What is the danger of going too deep? I thought that pipe thread sealed itself by tapering out?
    Pipe threads are tapered to be self sealing, but if you tap deeper than the sensor, you will lose the taper fit. Essentially tapping the hole bigger than the threaded item being screwed in. I did a trial thread tap on the OEM plastic t-stat housing to see how deep to tap the hole, and found the same thing as Fourfa when running the tap all the way through.

-DNC

My Cars
    04 330iZHP, 05 325iT
    Originally posted by badmonkey
    Pipe threads are tapered to be self sealing, but if you tap deeper than the sensor, you will lose the taper fit. Essentially tapping the hole bigger than the threaded item being screwed in. I did a trial thread tap on the OEM plastic t-stat housing to see how deep to tap the hole, and found the same thing as Fourfa when running the tap all the way through.
    Thanks guys! I'm glad that I'm able to learn from your experiences. One final question: did you use a drill press or hand drill? Thanks.

My Cars
    F150, Suburban, M3
    Hand drill, make sure to use the correct sized bit!

-DNC

yes, get the EXACT size letter or number drill. Something is telling me it was a "Q" drill, but I'm not sure. Find a drill size chart to check.

My Cars
    04 330iZHP, 05 325iT
    yes, get the EXACT size letter or number drill. Something is telling me it was a "Q" drill, but I'm not sure. Find a drill size chart to check.
    I don't know what a "Q" drill bit is. The tap that I just got recommended a 5/16" bit.

hey, how you get the VOLTAGE reading from the OBD???? pleazzzzzzzzzz post instructions!!!!!!! thanks

from unofficialbmw.com

The following is from a 1993 posting attributed to Jim Conforti for the E36 OBC-

"To determine if your OBC is eligible .. press 1000 and 10 together ..

you should see TEST NO -- or something like that --

Now, some of the functions are locked out .. I do NOT recommend messing with them and you do so at your own risk ... that said ..

To unlock all functions .. press 1000 and 10 and at the TEST prompt enter 19 using the keys .. press SET/RES .. you should see LOCK:ON or something similar ... press the DATE key (today you'd see 07.14) and add the two numbers (day and month) together (today 21)

Now enter the number you just calculated (21) and press SET/RES

TADA .. you just unlocked the secret functions ...

To lock them back up .. press 1000 and 10 then enter 19, SET/RES, now press SET/RES again, it should show .. LOCK:ON again

In general when I show a test I enter it by pressing 1000 and 10 together then enter the number of the test with the numeric key and press SET/RES to actually execute the test ...

Test numbers for E36 OBC (Note: This should also work for the 535!)

1 Display Test .. all LCDs and LEDs activate 2 Current Consumption in l/100km
    3 Current Consumption in L/hour
    4 Average Consumption (used to calc. Range) 5 Current Range
    6 Not used ..
    7 Average Fuel in Tank (l)
    8 Current Speed (km/h)
    9 System Voltage at terminal R
    10 Country/Language
    11 Units/ AM.PM
    12 Average Speed (km/h) for calc. ETA
    13 ETA
    14 Date of software/mask of OBC
    15 Production Diagnosis (??)
    16 Production Diagnosis (??)
    17 Display Vehicle Specific Data
    18 Alarm Changeover (continuous v. intermittent) 19 LOCK/UNLOCK all functions
    20 Correction Factor for OBC Fuel Consumption (SEE BELOW!) 21 Reset all defect codes, date and time ... activate by pressing SET/RES

so the voltage test is #09

My Cars
    04 330iZHP, 05 325iT
    Thanks Fourfa and Badmonkey. Tapped the housing without much problem. This is what it looks like. Mounts very close to the belt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan
    from unofficialbmw.com

Test numbers for E36 OBC

21 Reset all defect codes, date and time ... activate by pressing SET/RES
    Wait a minute, you can reset all defect codes with an OBC??? Will this clear error lights like the airbag?
    97 Estoril/Black M3/4/5

"Although we've experienced an M3 sedan with an automatic, our test car came fitted as God intended, with a 5-speed manual ..."
    Road & Track May 1997, testing the M3 Sedan

My Cars
    '04 GT3, '04 Lexus GX470, '92 Toy 4x4 ("Pablo")
    No, the reset is for the consumption correction factor AFAIK. When you change to a euro HFM on a 95 M3, the consumption will be way wacked out. you can correct, to a point, by messing with the OBC's correction factor, but not enough to make it correct. I think that reset is just to reset all programmable values to default, not a DME or code reset...but I could be wrong! Why not give it a shot!

Tim

1995 M3 (sold)
    1997 M3/4 (sold)
    2004 GT3
    2008 E90 M3 on order -- week 23 build -- DCT and 19's!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast