Thread: Strange Whistle Coming From the Car....

My Cars
    See my signature...

Strange Whistle Coming From the Car....

so I have noticed this strange whistle coming from the car, but it doesn't happen all the time. It happens occasionally, which is quite strange. It is a whistling sound, which stays at a same level, and doesn't increase with acceleration. The only thing I notice is when I depress the clutch the noise does go away. On average this might happen twice a week, it doesn't occur everyday.

has anyone else experienced the same thing? the car is running great, just noticed this strange noise over the weekend, and it happened again yesterday.

Any ideas?
    2010 Audi A4
    2002 Toyota 4Runner
    1995 Porsche 993

My Cars
    2003 E39
    release bearing is probably going bad. It usually whistles and when you depress the clutch pedal you release the bearing from spinning so it stops.

My Cars
    See my signature...
    Quote Originally Posted by nastyE39 View Post
    release bearing is probably going bad. It usually whistles and when you depress the clutch pedal you release the bearing from spinning so it stops.
    is this a common issue? would it be something that doesn't occur all the time? How hard or costly is this to replace?

andy
    2010 Audi A4
    2002 Toyota 4Runner
    1995 Porsche 993

My Cars
    E34 530i, E39 540i 6spd
    I can hear the same thing except mine is coming from under the hood. I can hear mine when rpm's are over 1,700 and the car is warm and it is warm out side. I had a buddy of mine listen and he said it sounds like it is coming from the front driver side of the motor. Hmmmm???

My Cars
    '99 540i/6sp Sports Package
    before i bought my e39, i read this book called BMW Buyer's Guide by Fred Larimer, bought it from Amazon. There it's cited to look for whistle sound coming from the engine near firewall and it then goes on to say it is caused by leaky vacuum line behind the engine block.

i saw the vl fitting when i did my vc. it's right there on the back of the engine towards the driver's side.
    _____

My Cars
    See my signature...
    Quote Originally Posted by PGH540BIMMER View Post
    before i bought my e39, i read this book called BMW Buyer's Guide by Fred Larimer, bought it from Amazon. There it's cited to look for whistle sound coming from the engine near firewall and it then goes on to say it is caused by leaky vacuum line behind the engine block.

i saw the vl fitting when i did my vc. it's right there on the back of the engine towards the driver's side.
    any possible way you can take a picture of this and post it so that we can see exactly what you are referring too? it would be greatly appreciated.
    2010 Audi A4
    2002 Toyota 4Runner
    1995 Porsche 993

My Cars
    '99 540i/6sp Sports Package
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsoap View Post
    any possible way you can take a picture of this and post it so that we can see exactly what you are referring too? it would be greatly appreciated.
    here is the picture:

j/k i'm just having fun on my day off....

i did take some pictures when i did vc but there isn't one with it. sorry.

but it's an easy check to verify the problem (see picture).
    _____

My Cars
    2003 E39
    A vacuum leak wont go away when you depress the clutch pedal, so therefore thats something totally different. To change the release bearing requires removing the tranny and its located on the counter shaft on the tranny. As far as cost to change that I am not sure, also if you go in to change that I recommend you change the entire clutch kit and the rear main seal, reason being all thats right in that area so you might as well get it all done one time. I really wont pay that whistle to much attention unless its bad.

My Cars
    E34 530i, E39 540i 6spd
    I can hear mine if the car is moving or not or in gear or not clutch in or out. It is completly rpm dependent. Any ideas??

My Cars
    535xiT, 325iT, '07 L322
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoBoff5ers View Post
    I can hear mine if the car is moving or not or in gear or not clutch in or out. It is completly rpm dependent. Any ideas??
    similar topic from bimmerfest

My Cars
    E34 530i, E39 540i 6spd
    Quote Originally Posted by cpatstone View Post
    Ahhh ha! Thanks! I have a bad feeling that it may be the Crank vent vlave.

My Cars
    '06 X5 4.8is
    don't know if this helps, but all dinan throttle body/MAF owners have the same complaint. the whistle is from air moving over the throttle body butterfly due to increased flow. do you have an aftermarket CAI that might increase airflow?

My Cars
    See my signature...
    No aftermarket MAF or CAI......

where is the crankcase valve located? I really need to purchase a bentley manual...is this install/repair difficult?
    2010 Audi A4
    2002 Toyota 4Runner
    1995 Porsche 993

My Cars
    97 528i 87 528e 65/74MG
    I get a wistle/chirp from my dash board area that comes and goes based on position of steering wheel among other things. I think its the fan in the HVAC panel.
    >'97 528i, 200000 miles, Hella Xenons, 17" Stilauto wheels, Vogtland Drop Springs, Dynomax Race Muffler, Homelink, 540 brake upgrade, 15mm spacers >'65 & '74 MG Midgets BFC OT Lego Club #48 Manual conversion in process!!!

My Cars
    e39sport,e36ic/5,e30eta
    Quote Originally Posted by NNY528I View Post
    I get a wistle/chirp from my dash board area that comes and goes based on position of steering wheel among other things. I think its the fan in the HVAC panel.
    I get that same whistle. I located mine by shutting off my HVAC. it seems that in some cars, the blower motor whistles if its in a low setting.

My Cars
    E34 530i, E39 540i 6spd
    Update:
    I had my whitsle noise checked out. Turns out it was the p/s pump.
    I had no other indications that the pumps was taking a dump on me.

My Cars
    See my signature...
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoBoff5ers View Post
    Update:
    I had my whitsle noise checked out. Turns out it was the p/s pump.
    I had no other indications that the pumps was taking a dump on me.
    was this diagnosed by the dealership? what year was your 540? also, what did it cost you?
    2010 Audi A4
    2002 Toyota 4Runner
    1995 Porsche 993