Thread: Could a blown strut cause wheel shimmy?

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan

Could a blown strut cause wheel shimmy?

I'm diagnosing some wheel shimmy. I know that I've got a blown front left strut. My control arms and tie rods are almost brand new, so I don't think they're the problem. I've also had the wheels balanced.

The shimmy comes on at any speed above about 45 and gets progressively worse the faster you go, and it's also especially bad when I move the steering wheel back and forth in a tight slalom motion (about ten degrees from center in either direction)(I'm not sure what the hell that could mean, but it's something I noticed so I figured I'd throw it out there)

So could this possibly be caused by the strut, or if anyone has any other ideas I'd appreciate it.

My Cars
    a white one
    Well if you know the strut is already @$#%, and you wonder if its the problem, maybe you should just replace it and see if the vibration goes away......
    Last edited by MauiM3Mania; 11-09-2010 at 12:46 AM. Reason: profanity

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan
    Yeah, I know what you're saying. But I'm tight on cash and I would prefer to fix the shimmy before the strut. So I would hate to replace the struts and have the shimmy still be there. Obviously I plan on replacing the struts soon but the shimmy is just bothering the hell out of me. Plus I hate shotgunning parts at a problem, but maybe it's the only way.

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan
    bump

My Cars
    No thank you
    I think most everyone at one time or another has the shimmy on their e36 m3. Many people claim it's the tie rods or control arms. Did you have the problem before you replaced the tie rods and control arms?
    BMWCCA #364799
    Peake SRS airbag reset/diagnostic tool $95 shipped
    Searching for my 848 Unicorn
    "Have a mind that's open to everything, get attached to nothing" - Busey-ism

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Both of my struts were shot and the car drove fine, just when I braked hard the front end dropped precipitously.
    No shimmy.
    With one blown, I can't say.
    Are you staggered? You might want to move the back wheels to the front, if not, to see if problem persists.

My Cars
    98 M3 Coupe
    Get your wheels balanced again. People like to pretend that it's a perfect science and once they're balanced they're balanced but that's a crock. On top of that a lot of places are lazy about it. Find a place that will balance them while you wait. Take the car out to check the balance and take it right back if you still have the shimmy.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by celtsnsox View Post
    Get your wheels balanced again. People like to pretend that it's a perfect science and once they're balanced they're balanced but that's a crock. On top of that a lot of places are lazy about it. Find a place that will balance them while you wait. Take the car out to check the balance and take it right back if you still have the shimmy.
    Absolutely true.
    I had to have mine done a second time.