Thread: Power Steering Delete=Stronger Muscles?

My Cars
    240SX, RRC,M3

Power Steering Delete=Stronger Muscles?

Well... I'm all for PS delete mostly because I'm a weight FREAK. And I want to make the steering a little less boosted. And... I want to get stronger muscles from having to wrestle with the steering. I know, it makes me sound like a freak, but I don't have the willpower to work out any other way. Plus, these would be muscles that I will always use. Don't judge me as a freak or a fatty or something because I'm not but I'd like more muscles and also I'd like more steering feel. I'm not averse to ape-like parking maneuvers. Thanks for any input. (Oh, and please don't get started on exercise techniques or anything, thanks.)
    1992 Nissan 240SX Track Rat
    1998 M3/4/5 74k mile daily driver
    1990 325i Manual Sedan Project

My Cars
    Nissan Titan, M5
    i drove an 87 mazda truck for 2 yrs without power steering, than 2 rx7's back to back without power steering so about 3 1/2 years of non-power steering, fuck i got ripped.
    BFC Nikonian #1

My Cars
    On a car that had the option of manual steering it's usually as simple as changing out the appropriate parts.

If you disable the PS and don't install the manual parts(are they even an option on your car?) you will be left with extremely hard steering, more than it ever would be if you had the manual option to start with.

I wouldn't do it for a street car. There are better(easier?) ways to build muscles.

My Cars
    No Car
    its VERY VERY VERY VERY hard to steer without PS, the only time you don't need power steering is if you are constantly at high speeds (aka the track). hope that helps

My Cars
    1998 M3 Coupe - RIP
    I'd only do something like that on a track-only car.

I still like the luxury side of my car

My Cars
    8 Wheels, 12 Cylinders
    After my PS started leaking almost as fast as I could put it in I removed the belt and called it a day. On an E30 w/ 14" tires no P/S is not that big of a deal. My wife drives the car w/ no complaints. The engine does rev quite a bit smoother.

Pulling out of tight parking spaces can be a chore. If your P/S is working (ie not leaking) which most E30's aren't I wouldn't do a P/S delete. If it aint broke don't fix it.

I eventually plan on selling the car, want a more comfy commuter car (528i would be perfect) so I'll be replacing the rack soon enough.
    '87 325is - 220k
    '93 325i - 161k
    '05 G35 Sedan 6MT

RIP - '98 M3/4 66k - RIP

My Cars
    240SX, RRC,M3
    My car is gonna be a track/street car. I'm making quite a few concessions for those tenths at the track, and I figure p/s is one concession I could easily make.

My Cars
    01 330ci
    As far as less boost and better road feel I agree.Building muscles, give me a break.
    vern

My Cars
    240SX, RRC,M3
    Well... I need more reasons to justify taking it out to myself. That one seemed like a natural. Another reason is that the resale value of the car is crap because I happened to overturn it in a ditch. It's a salvage title, I think...

My Cars
    Pokeball
    Originally posted by iamane30m20nut
    My car is gonna be a track/street car. I'm making quite a few concessions for those tenths at the track, and I figure p/s is one concession I could easily make.
    both schnitzer's and ptg's e36/e46 retain the stock p/s.

anyway, i gotta agree with keeping the p/s in tact. i've driven barebones non-p/s euro cars before and it is incredibly tough to just back out of a parking space..... very annoying,, not to mention dangerous in that it makes it harder to do lower speed emergency manuevers.

My Cars
    E36 M3, E46 328i
    If you want a work out, you can rotate your tires once a day.
    - Roman

My Cars
    BMW
    Steve doesn't actually want to WORK..he just wants to think he is

~Matt Segal