Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: a great 3.2odb1 walk through

My Cars
    03 530i/5, e30 s52(Sold)
    Correct, those are them. A chip can be found at tons of places such as tuner motorsport, TRM, Chuck & Staley, AA, etc even though tuner or TRM would be my preference, preferably TRM but both offer custom chips specifically for whatever mods you have which is great since you know everything is running in harmony. Also you wouldnt have to change out the stock mass air flow but doing so would be in your best interest for more power. A 3.5' 540i/740i or euro one would help put out more power over the stock 3' one.

Check this out to see what a lot of people are making on a dyno stock and with different mods

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=478545

My Cars
    08 328i,325ivert,01 530i

no response?

Cool. This walk through states that the dme and wiring harnes for it needs to come from the s52 setup but other sources say otherwise. Any suggestions or justifications for the different opinions?

Thats what I have heard over here too. In the process of finding 24lb injectors, 3.5' mass air flow meter and a chip/flash (not sure which I can do with mine yet or which is better). Still not sure about the dme and wiring either. I think thats about the last of the questions as well, so yay. Almost there. Engine is ready to be put in except this dme issue and injectors.
    Thanks thus far for your very helpful input
    Last edited by germaniac; 08-12-2010 at 09:50 PM. Reason: none

My Cars
    03 530i/5, e30 s52(Sold)
    Quote Originally Posted by germaniac View Post
    Cool. This walk through states that the dme and wiring harnes for it needs to come from the s52 setup but other sources say otherwise. Any suggestions or justifications for the different opinions?

Thats what I have heard over here too. In the process of finding 24lb injectors, 3.5' mass air flow meter and a chip/flash (not sure which I can do with mine yet or which is better). Still not sure about the dme and wiring either. I think thats about the last of the questions as well, so yay. Almost there. Engine is ready to be put in except this dme issue and injectors.
    Thanks thus far for your very helpful input
    The obd-2 wiring harness wont work with a the obd-1 set up your engine is in and that is 100% fact. They are two totally different harnesses with different plugs and what not. For example the fuel rail is connected to obd-1 wiring harness, unlike on the obd-2 one. Also is your car going to be manual or automatic? If its a auto, i guarantee yall be hurting the performance of the car a lot. The auto m3s have been proven to be slugs compared to the manual counterparts.

My Cars
    92 332i, 99 SC M3
    Quote Originally Posted by SneauxM3 View Post
    Does anyone know of best place to order one of the Euro spec motors through?

I know buying a US 3.2 is a waste of money since it's the same motor just added displacement. I was interested in the Euro is they're easy to come across whether rebuilt or a rebuild donor.
    The US 3.2 is not a waste of money... I have an N/A OBD 1 S52 and it is ridiculously fast...no one has faith in the US 3.2...

1999 M3 AA C30 S/C w/ FMIC_____________________________________
    1992 OBD1 S52 High Comp________________________________________1991 RHD JZA70 1JZGTE BPU Supra FTW!_________________________

My Cars
    e30 NürSpecII
    very helpful, thanks!

My Cars
    None
    Do you have to change out the injectors? or can you keep the ones out of the s50?

My Cars
    03 530i/5, e30 s52(Sold)
    Quote Originally Posted by DiegoMesa View Post
    Do you have to change out the injectors? or can you keep the ones out of the s50?
    Yes you have to change the injectors. m/s52's come with pink top 21.5 injectors while m/s50's come with i believe 18/19 pound injectors.

Depending if your planning on modding, you can even pick up a pair of ford 24 pound injectors for pretty cheap and slap them in.

My Cars
    None
    Do you NEED a new chip?

My Cars
    e28, e30, e36
    great writeup. Very detailed.

My Cars
    1998 e36
    I have the ability to reprogram the OBD2 ecu so that it works same as OBD1, no need to spend money on OBD1 engine management.

My Cars
    95' BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by dpgrand View Post
    If you have a 95 m3, it will be easiest to convert the motor to OBDI yes.

why you say that I have 95 M3

My Cars
    95' BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious View Post

its a great 3.2odb1 walk through. and since that is probably the most common engine swap it might help to be more available.

Link is broken

My Cars
    S54/E36,18 Sierra Denali
    Link is def broken...anyone save this in a pdf or anything? Im trying to see if I want to use this S52 or sell it and need a little more info on this process.

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 2007 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by PITT M3 RR View Post
    Link is def broken...anyone save this in a pdf or anything? Im trying to see if I want to use this S52 or sell it and need a little more info on this process.
    +1

been gathering as much info as I can about converting the S52 to OBD-I and looking for as many resources as possible. I think I have most of the parts necessary as they are coming from my S50 anyway but I want to make sure the motor is ready for a straight forward swap into my e36

My Cars
    93 M318is Sedan (lol)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpgrand View Post
    Why is buying a US 3.2 a waste of money?
    Seriously! Euro s50's make more power sure but are much more difficult to come by and I would imagine more costly to maintain as the parts are going to be more unique to the motor. But that's just me, I've never owned a Euro s50 so idk for sure.

My Cars
    BMW's
    FYI Anyone looking for Coolant Adapter Pipe we now make a really simple bolt on solution!

Achilles Motorsports OBD2 to OBD1 Conversion Coolant Hose Adapter for BMW E36 E30 M50 M52 S52 Engines
    All o-rings, bolts and washers included!
    11-AM-CHCAP-OBD1-2.jpg
    11-AM-CHCAP-OBD1-3.jpg

11-AM-CHCAP-OBD1-4.jpg
    Last edited by Frank@AchillesMotorsports; 04-10-2014 at 08:26 PM.

Connect with us on: Facebook | Google+ | Instagram | Pintrest | Twitter | YouTube

My Cars
    95 740ia 96 740il
    Im in need of help. I was hoping to swap my 95 non ews obd1 dme into my 96 ews2 obd2 what kinda project am i getting into with this?

- - - Updated - - -

Their both e38 but the 95 has the 4.0 (m-60?)

- - - Updated - - -

So far I've done the ews bypass to the 96 and got it to turn over but no fuel pump, and im assuming no ignition. Pretty sure its still related to the ews. Can the 95 obd1 dme even be used in the 96 obd2 dme, or will it require a total obd1 conversion of sorts?

My Cars
    1998 chevy k1500
    Is the cost of swapping a s52 more than like 6500

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12