Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a great 3.2odb1 walk through

My Cars
    Audi RS4. BMW S1000RR.

a great 3.2odb1 walk through

http://homepage.mac.com/aceves/OBDI/OBD_ONE1.htm

its a great 3.2odb1 walk through. and since that is probably the most common engine swap it might help to be more available.

My Cars
    88 E30 M3 S65
    Now why would you have a post like this...much less a sticky....in a forum whose goal is for "non BMW motor swaps into BMW chassis"?
    It's not speed that kills, it's the speed difference that does. Obviously you aren't going fast enough.

Turning Benjamins into noise since 1997

I read a list of the 100 things you MUST do before you die. Funny, "Yelling 'HELP'" didn't make the list!

My Cars
    2010 BMW 135i Coupé
    Quote Originally Posted by gobuffs View Post
    Now why would you have a post like this...much less a sticky....in a forum whose goal is for "non BMW motor swaps into BMW chassis"?
    If you read the thread clarifying the aim of this forum, BMW mix and match parts (that means OBD1 conversions) are allowed here. Me taking a complete s50 and shoving it into an e30 is not.
    -Dustin

My Cars
    88 E30 M3 S65
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBoyZ3 View Post
    If you read the thread clarifying the aim of this forum, BMW mix and match parts (that means OBD1 conversions) are allowed here. Me taking a complete s50 and shoving it into an e30 is not.
    That makes less than no sense.
    It's not speed that kills, it's the speed difference that does. Obviously you aren't going fast enough.

I read a list of the 100 things you MUST do before you die. Funny, "Yelling 'HELP'" didn't make the list!

My Cars
    Audi RS4. BMW S1000RR.
    do you really care?

the link will help people doing probably the most common bmw engine swap. whats the problem?

My Cars
    88 E30 M3 S65
    I am not attacking you, just pointing out the inconsistencies that the powers that be are exercising around here. makes sense to me to have a BMW to BMW motor swap forum, but for whatever reason that is something that is impossible.

My Cars
    e30, e46, Super Duty
    Makes sense to me to have a BMW to BMW motor swap forum, but for whatever reason that is something that is impossible.
    I'm with you, as are others who may be less vocal than us. I've stated my opinion to Kevlar and to our mod (even tho he's just a messenger), but they still want to keep these types of swaps/conversions in the chassis specific forums.

I've explained many times that there are hints/tips/shortcuts and just plain neat ideas that can be learned from others who are shoving a motor into a place it was never intended to go. Work-arounds for things like braking systems and steering shafts that are in the way are not chassis specific, I've learned some stuff from reading of people doing swaps into Miata's and RX-7's as well as BMW swaps. This is at least the 100th time I've posted something like this so I'm going to stop typing......I just felt the need to make you aware that you aren't alone.
    1991 e30 318is Slicktop - Gone
    1996 LS1 Z3 - Gone
    99 e46 323i - Gone
    2003 e46 xiT - Hers
    2014 F-250 CC- Mostly stock

My Cars
    1994 325is
    This is good thanks for posting it.

Question for anyone who knows: In that walk-through it says the power steering system from the S50 and S52 are not interchangable, so does that mean you need to purchase a different power steering when you do the OBD1 conversion, or am I misreading this?

I plan on doing the OBD1 conversion to an M52, and my car has an M50 currently. Would I be able to still use my stock power steering?

My Cars
    AA turbo 332i
    great walkthrough! some of the links don't work, like the one about keeping the obdII valve cover.

also there is no mention of the computer. will the same one work (from M50) with simply a custom chip??

looking forward to doing this, especially with these instructions.

1995 325i | OBD1 S52 | S50 cams | AA Turbo TD06 20g / 42lb / Porsche maf | .140 MLS | F1 s3 clutch | Ultimate SSK | AKG 75D subframe/diff bushings | 3.23 LSD | Powerflex LCAB/RTAB | e46 fca | Raceland coils | BMP rear arms | DEPO HID | AEM Failsafe | Aeromotive FPR | Walbo 255 | 3" Magnaflow muffler/cat/res | 17x8.5/9.5" 225/45 & 255/40

My Cars
    17 M2 99 M3
    I have a european 98 3.2 and a 1995 M3, do I have to convert the motor to odb1?

My Cars
    2005 330xi
    If you have a 95 m3, it will be easiest to convert the motor to OBDI yes.
    in the works....

My Cars
    95 M3 - 03 325i - 68 Bug
    Does anyone know of best place to order one of the Euro spec motors through?

I know buying a US 3.2 is a waste of money since it's the same motor just added displacement. I was interested in the Euro is they're easy to come across whether rebuilt or a rebuild donor.

My Cars
    2005 330xi
    Why is buying a US 3.2 a waste of money?
    in the works....

My Cars
    m3, 318is, chevelle, m3
    link in post #1 is dead... anyone have a live link?

My Cars
    car
    Quote Originally Posted by skippy918 View Post
    link in post #1 is dead... anyone have a live link?

That link is shot. Thank god for Internet Archive!

Try this one....
    http://web.archive.org/web/200802070...I/OBD_ONE1.htm

Pics are gone but the text is still there...

My Cars
    m3, 318is, chevelle, m3
    hey thanks for the link... would be cool if anyone has the pics... or another site that has this... guess i'm late to the party

My Cars
    2008 535XI N54
    yea i would appriciate this aswell

My Cars
    1994 325iS
    it does not say any such goal anywhere, it's only engine conversions/swaps.

My Cars
    car
    Quote Originally Posted by shunn View Post
    it does not say any such goal anywhere, it's only engine conversions/swaps.
    Dude, your a little late to the party...

My Cars
    '86 325 '94 Ranger
    Sooo... why did I read through this thread? And why is it stickied? MODERATOR!

My Cars
    1996 BMW E36 M3/2/5
    Wow Drama

My Cars
    98 Mustang GT
    Quote Originally Posted by almostM View Post
    Sooo... why did I read through this thread? And why is it stickied? MODERATOR!
    Stickied because, as has been said before, BMW engine conversions are by far the most common swaps done for a BMW.

This forum isn't just for people cramming American V8s into a BMW chassis.

My Cars
    08 328i,325ivert,01 530i
    So is it better to use pinktop injectors?
    Also, I'm doing the entire drivetrain. Do I then need to swap any of the computers (engine or tranny which is a ZF)?
    One last thing for now, what do I do about going from one o2 sensor on my exhaust to having 4 o2's on the new m3 exhaust?

My Cars
    03 530i/5, e30 s52(Sold)
    Quote Originally Posted by germaniac View Post
    So is it better to use pinktop injectors?
    Also, I'm doing the entire drivetrain. Do I then need to swap any of the computers (engine or tranny which is a ZF)?
    One last thing for now, what do I do about going from one o2 sensor on my exhaust to having 4 o2's on the new m3 exhaust?
    Pink top injectors are the stock s52 21.5 pound injectors which are bigger then your stock 17 pound injectors so you tell me what you think is better(common sense). Also your stock ecu(red label) is probably the easiest ecu to use since the silver label m3 ecu has ews which yall need a chip to bypass just to make the car run. Also simply just plug up the holes with old 02 sensors and cut the wires or find whatever else you can that will safely and securely do the job.

FYI this should be a very simple swap into your e36 since its coming from another e36.

Also i remember you talking about modding it from one of your previous post, so a step up from the 21.5 injectors would 24 pound injectors. These can be found easily and for cheap(check ebay) since ford 24LB injectors bolt right up to these motors with no modications.

Goodluck.
    Last edited by BigC986; 08-11-2010 at 02:58 AM.

My Cars
    08 328i,325ivert,01 530i
    Where would I get a chip to run 24lb injectors? Also, I took a look at them on ebay and assume you are talking about the blue topped ones for the high output mustang right?
    Also, Would I then have to change the mass air sensor?
    Thanks for the tip and hope to get this figured out soon,
    Taylor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast