Thread: e46 328ci se auto - rear suspension clunking

My Cars
    '99 328ci se / '92 318i

e46 328ci se auto - rear suspension clunking

hi folks, first post so go easy (and its late here in the uk!)

ive got a strange clunking sound coming from the passenger side rear when i pull away and stop/start at low speeds.

having read up as much as i can before i ask questions i found lots of info about replacing the rear shock mounts as they can be faulty. however not many of the articles were posted by e46 owners.

can i confirm this is still an issue with e46's and if not, does anyone have any other idea what the noise could be?

many thanks
    kratz

My Cars
    '92 TRM E36 / '05 325ci
    It's probably the shock mount.

My Cars
    1999 E39 540i Sport

Cool

I think your problem maybe your rear differential bushing. Depending upon the mileage your rear differential bushing could be cracked and need replacing. These usually start giving your problems after 100K. If you're hearing the noise when driving at low speed, over bumps and most pronounced when backing I would say get your rear differential bushing checked out. Just my two and a half cents worth. Happy Motoring...
    V/R Zachary Pullins Sr.
    Florida Suncoast Chapter BMWCCA
    2016 Cadillac SRX & 1999 E39 540i/Sport
    " Vision without resources is just hallucination"

My Cars
    2001 325Ci
    Our 328Ci has a clunking noise too. Do you get a clunk noise only when driving at low speeds or does it clunk over bumps too? It seems the noise comes from the same side (driver side rear on North American model). We changed the differential bushing (not the top other two though) and also the entire differential. We still have the clunk. PLEASE keep me informed if you fix the noise.