Thread: scraping grinding sound at full left lock

My Cars
    99 blown cobra

scraping grinding sound at full left lock

95, stock suspension
    when making slow turns with the wheel turned all the way the left(ie turning into the garage), there is a grinding scraping sound from the right wheel well. what could this be? doesn't happen all the time

My Cars
    1995 M3

I have the exact same problem...

For me, it's the right front fender liner. The bolts that attach it to the underpanel are ripped out so it rubs the tire at full left lock. Sounds like someone dragging a plastic trash can across a driveway. It may be intermittent because the liner can move back and forth, sometimes rubbing, sometimes not.

Just get under there to see if any of yours are missing. I'm just going to put in some short sheet metal screws to hold the liner to the underpanel.

If you need part numbers for a new fender liner, just do a search.

Hope this helps,

Rich
    95 M3

My Cars
    97 M3/4, 96 VW Jetta GLX
    I had the same thing and it was just that the fastener that holds the liner in place in there had come loose. It was easy to fix in a few minutes and we didn't even have to take the wheel off. Just turn the wheel all the way, get out, and look under there. On mine you could see where the tire had rubbed it. Hopefully that's all it is.
    97 M3/4, 5 spd. Shark injected, ECI intake, UUC TSE, UUC RK3. O.E. clears all around

My Cars
    99 blown cobra
    yeah dude, exactly right. i will take a look at that. car has been in two accidents(parents both times) so thats probably it.
    99 cobra vert
    621rwhp/464rwtq
    PUMP GAS, 15 PSI NON-INTERCOOLED

Re: scraping grinding sound at full left lock

Originally posted by quadcammer
    95, stock suspension
    when making slow turns with the wheel turned all the way the left(ie turning into the garage), there is a grinding scraping sound from the right wheel well. what could this be? doesn't happen all the time
    Is tire rubbing on a sagging wheel well liner?
    03M3
    AA Stage I S/C, Dinan Stage II Suspension