Thread: Long crank in morning before it starts-Not fuel pump

My Cars
    2011 335I COUPE

Long crank in morning before it starts-Not fuel pump

I posted this on one of the other forums, but thought it would be helpful to post it here as well

After reading numerous posts on the forums I started to think my fuel pump was on the way out. My 335i coupe is a 8/06 build date. Is a step, and has 4300 miles. The last few weeks, the first start in the morning the car cranked about 5-6 times before starting. This is a classic symptom of the fuel pump problem. I was also getting some bucking before the car warmed up as well. I took the car to the BMW center , and also brought the service bullitens for the fuel pump and bucking problem. My CA called and said their were no codes stored and the fuel pump checked out OK. They installed Progman 25.02.00(This is the version I asked for) and told him not to install 25.00.02 if that is what they had. After 2 failed attempts they finally got the software installed. I have the car back for 3 days now. Guess What? The car starts on the first crank every time now. I guess they were right when they said it could be the software, since my version was from 8/06. I also notice the car seems much faster, with better acceleration. In addition my car would always have a noticable shift from 1st to second (I have a steptronic) which is gone now. The car is very smooth. So far so good

My Cars
    BMW '07 335i, Ford '03 F-150
    Quote Originally Posted by DTRJ View Post
    I posted this on one of the other forums, but thought it would be helpful to post it here as well

After reading numerous posts on the forums I started to think my fuel pump was on the way out. My 335i coupe is a 8/06 build date. Is a step, and has 4300 miles. The last few weeks, the first start in the morning the car cranked about 5-6 times before starting. This is a classic symptom of the fuel pump problem. I was also getting some bucking before the car warmed up as well. I took the car to the BMW center , and also brought the service bullitens for the fuel pump and bucking problem. My CA called and said their were no codes stored and the fuel pump checked out OK. They installed Progman 25.02.00(This is the version I asked for) and told him not to install 25.00.02 if that is what they had. After 2 failed attempts they finally got the software installed. I have the car back for 3 days now. Guess What? The car starts on the first crank every time now. I guess they were right when they said it could be the software, since my version was from 8/06. I also notice the car seems much faster, with better acceleration. In addition my car would always have a noticable shift from 1st to second (I have a steptronic) which is gone now. The car is very smooth. So far so good
    Good Deal! Hopefully your FP will stay healthy!

-Todd A.