Thread: Put the Baur on a Dyno last night

My Cars
    81 323i Baur, 98 M3/4, 8

Put the Baur on a Dyno last night

Well I went on the Dyno last night, it did ok I guess. I still need to adjust the valves, pester Bruce about finding the headers and a few other little things...

put any way here's a graph. I need to find a free pdf to jpg converter that doesn't stamp it's name all over the photo....

and a video clip
    Last edited by AlaskaBimmer; 05-26-2007 at 12:21 AM.

The Frozen Baur (AKA The Frozen Ground) now on Netflix (John Cussack is driving the Omega behind the Baur)

My Cars
    Fail
    Rwhp?

My Cars
    81 323i Baur, 98 M3/4, 8
    Yes RwHP, 4th gear pulls.

The Frozen Baur (AKA The Frozen Ground) now on Netflix (John Cussack is driving the Omega behind the Baur)

My Cars
    86 325e Baur, 03 330xi
    nice baur! we dont have many of them on the boards.

My Cars
    '96 Ranger, '83 RX7 GSL
    wow, that is a nice power curve.
    Jake

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    That is a great power curve, I did me in third as I recall.

COOL.

Always FUN TO DRIVE - Build Thread & Tech info - 79 320/6 track car build thread -- Videos of track car -Adam in car Auto-x video - Start-up video - 4/2011 Adam's TOP BMW time San Diego BMWCCA - 4-5-15 Dyno break-in run new M20B25 - Exhaust Thread - Link

My Cars
    81 323i Baur, 98 M3/4, 8
    It's hard to see in the chart but all the power comes at 4300 rpm or so, much beyond that it falls off pretty fast. my redline(rev limiter kicks in) is at 6300 rpm and the first run we went to redline and it sounded like the car was unhappy way up there. after that we just pulled to 5k since all the power comes before then.

So for auto-x I'd be better served to shift to second at 5k instead of going to the top of first like I have been.

i'll post up some split up graphs and the SAE converted numbers later on once I get a converter program that doesn't stamp it's self across the photo.

anyone know how much power is lost between the crank and the wheels on an e-21? I've hear everything from 10 - 20%

My Cars
    81 320i
    nice! yeah, i bet headers would help extract more power above 5k rpms

My Cars
    E21 320i, e39 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by breaker2944 View Post
    bump
    good job, your post count is one louder now. It's up to 11.

'81 320i turbo | t25, 931 CIS, 240hp, 13.92@100mph | 2.2L m10 Turbo Build | My E21 Videos |

My Cars
    Fail
    So it's a B27 with 885 head? On Motronic?

My Cars
    1980 323i
    Why were they doing 4th gear pulls? When I'm seeing cars on the dyno (several times a week) the only time they'll do a 4th gear pull is if the gear box is a quick ratio, or if the car has monster power... strange....

But nice graph, no doubt. Did you get wideband A/F with it?
    MAC Autosport for all of your tuning/dyno needs.
    Rausch Motors, LLC for all of your purchasing and selling.
    NASA Rocky Mountain Region for all of your racing.
    Paulaner Bier for anything beer related.

My Cars
    81 323i Baur, 98 M3/4, 8
    lol bumped by an e-36 guy....I thought I was supposed to bump my own posts. Well to bump my own post with something usefull

Well here are the runs without a stamp across them from the convertion software...

actual runs:

SAE corrected runs (I'm told this makes them comparable to a dyno done under different conditions.)

Last edited by AlaskaBimmer; 05-25-2007 at 11:47 PM.

My Cars
    81 323i Baur, 98 M3/4, 8
    Quote Originally Posted by erzengel13 View Post
    Why were they doing 4th gear pulls? When I'm seeing cars on the dyno (several times a week) the only time they'll do a 4th gear pull is if the gear box is a quick ratio, or if the car has monster power... strange....

But nice graph, no doubt. Did you get wideband A/F with it?

Well I'm no expert having never done a dyno before, but he said they usually do the pulls in the 1:1 gear which if I'm not mistaking is 4th gear. What difference would it have made to do it in 3rd gear?

Since this was a reduced price dyno day there was no af ratios....he wants you to come back and pay lots of money to get tuned to get that info. With only one Dyno in the state that reads HP I have to take what I can get.

I'm not sure exactly what the motor is, all I know for sure is the head is a 2.7 ETA head since it's stamped on it. The guy who built it did it in 1990 and doesn't remember what all he did and the paper work is in a file box in a shed somewhere....So I'm assuming it's a 2.7 and it's running on K-jet

My Cars
    1980 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaBimmer View Post
    Well I'm no expert having never done a dyno before, but he said they usually do the pulls in the 1:1 gear which if I'm not mistaking is 4th gear. What difference would it have made to do it in 3rd gear?
    you're supposed to run 4th gear as it is 1:1, but with lower powered cars, it takes too long for the motor to "max out" and it will suffer from heat soak, therefore changing the graph a bit. So in reality, you're putting a bit more down than the graphs imply.

Since this was a reduced price dyno day there was no af ratios....he wants you to come back and pay lots of money to get tuned to get that info. With only one Dyno in the state that reads HP I have to take what I can get.
    How much is it and what do you get? Baselines at MAC go for 59.95 for 3 pulls with wideband A/F, tuning is 79.95 for 30 minutes and they have "Dyno-Day's" where the price drops to $50 per person for 3 pulls and wideband. Not to brag or anything, but it just puts it into perspective for you.

My Cars
    81 323i Baur, 98 M3/4, 8
    Quote Originally Posted by erzengel13 View Post
    you're supposed to run 4th gear as it is 1:1, but with lower powered cars, it takes too long for the motor to "max out" and it will suffer from heat soak, therefore changing the graph a bit. So in reality, you're putting a bit more down than the graphs imply.

How much is it and what do you get? Baselines at MAC go for 59.95 for 3 pulls with wideband A/F, tuning is 79.95 for 30 minutes and they have "Dyno-Day's" where the price drops to $50 per person for 3 pulls and wideband. Not to brag or anything, but it just puts it into perspective for you.
    lol Alaska sucks...it was $100.00 for 3 pulls and no af reading and tuning is about $100.00/hr with a 2 hour min for dyno tuning...

I'd protest and go to the other dyno, but it's a 3000 mile drive to the next dyno.

at least it's nice and cool here, we actually found that the motor did better the warmer it got.... he did have a fan blowing on the motor and I had my manual engine fan on too, and we waited about 20 mins between each pull, there were only 3 cars there for the dyno night and I was the last guy up, he wasn't in a rush to get it off the rack.

edit: I just realized what you meant by the heat soaking...not in between runs but while running, if I do this again someday I'll do it in third.

My Cars
    1980 323i
    Ouch. That's a chunk of change, no doubt. But they've got the market, so as long as it's reasonable, I guess it's not too bad afterall. To be honest, I was expecting around 120+, as that's what some shops around here charge. Flatirons Subaru (yes, they have a Suby performance FACILITY at the dealership.... worth both my testies) requires 8 hrs minimum for tuning at around 400 an hour. But there's more dyno's out here, mainly 2wd, than you can shake a stick at.

yeah, I was unsure at first what the purpose for 3rd gear was, so I called my buddy up and asked, so I got it straight from the source. They run a dyno-jet too, 228-248 AWD inground. It's pretty slick, check the pics out in the link in my signature, really cool setup.

My Cars
    81 323i Baur, 98 M3/4, 8
    Cool, Richard said they can get the awd attachment for their dyno, but the subie, audi, vw guys are tire kickers, they whine about not having a 4 wheel dyno, but they never brought in their 2 wheel cars before, he said he would have to have a lot of $100.00 dyno's to pay the 40k for the awd attachment...

his Dyno is on a trailer, he can pull that thing anywhere, he used to do dynos at car shows and stuff but got tired of all the bs people gave him when their glued together ricers broke or some other thing went wrong. He hasn't done dyno days for 3 years just because he didn't want to mess with the whiney people....

I have no idea if these numbers are good for a 323i, i know stock was 140 at the crank, but I don't know what the other guys are putting down...

uberpanzer is offline 4 banger's RULE!!! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    3cars-36v. Math FTW!
    Well, most stock M20B25 (e30 325i motors) will put out 168hp at the crank, about 130ish at the wheels, depending n the conditions, BONE STOCK.

It looks to me like you MAY be running what amounts to a SuperEta motor on K-Jet. 2.7L with a lot of the 'i' goodies, including the higher rev limit. Not sure how you are going to tell though without ripping into the motor and looking at the pistons and such...

Either way, great numbers for an e21, whatever motor is under the hood. But i you are not making good power above 5k rpm, there is a problem of SOME sort....
    Metal Bumpers Are For BEEETCHES!!!!! "King of Lean" - Retired

"If that bikini isn't made of Micro-Fiber and has Quick Detailer on it then GTFO!" -BabyM

My Cars
    '82 528i m20
    Nice numbers, man.
    I would venture you are running at least a 2.7. Here are the specs and outputs on my old 323i, copied from an old tricord thread just for comparison:

-1988 supereta engine (8.5:1 comp)
    -1991 stock 325i valvetrain and 1.3 motronic
    -Custom chip
    -Stock 323i exhaust and manifolds
    -Inexpensive cone air filter
    This is mild 2.7 conversion, with the exception of the chip and air filter these are all off-the-shelf BMW parts.

The results at the rear wheels:
    -142 hp at 5200 rpm
    -171 lb-ft torque at 3600 rpm

Factoring the common 16% drivetrain loss shows approximately
    -163 hp
    -198 lb-ft

Not astronomical numbers, but they make for a highly competent daily driver!! These will just give you guys building strokers out there a baseline, as high comp pistons, aggresive cams, high dollar head work, megasquirt, etc. will obviously go up from here. This run was done on a Mustang dyno, which I have heard tend to err on the conservative side.
    --Dennis
    Last edited by myersport; 05-27-2007 at 06:31 PM.

My Cars
    1979 323i BMW. 2003 GTI 20 V Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by myersport View Post
    Nice numbers, man.
    I would venture you are running at least a 2.7. Here are the specs and outputs on my old 323i, copied from an old tricord thread just for comparison:

-1988 supereta engine (8.5:1 comp)
    -1991 stock 325i valvetrain and 1.3 motronic
    -Custom chip
    -Stock 323i exhaust and manifolds
    -Inexpensive cone air filter
    This is mild 2.7 conversion, with the exception of the chip and air filter these are all off-the-shelf BMW parts.

The results at the rear wheels:
    -142 hp at 5200 rpm
    -171 lb-ft torque at 3600 rpm

FONT=Tahoma]Factoring the common 16% drivetrain loss shows approximately[/FONT]
    -163 hp
    -198 lb-ft

Not astronomical numbers, but they make for a highly competent daily driver!! These will just give you guys building strokers out there a baseline, as high comp pistons, aggresive cams, high dollar head work, megasquirt, etc. will obviously go up from here. This run was done on a Mustang dyno, which I have heard tend to err on the conservative side.
    --Dennis
    It may be a super eta. Look at the casting numbers on the head.
    What do they say? They should say either 885 or 731.

On the head the valve cover will have either a roundel or say BMW on it.
    If it has not been changed, the eta = the roundel, the BMW = 885 head.

The block also has a casting on it...but it may be difficult to read. This will tell you what you have,
    as its stamped on it...

If it was a supereta...I would be suprised if k-jet was the correct injection/fuel setup..as they came with motronic.

Dont know why you are not making power over 5k as that where the powerband is for the m20...
    you should get your setup checked out by a good shop.
    Last edited by jjgbmw323; 05-27-2007 at 09:04 PM.
    "..Horsepower is a measure of work done over time, or the rate at which work is done."

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/579694/1

My Cars
    81 323i Baur, 98 M3/4, 8
    THe valve cover is just the roundel one. In the garage I can't see the right side of the motor since it's against the wall. I saw on it in the past stamped on the head 2.7 ETA

stock super ETAs make all their power in the 4ks, I wonder if this was left this way by Bruce (the guy who built the motor 17 years ago) on purpose to maximize the torque for auto-x. Unless Bruce finds the paperwork on it, I'm guessing as to what's been done inside.

Well I have an auto-x tomorrow and this will be the first run on the new suspention, at least now I know not to ring out first past 5k since it does no good anyway...

My Cars
    '82 528i m20
    An 885 head would heve either 2.5 or 2.5 2.7 embossed on the right side toward the front.
    you probably have the 200 head and eta block with the 323i valve train. With my supereta setup, I was even running out of power at 5200,which is probaly due to stock cams and head. Porting/polishing for the extra airflow would probably have helped alot.
    --Dennis

My Cars
    81 323i Baur, 98 M3/4, 8
    I'll have to try and see if I can see the numbers on the head and block, I really want to know what I'm running instead of guessing....