Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: Bluetooth Handsfree device that works with HU?

My Cars
    BMW #6 (see sig)

Bluetooth Handsfree device that works with HU?

I was trying to find this in a Navigation system, but the closest thing I could find was the Nuvi 660, which has handfree, and yes, it has an FM transmitter to play media and your phone conversation through radio, but the FM transmitter is... not up to par.

So, is there a device out there that will allow me to keep my bluetooth headset in my pocket, that has an interface that allows me to answer, dial, etc, that plugs in (aux in or whatever) to my head unit so calls come through my sound system instead of through a tiny speaker?

-Evan
    1992 525i 5speed: Sold :: 1996 328i 5speed: Sold :: 1997 540i 6speed: Sold :: 1995 M3ti 5speed: Sold :: 1997 328i 5speed: Sold :: 1997 528i 5speed: Sold

"Success is a series of great decisions backed by action."

"Cowards never start, the weak quit along the way and only the strong survive"

"Success is when opportunity and preparedness meet."

My Cars
    97 328iC 02 Lexus ES300 08 Nissan Rogue SL
    There are bluetooth interfaces that do what you ask for head units made by all the major brands. You first need to buy a new headunit ($120-$300) and then add the bluetooth option usually for about $200. There are a few head units that come with bluetooth built in- Sony, Blaupunkt and Kenwood as I recall. The least you can spend to get this capability is the Sony MEX-BT2500 which is $159 at Crutchfield.

My Cars
    98 m3/4/5, 2000 323i
    kay.. so i have done a TON of research on this and feel reasonably confident in telling you that there is no device that you can plug into a head unit to make it pipe out your phone call. That said, you can buy a Parrot unit for around $100-$150 that will directly tap into your speaker wires to produce the bluetooth over the speakers. It does caller ID, phonebook etc. Look it up.

Now.. in addition to that, you can buy little odds and ends that are stand alone and go on your visor to handle bluetooth phone calls. They dont go over your speakers though. they typically have their own speakers. I dont know of any that has an fm xmitter, although that would be pretty cool.

Now, on to BT head units, which i am pretty much an expert on now (from having done copious shopping). There are offerings from Boss, VR3(roadmaster), blaupunkt, jvc, sony, pioneer, clarion, kenwood, and maybe one or two others.

the vr3 and boss solutions really dont sound like they are reliable.. and forgive my snobbish tone, but I dont think that they are worthy of a bmw. sony is the biggest player and heavily markets the bt2500 and its big brother.. the bt5000. the 2500 has a very small display and will not drive an ipod option or sat radio option. but it is super cheap (~150 at latest count) The bt5000 has a far more generous display, but is super goofy looking. I dont remember the jvc offering's title, but it looks fairly good to me. $329 on crutchfield at last count, and will drive ipod or sat radio. cnet has a review of it. The clarion offering does not even have a cd player. I think that they tried to be oh so trendy, and in doing so.. just got plain weird. Take a look on CFs website. Blaupunkt makes a unit called.. uh.. i think its the hamburg mp57 or something like that. It might do okay... i dont remember the downside, but i decided against it. Kenwood has no real solution. Just an add on kit, which is not reliable from what I hear. I saved the best for last: pioneer. check out the 7800bt and the 9800bt. The 9800 has awesome reviews and is the audiophiles choice. 5v preamp outs. The 7800 has good reviews too, but has lower preamp outs and a smaller screen. its worth seeing both in person to see the diff. I was thinking 7800 till i saw it next to the 9800. also check out the 790bt and 980bt. those are the premier versions. only about $19 more, but better warranty and other advantages.

okay... so best way to sift through all these HUs is the crutchfield website. just select the builtin BT option on the left after you are in the CD head unit area.. The BT ready indicates that you need a kit... which not only adds $100-200 depending on the manufacturer, but also doesnt work as well as integrated. oh, also, check out cnet. they have a ton of reviews on the head units.

well thats about it. i hope that at least some of that helps...

that is all.
    dan