Thread: Loud intermittent screeching sound coming from right-rear wheel

My Cars
    Black 1997 M3 Sedan

Loud intermittent screeching sound coming from right-rear wheel

I have a 97 M3 sedan with about 120k miles on it. A month ago it produced a loud screeching/scraping sound from the right rear wheel area. It is audible whether going slow or fast...it doesn't matter but the pitch of the sound is definitely dependent on the speed I'm traveling. A few miles later it went away. Every once in a while it will come back, only to go away again after a few miles. It has happened about 3 times in the last month. It sounds like metal to metal contact and just seems to go away when the car really warms up. The car handles fine, and there are no other noticeable issues with it. This sound is just a little scary when it is on, and it actually gets peoples attention. Kinda embarrassing. Anyways is this a sign of an impending bearing failure? Or is it something else?

My Cars
    1997 M3
    Wheel bearing! Not impending.... already there

As long as you don't have a stuck caliper or anything, that's about the only other thing I could imagine.

1997 M3 (SOLD) :o 2000 528i Sport (SOLD)

My Cars
    HKS-2 M3 and 540iT
    I've got a similar thing going on - only happens when making left turns. When the right rear is loaded I hear a screeeeeeeeech.
    I think it might relate to the parking brake, as the light stays on even when its disengaged.
    WTF?
    Garrett

My Cars
    Black 1997 M3 Sedan
    That also brings up another point. My ABS light always comes on. When it does come on, it stays on until i turn off the car. Then it will come on again at random times. I've done some reading on this and my ASC light does not turn on. Only ABS. I wonder if the noise is somehow related to the ABS light. The funny thing is that the screeching sound is very intermittent. It has only sounded off 3 times in the last month and i drive this car every day to work. It goes away, then it comes back. If it was a bearing failure, wouldn't it be producing this sound continuously?

My Cars
    HKS-2 M3 and 540iT
    Mine was my rotor dust shield making contact w/ the rotor . . . phew.
    Garrett

My Cars
    Too many.
    [QUOTE=EricP;9617446]Wheel bearing! Not impending.... already there

QUOTE]

+2 The sound will get worse.