Thread: Special tool for front shock top nut???

My Cars
    Ford Exploder

Unhappy Special tool for front shock top nut???

Does anyone know of a special tool, modified socket, to use to take off the top nut on the front shock assembly? I got halfway finished (rears) installing my new Koni coilovers last night and when I got to the fronts I realized that I needed some special socket to remove the top nut and hat. (The big center one with the allen wrench socket in the shaft.) Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    John

No more M3, Had to buy a family hauler to get cash for the new house. A momentary set back, but the M5 is coming soon.

My Cars
    '99 323ti, '20 X5
    The ideal tool is an air wrench (impact wrench). You don't need to hold the shaft at all. However, since I don't have one, I used the appropriate socket, but rather than using the socket handle, I held it with a pair of vise grips. This left the square hole in the center open for me to use the Allen wrench. Worked like a champ.
    -Bungy.

1999 323ti
    2005 530i 6-speed
    2020 X5
    2013 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    96 M3

thats how I did it too

Yes use vice grips to hold it while you turn it. Works great and you don't have to buy the special socket.

My Cars
    Ford Exploder
    Thanks guys... I have to go buy the socket with the right head(wrench type) on it. Mine are completely round. Hell, I might even get off work early to finish the job.

Thanks again,
    John

No more M3, Had to buy a family hauler to get cash for the new house. A momentary set back, but the M5 is coming soon.

My Cars
    '99 323ti, '20 X5
    Actually I used a regular socket (totally round). The vise grips managed to hold on well enough that they didn't slip when I tightened down the nut. Of course, buying the socket that has the hex at the bottom would make your life easier. You can just use a box wrench.
    -Bungy.

1999 323ti
    2005 530i 6-speed
    2020 X5
    2013 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1996 M3 lux, 1988 325
    I made a special tool just for that purpose. I welded a socket to the handle of a cheapo rachet. I removed the rachet mechanism. I can insert another 1/4" drive through the hole to hold the strut shaft.

I will gladly make one of these for anyone who wants to expand their tool collection. You have to pay for the parts and shipping though.
    == Stable mates ==
    -1996 M3 Lux, bright red (hellrot), Modena interior. Aus Freude Am Fahren!

-1988 325, Alpenweiss. The commuter.
    BMW HOWTOs