Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to: Replace your Z3 roadster soft top.

My Cars
    2001 540, 1996 Z3
    I am replacing my Z3 soft top and have read you detailed instuctions. i ordered a top and have everything I need...I thin k. In the instructions I received with the top they say you can remove the seal frame if you are very careful but I have doubts after reading your instructions. The problem is when looking at the BMW dealer parts database there are two parts sealing frame(which looks like the tack strip) # 51 71 8 398 104 at $122 and the Folding compartment gasket ## 51 71 8 397 931 which fits behind the sealing frame on the parts diagram for $78.00. Would you know which one I need to order. Both are custom orders and can't be returned. I don't want to get the tack strip because I don't think I will have to replace it. Also can I replace the top by just taking off the tack strip?

Thanks for any help.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 2.8l
    Quote Originally Posted by mfwaldner View Post
    I am replacing my Z3 soft top and have read you detailed instuctions. i ordered a top and have everything I need...I thin k. In the instructions I received with the top they say you can remove the seal frame if you are very careful but I have doubts after reading your instructions. The problem is when looking at the BMW dealer parts database there are two parts sealing frame(which looks like the tack strip) # 51 71 8 398 104 at $122 and the Folding compartment gasket ## 51 71 8 397 931 which fits behind the sealing frame on the parts diagram for $78.00. Would you know which one I need to order. Both are custom orders and can't be returned. I don't want to get the tack strip because I don't think I will have to replace it. Also can I replace the top by just taking off the tack strip?

Thanks for any help.
    I ended up purchasing the new sealing bow from turner performance. Getting the butyl tape off is a real pain. I ended up ordering the new frame as mine had cracked on removal, but it also would have taken me hours and hours to get the butyl tape off of it. In my opinion you should order the sealing bow as it along with the new butyl tape is what will keep the water out. Also be sure to use stainless staples when you attach the top to the rear frame.

My Cars
    2001 540, 1996 Z3
    So to be clear on this I should order both parts the tack strip and the sealing frame?

My Cars
    02 e367, 08 Acura TL-S
    Yes. That's what we did when replacing Brian's top.

-Todd

My Cars
    2001 540, 1996 Z3
    Thanks, I have ordered the parts. Can anyone tell me where the staples are used? Seems to me they would just hit the metal of the window well and pop out.

My Cars
    02 e367, 08 Acura TL-S
    Quote Originally Posted by mfwaldner View Post
    Thanks, I have ordered the parts. Can anyone tell me where the staples are used? Seems to me they would just hit the metal of the window well and pop out.
    Where are staples called for? (sorry, it's been years since I've done this job, and I think I tried to block it from my head - maybe I need to read Vinci's writeup again).

-Todd

My Cars
    1997 z3 roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by lokijibber View Post
    Where are staples called for? (sorry, it's been years since I've done this job, and I think I tried to block it from my head - maybe I need to read Vinci's writeup again).
    The staples go into the tack strip. The tack strip is aluminum with a thick plastic insert, the staples go into the plastic.
    It's a Hybrid--Burns Gas and Rubber

My Cars
    02 e367, 08 Acura TL-S
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRedZ View Post
    The staples go into the tack strip. The tack strip is aluminum with a thick plastic insert, the staples go into the plastic.
    Thanks! That certainly makes sense.

-Todd

My Cars
    1994 e34 525i
    Hello, I know this is an old post but I have a question that I am hoping someone here, might know the answer to.
    It seems the proper (maybe only) way to do this is the "difficult way."
    My question is if it is possible to completely swap out a Z3 convertible top all in one complete unit from one Z3 to another?
    I know someone may decide to chime in just to say that this is a stupid question, so let me explain my logic first. I don't want to spend 20 hours or more removing the soft top (cloth/window) part from the doner car. It would be great if there is a way to just unbolt everything at the hinge of the convertible top frame. Then do the same to my car and simply bolt in the doner Z3 top complete, with a lot less fuss. These tops are now 20 years old as my Z3 is a 1996 so things are brittle and tend to break easily.
    My apologies in advance if anyone else has already asked this question. I tried searching the forums and Google and there is no talk of this method at all.
    Also it is starting to get cold here and I have to so this project outside. Any help, advice, etc...is very much appriciated in advance! ;-)

PS. The reason I even found a top from a 1997 Z3 in decent shape is because it is a two year old aftermarket soft top on a car that was taken off the road and parted out. I have no way of finding out who made the top otherwise I would get instructions from them. It might be too difficult to remove and put onto my car but the window and fabric are in great shape. Has anyone experienced removing and putting an aftermarket top back on with success?
    It is not that I don't want to spend $400 for a used OEM top that I also found locally if it was the best option. I doubt even a BMW genuine top that is used will last more than a few years.
    Next best and it seems only viable option is to try one of the $300 aftermarket tops online that come with decent instructions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M Roadster.

How to: Replace your Z3 roadster soft top.

Quote Originally Posted by extremebimmer View Post
    Hello, I know this is an old post but I have a question that I am hoping someone here, might know the answer to.
    It seems the proper (maybe only) way to do this is the "difficult way."
    My question is if it is possible to completely swap out a Z3 convertible top all in one complete unit from one Z3 to another?
    I know someone may decide to chime in just to say that this is a stupid question, so let me explain my logic first. I don't want to spend 20 hours or more removing the soft top (cloth/window) part from the doner car. It would be great if there is a way to just unbolt everything at the hinge of the convertible top frame. Then do the same to my car and simply bolt in the doner Z3 top complete, with a lot less fuss. These tops are now 20 years old as my Z3 is a 1996 so things are brittle and tend to break easily.
    My apologies in advance if anyone else has already asked this question. I tried searching the forums and Google and there is no talk of this method at all.
    Also it is starting to get cold here and I have to so this project outside. Any help, advice, etc...is very much appriciated in advance! ;-)

PS. The reason I even found a top from a 1997 Z3 in decent shape is because it is a two year old aftermarket soft top on a car that was taken off the road and parted out. I have no way of finding out who made the top otherwise I would get instructions from them. It might be too difficult to remove and put onto my car but the window and fabric are in great shape. Has anyone experienced removing and putting an aftermarket top back on with success?
    It is not that I don't want to spend $400 for a used OEM top that I also found locally if it was the best option. I doubt even a BMW genuine top that is used will last more than a few years.
    Next best and it seems only viable option is to try one of the $300 aftermarket tops online that come with decent instructions.

I’m doing exactly this.
    Picked up a whole frame with a new aftermarket top fitted for $130.
    Off of a Z3 in a pick&pull.

My winter break project come Dec

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1994 e34 525i
    Yeah, I did confirm that this is definetly doable. I should have assumed that the entire convertible top can be easily removed as a complete unit.

If you are getting a new replacement top though, then you can keep it all intact. Is your frame and other hardware damaged? Otherwise if you are going to do all the work to recover with new fabric, why not just reuse your old frame etc?

My window fell completely out of mine so I have had it covered and stored away for the last several months. I found a top that someone put an aftermarket replacement fabric/window onto about 2 years ago that is in great shape. I have been told that the whole complete unit bolts in easy in about 5-10 minutes.

Anyone have any special pointers with this process? Should I replace anything while I have the top out that is cheap and easy while having the vert unit out of the car? Seals, gaskets etc...

I plan to at least clean things up.

Thanks!

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    It is easier to swap the entire top assembly than to change just the cloth part. I've done it, and what I recommend is either doing it in the summer, or in a heated garage--things need to be nice and pliable, or else you're going to break some plastic. You want the donor top to come with a good sealing frame, or to get yours off in one piece and swap it. It's still a big job, and it still requires cleaning off the old butyl tape from the car and the sealing frame. I resealed mine with butyl tape and butyl caulk. However, I don't think I would bother with it if the donor top is of an unknown aftermarket origin, that would be wasted effort.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by extremebimmer View Post
    ... is possible to completely swap out a Z3 convertible top all in one complete unit from one Z3 to another?... just unbolt everything at the hinge of the convertible top frame. Then do the same to my car and simply bolt in the doner Z3 top complete...
    Yes.
    Here is a post on removing the entire top assembly, frame with canvas, from a donor car to transfer to your car:
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...4#post29128464
    Here is a DIY on installing just new canvas, that includes dealing with the sealing frame etc:
    https://webspace.ringling.edu/~dplassma/str/str.html
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    1994 e34 525i
    Cool, that is perfect! Thanks!! ;-)

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3
    I am really late to the party on removing and installing a new convertible top for a Z3. I have heard how great Vinci's write up is but I cannot seem to access the website that is linked at the start of the thread. Is the write located anywhere else? Thank you!

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    I have a pdf copy I can send. PM me with your email and I’ll send it to you.
    Last edited by rasmuw; 11-03-2021 at 08:58 PM.

My Cars
    1996 BMW Z3
    Not sure if you're going to see this anytime soon, but I'm attempting to replace my Z3 soft top and if you could email me a copy of the PDF I'd appreciate it.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    ValeriyL--You'll need to PM me with an email address so that I can send the pdf.
    Wayne

1998 M Roadster
    1994 Honda ST1100--sold
    2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES

My Cars
    1998 BMW M roadster
    New to the forum...
    Looks like I am not the only one replacing the roof on my Z3.
    Could you please email me the PDF also.
    Thanks

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    kurt141--You'll need to PM me with an email address so that I can send the pdf. I am unable to PM you, I think because you are new to the forum.
    Wayne

1998 M Roadster
    1994 Honda ST1100--sold
    2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES

My Cars
    1997 Z3
    Rasmuw,

I am new to this forum and would like a copy of the PDF for soft top installation if you are still willing to share it.

I just purchased a 1997 Z3 and will need to replace the top because it is leaking at the window area.

Unfortunately, the forum has not granted me privileges to send you a PM directly at this time. I can always create a junk email account and post it as a reply in this thread in order for you to send it to me.

Thanks, I greatly appreciate it

Cheers

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    If you post a junk email address, I will send the pdf to you. Otherwise, you’ll have to wait until you are granted PM privileges. Whether they are dependent upon time, number of posts, or both, I do not know.

My Cars
    1997 Z3
    Rasmuw,

I have searched around and I couldn't find what a new member has to do in order to gain PM access.

I still haven't been granted PM privileges yet, but once I do, I will contact you.

Last edited by SevoF; 01-26-2022 at 09:29 PM.

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    I believe you have to have made 10 posts before you get PM access.

My Cars
    1997 Z3
    Thanks MartyBtoo. I will send a PM when I am granted access after the 10 posts
    Last edited by SevoF; 01-26-2022 at 09:28 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast