Thread: What does an E46 M3 need at 60k miles (besides Inspection II)?

My Cars
    2001 BMW M3

What does an E46 M3 need at 60k miles (besides Inspection II)?

Hey guys, I'm looking into purchasing a 6MT 2001 M3 with almost 60k on the clock. It just recently had Inspection II performed. Are there any wear-and-tear parts that will need to be replaced in the near future? (RTAB's, guibo, etc) Any and all advice would be helpful...thanks!

My Cars
    M3
    they are supposed to check for things that need replacement during the inspection.

My Cars
    imolarot 2001 M3 Convertible, 2006 Jetta 2.5
    Well, they are supposed to change spark plugs, engine oil, trans fluid, diff fluid, adjust valves, flush brakes and coolant and change air filter. So if they did what they were supposed to do, you should be in good shape. They should have also checked the clutch for wear.
    They inspect RTABs, too, so you might want to ask them if they showed signs of wear.

My Cars
    2017 F31 M Sport
    Just make sure Inspection II was done by someone that knows the difference between Inspection II on an M3 and on a 330. Many independent shops are unaware of (and unqualified to perform) the extra needs of an M3.
    Freude am Fahren
    2017 F31 Sport Wagon
    '11 VW Golf TDI (which retained its value *REALLY* well!)

My Cars
    E30 M3, E36 M3, E90 M3,
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeM3SMG View Post
    Just make sure Inspection II was done by someone that knows the difference between Inspection II on an M3 and on a 330. Many independent shops are unaware of (and unqualified to perform) the extra needs of an M3.

Did you go to BMW of El Paso!!!!!

My Cars
    2017 F31 M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by mpower001 View Post
    Did you go to BMW of El Paso!!!!!
    I was quoted ~$450 for Insp II. I asked, "Does that include the valve adjustment?" and the reply was "BMW's don't need valve adjustments. It's hydraulic."

Um, oooookaaaay. Next!
    Freude am Fahren
    2017 F31 Sport Wagon
    '11 VW Golf TDI (which retained its value *REALLY* well!)

My Cars
    2001 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by SamXp View Post
    Well, they are supposed to change spark plugs, engine oil, trans fluid, diff fluid, adjust valves, flush brakes and coolant and change air filter. So if they did what they were supposed to do, you should be in good shape. They should have also checked the clutch for wear.
    They inspect RTABs, too, so you might want to ask them if they showed signs of wear.
    Sounds pretty good. It looks like I should probably pay a visit to the dealership where the current owner has it serviced to get more info on the car.

My Cars
    2001 BMW M3
    While I'm at it, are there any common faults with the E46 M3? Any reliability upgrades that I should be making? I'm coming from an E36, so things like shock and transmission mounts, window regulators, and radiators come to mind... Are there similar types of weak spots on the E46?

nickdrivesm3 is offline <---Retired from that BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs
    E46 M3s tear through RTABs, on a frequent basis too. They go through rear tires, but thats because most owners like to go fast. I've worked on a fair amount of mid milage e46 M3s and they are pretty solid. RTABs are usually a must but most owners dont want to pay for them. Take the car to the dealer for a pre-purchese inspection and see what they say. If anything breaks or goes wrong shortly after, take it back to them and ask why it wasn't recommended or looked at during the inspection. Other than that, just buy the car, enjoy it, drive it, and see what happens.

- Nick: Pacific Region Vice-President for BMW CCA
    San Diego BMW CCA Past President
    Join the BMW Car Club of America!!!

My Cars
    '08 E90 M3
    Call BMW NA with the VIN number and they can give you a verbal report of the services performed, and where they were performed.
    Craig Brickner
    Click to Join: BMWCCA # 366493
    BMW CCA/PBOC/Chin Motorsports DE Instructor

2008 M3 Sedan Jerez/Black