Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Rear Ball Joints Replaced. Wow! What a difference!

My Cars
    '00 M5 '07 750i '87 325
    Quote Originally Posted by ceegeezM3 View Post
    Also, it looks like Victory is out of business. Anyone have a picture of the tool, or better yet... anyone want to sell or rent me theirs?
    I see that too.
    Does anyone know if the RTAB tool will work for these ball joint/bushings?
    Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.

My Cars
    99 M3
    I changed out my rear ball joints, wheel bearings, rtabs, subframe bushings, diff bushing, and I don't even remember what else just last year. The car was completely different and felt great.

My Cars
    '00 M5 '07 750i '87 325
    Quote Originally Posted by hinzm3 View Post
    I changed out my rear ball joints, rtabs, subframe bushings, diff bushing, and I don't even remember what else just last year.
    What did you use to remove/install them?

My Cars
    E36 M3, X5 4.6is, E85 Z4
    The RTAB tool will not work on the ball joints. It CAN be done without the Victory tool, as I found out when I couldn't beg, borrow, or steal one. Pelican sells a "tool" to press them out, but it's basically just a short length of steel tube the same size as the metal sleeve of the ball joint, with a flat plate welded over one end. You still have to get creative, though. It was recommended to use a hammer to pound them in and them out, but there isn't really enough room to get a good swing. Plus, if you miss, you could end up with some incidental damage.

My solution: Advance Auto Parts has a tool loaner program. I "borrowed" a ball joint press tool set that consists of a very large c-clamp and an assortment of fittings. None of the included fittings would work, so I spent some time in Lowe's and found various pieces of metal pipe and plates and was able to rig up the press. It was a righteous PITA to get the first one figured out and it probably took 2 hours to R & I that one. But I had it figured out by the time I got to #4 and had it swapped in 10 minutes.

1998 ///M3/4/5 | 1999 528iT | 2003 Z4 3.0i

My Cars
    99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by IppoJ View Post
    I was going to borrow a tool from a local shop but I had such a hard time with the rear wheel bearings that I got pissed off and just took the arms out completely. Dropped them off at said shop and picked them up a couple of days later and they installed my new wheel bearings and ball joints. It was worth every penny of the $200 bill.

I still get pissed off when I think about those wheel bearings.

My Cars
    2011 Tahoe, 2011 335is
    You do not need an expensive "special" tool. Here's what I did:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...=923030&page=2

My Cars
    E36M,E46M,951S,CBR
    subscribed

My Cars
    '00 M5 '07 750i '87 325
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnymac View Post

That looks like the ticket vinnymac.

I do wish I knew for sure if the RTAB tool worked or didn't work for these.

My Cars
    Z3 5-Speed Roadster '97
    Quote Originally Posted by IppoJ View Post
    Got that tool for rent, used it myself 2 weeks ago worked great on RTAB and upper & lower outer ball joints (like a hot knife in butter). Follow link in my sig if interested....
    'Sweetness Tres' M44, 1.9L Z3 5-Speed Roadster '97 Boston Green 66K Smiles Mine
    'Sweetness Too' M52, 2.5L Z3 5-Speed Roadster, '00 Jet Black 165K Smiles 2022 Gone Ins Co Total in Jan 2022- Right Front Collision - Paid $8850 !!
    'Ol' Black Betty' S52, 3.2L ///M3 5-Speed Vert '98 Cosmos Black 265K Smiles Wifeys
    M50, 2.5L 525i E34 Tragi-matic '95 Sedan Alpine White III 238K Smiles Was Daughters Mine Again
    'Gretchen' M30, 3.5L 535i E34 Tragi-matic '90 Sedan Glacier Blue/Indigo 144K Smiles 2018 Gone & I miss her
    'Sweetness' M44, 1.9L Z3 5-Speed Roadster '96 Boston Green 264K Smiles Was Mine Ins Co Total in Jan 2013- Rear End Collision - Paid $4800 !!

My Cars
    1973 Datsun 240Z 1996 M3
    awesome now i have another thing I wanna replace on my M3!! this could be the phantom knock (midgets with beer bottle's in trunk sound) that has been killing me even after i replaced everything else.

Ronnie

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    subscribed
    1997 Arctic Silver/Black M3
    CES Stage IV (651rwhp/615rwtq @ 24 psi)

1999 Techno Violet/Dove M3
    Auto/Convertible and staying stock!

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnymac View Post

Great write up. I did basically the same thing with various sizes of pipes and sockets, some of which I had to grind down (no lathe) to rest on the bearing sleeved, but fit through the hole.

FWIW, the extra steps to remove the rotor (backing off the parking brake) and pulling the assembly off to remove the dust shield will be well worth it when you actually start working on the replacement.

The mounting hole sits at a slight outwards angle that puts one end right up against the shield, making it tough to work with your tools in there.
    -Steve

Do you like large cats?

My Cars
    N/A
    Edit: And yes, I've had the 96+ parts on my '95 for several years without a problem. They fit just fine.
    -Steve

Do you like large cats?

My Cars
    03 Tahoe Z71/03 Camry
    That was a GREAT write-up with the copper pipe.
    -Ken

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    Does anyone have the VPD tool to rent? I have to replace mine (lower ones have play in them)
    1997 Arctic Silver/Black M3
    CES Stage IV (651rwhp/615rwtq @ 24 psi)

1999 Techno Violet/Dove M3
    Auto/Convertible and staying stock!

My Cars
    1977 911S, 1998 M3
    I know this thread is ancient, but today I started the job of replacing the rear ball joints on my '98 M3 with 205K miles (and yes, original ball joints). Everything was going ok up until I tried to remove the eccentric bolt from the left lower ball joint. The bolt appears to be seized in the ball joint (the top bolt came out fine). Has anybody experienced this before? Turning the head of the bolt simply causes the inner ball joint to spin. I tried beating it out with a large hammer (with nut attached at end to protect the threads), but it hasn't moved. I can use heat, but if that doesn't work and I end up melting the rubber boots on the existing ball joint in the process, then I'm even worse off. Any suggestions? I could try an air hammer, but I didn't think that would be as effective as the BFH.

Thanks
    '77 911S - 2.7RS
    '98 M3/4

rcM3 is offline baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah...
    My Cars
    '98 M3/2, '09 Cooper S
    Quote Originally Posted by frankc View Post
    I know this thread is ancient, but today I started the job of replacing the rear ball joints on my '98 M3 with 205K miles (and yes, original ball joints). Everything was going ok up until I tried to remove the eccentric bolt from the left lower ball joint. The bolt appears to be seized in the ball joint (the top bolt came out fine). Has anybody experienced this before? Turning the head of the bolt simply causes the inner ball joint to spin. I tried beating it out with a large hammer (with nut attached at end to protect the threads), but it hasn't moved. I can use heat, but if that doesn't work and I end up melting the rubber boots on the existing ball joint in the process, then I'm even worse off. Any suggestions? I could try an air hammer, but I didn't think that would be as effective as the BFH.

Thanks
    A real treat to get these old threads dug up.

Do you have the ball joint tool for this? Can you set it up on the other side of the hub so the bolt isn’t in the way?
    Last edited by rcM3; 06-23-2018 at 09:33 PM.

My Cars
    98' M3/4/5, 85' 944
    Quote Originally Posted by frankc View Post

Thanks

Yep just went through this. Its very common apparently. Mine wouldnt budge no matter what I ended up taking an angle grinder to the bolt head and the threads on the other side. Very time consuming. I have only done one side if the other bolt is welded in there by rust I will attempt to drill the head side off instead should be faster than grinding.

You can slide the control arms over whats left of the bolt.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    After trying multiple no destructive methods, I was successful with heat and brute force. I cut the control arm and bolt off, put a lot of heat to it, and went to town with a 32oz ball-peen hammer until the ball joint was free. It was not easy and you will have to replace the bolt (which you should do anyways), but it was effective.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234