Page 5 of 86 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314153055 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official BMW STEP FAQ

My Cars
    '09 M5 & '06 X5 4.8is
    I'd just like to add that Level 4 is for techs just starting out. As you take more classes, you get bumped up levels. Master techs are Level 1.

I had no idea what CORA stood for until just now. Thanks bimmer boyis.

My Cars
    e46 m3, e28 m5
    So it starts at level 4 and as you go down you are higher up?

My Cars
    Avus e30(sold), '95 Avus
    yes
    Level 1 Certified BMW Technician

My Cars
    e46 m3, e28 m5
    How long if you have all the classes past and stuff do you have to be working until your a level 1?

My Cars
    Avus e30(sold), '95 Avus
    You'll come out of STEP as a level 1 tech or at least close. I had all my classes besides , '07 updates. If you keep up your classes and have 3 more years in a center(step counts as 2 years experience) you'll be a master.

nickdrivesm3 is offline <---Retired from that BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs
    Sometimes, you'll come out of STEP and there will be a class you cannot take yet. Like E60 M5 was only for foremans when it was first out. It took me about a year to reinstate my lvl 1 status after graduating STEP.

- Nick: Pacific Region Vice-President for BMW CCA
    San Diego BMW CCA Past President
    Join the BMW Car Club of America!!!

My Cars
    Avus e30(sold), '95 Avus
    Yea I got pretty lucky. I just got e60 M5 before I graduated. We had the car but were waiting on an S85 so we could complete the class. Got lucky and got a hydrolocked one from a local dealer.

My Cars
    BMWs
    thats how it was like with my class and E90.

My Cars
    none
    ive got another question. Has anyone been denied from STEP or know anyone thats been denied? if so, what was the reason? and also do ASE's really matter when applying to step? cus i just took the a6 and a8 today and didnt pass ...it was harder then i thought

My Cars
    '09 M5 & '06 X5 4.8is
    Quote Originally Posted by sablan02 View Post
    ive got another question. Has anyone been denied from STEP or know anyone thats been denied? if so, what was the reason? and also do ASE's really matter when applying to step? cus i just took the a6 and a8 today and didnt pass ...it was harder then i thought
    Obviously, anything helps, but ASEs aren't a requirement by any means.

Of course people get denied from STEP. A lot of people interview, but there are limited spaces in each class, so not everybody gets accepted.

My Cars
    e46 m3, e28 m5
    yes there are a lot of people that are denied. A6 and A8 ASE's really help out a lot. I know at my school if you arent working in the field while your in school he will pass over you no matter what your grades and everything were. Its not an easy task to get into STEP

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by tsweers89 View Post
    yes there are a lot of people that are denied. A6 and A8 ASE's really help out a lot. I know at my school if you arent working in the field while your in school he will pass over you no matter what your grades and everything were. Its not an easy task to get into STEP
    Getting an automotive job is essential to being accepted into STEP. It shows that you actually want to work in this field and you have used your resources to do so. I'm not suprised people have been denied due to lack of employment.

My Cars
    '94 G20 + '04 S2K
    So it's getting time for me toe decide where I want to go...I was thinking about:

Arizona, NorCal, Georgia, Hawaii, Texas, Florida.

Anyone have any suggestions as where a good place to go would be? I don't want to live in an area with any real snow. I'm also kinda reluctant to Georgia and Florida due to members that oppose dark skinned individuals such as myself...(i'm indian.). So yeah...any suggestions from you guys would be great. Thanks in advance.

-Ronny

My Cars
    e46 m3, e28 m5
    Arizona

My Cars
    '09 M5 & '06 X5 4.8is
    Quote Originally Posted by KwikyMAN View Post
    So it's getting time for me toe decide where I want to go...I was thinking about:

Arizona, NorCal, Georgia, Hawaii, Texas, Florida.

Anyone have any suggestions as where a good place to go would be? I don't want to live in an area with any real snow. I'm also kinda reluctant to Georgia and Florida due to members that oppose dark skinned individuals such as myself...(i'm indian.). So yeah...any suggestions from you guys would be great. Thanks in advance.

-Ronny
    NorCal is great if you're into the big city life. I lived there for two years and really enjoyed it. Anywhere in the Peninsula is super nice (although slightly expensive). That's where I'd live if I were to move back.

I recommend checking out Peter Pan BMW. A few of my classmates went there, and one of my current coworkers used to work there and loved it.

Lots of good Indian restaurants in the East Bay too. Yum.

My Cars
    Avus e30(sold), '95 Avus
    Are you currently in STEP?

As far as moving for employment head to a metro area. Even if it's a smaller area. I know numerous techs that have left my center because they didn't like the area and ended up coming back because the work load wasn't there at more rural centers. I even know of a particular dealer in Deleware that put the techs on salary because there wasn't enough COD work to make a living.

Talking to the techs isn't the greatest way to gauge a center either. I mean lets face it knowbody want to see another guy roll into the shop and take money out of their pocket. If visit a dealer midweek you'll get the best
    idea of the kind of volume comes through the shop.
    Last edited by shogun; 03-17-2019 at 10:04 AM.

My Cars
    '09 M5 & '06 X5 4.8is
    Agreed. Be sure to ask how many cars roll through the shop a week, and what the average tech flags each week or pay period. Don't pick a center just because they'll give you a good hourly rate. That means nothing if you can only flag 5 hours a day.

My Cars
    e46 m3, e28 m5
    that si true. i'll have to keep that in mind

My Cars
    '94 G20 + '04 S2K
    Quote Originally Posted by kellie View Post
    NorCal is great if you're into the big city life. I lived there for two years and really enjoyed it. Anywhere in the Peninsula is super nice (although slightly expensive). That's where I'd live if I were to move back.

I recommend checking out Peter Pan BMW. A few of my classmates went there, and one of my current coworkers used to work there and loved it.

Lots of good Indian restaurants in the East Bay too. Yum.
    Yeah...I was kinda leaning to NorCal as a second or third choice...I have some good friends up there, and I've been hearing how beautiful the weather is.

Quote Originally Posted by bimmer_boyis View Post
    Are you currently in STEP?

As far as moving for employment head to a metro area. Even if it's a smaller area. I know numerous techs that have left my center because they didn't like the area and ended up coming back because the work load wasn't there at more rural centers. I even know of a particular dealer in Deleware that put the techs on salary because there wasn't enough COD work to make a living.

Talking to the techs isn't the greatest way to gauge a center either. I mean lets face it knowbody want to see another guy roll into the shop and take money out of their pocket. If visit a dealer midweek you'll get the best
    idea of the kind of volume comes through the shop.

I am indeed in step. However my primary concerns aren't about the volume or hourly rate. I'm sure money will fall into place whether it's by what I make at the dealership, or whether it's by proper investing. My real concern is the kind of people and the diversity of the area/lifestyle. I'd rather be making less and be working with a bunch of good people rather than making loads of cash amongst a bunch of jerks and backstabbers, ya know? May sound crazy to some, but it's just the way I am....I guess.

-Ronny

My Cars
    '09 M5 & '06 X5 4.8is
    Quote Originally Posted by KwikyMAN View Post
    I am indeed in step. However my primary concerns aren't about the volume or hourly rate. I'm sure money will fall into place whether it's by what I make at the dealership, or whether it's by proper investing. My real concern is the kind of people and the diversity of the area/lifestyle. I'd rather be making less and be working with a bunch of good people rather than making loads of cash amongst a bunch of jerks and backstabbers, ya know? May sound crazy to some, but it's just the way I am....I guess.

-Ronny
    I agree, and I feel the same way, so that is how I chose my dealership. On one hand, I feel I made the right decision because I work with an amazing group of people. They are the reason it's been bearable over the last few months.

On the other hand, there were paychecks where I made less than my rent payment and had to dig into my savings (thank goodness I even had savings) just to make ends meet. It's extremely stressful to work your ass off doing crap warranty work and not even make enough money to pay your bills. Work load is important. You don't want to sit on your ass at work because there are no cars to fix, it sucks. There is always a happy medium. I don't think the Bay Area will have any shortage of work, but if you end up in Kentucky, well...you know....

My Cars
    Avus e30(sold), '95 Avus
    Yea I can feel you on the crap warranty work. First 6 months were terrible, i'm talking nothing but e65's and warranty e90's. Then once I proved myself my service manager started droppin me some decent tickets. I'm to the point
    now where less than 60 hours a week and i'm sort of wondering what I did with all my time.
    Last edited by shogun; 03-17-2019 at 10:05 AM.

My Cars
    2008 M Coupe
    I would suggest Arizona. If you decide to go to Arizona I would HIGHLY recommned BMW North Scottsdale as it is a Penske owned dealership whom which I've worked for. That dealership is ran very smooth, its very clean, and they understand that it takes money to make money and they arent affraid to spend it.
    Last edited by shogun; 03-17-2019 at 10:06 AM.

My Cars
    '09 M5 & '06 X5 4.8is
    FWIW, BMW of San Diego is also Penske owned.

My Cars
    '94 G20 + '04 S2K
    Awesome info guys, thanks a lot. Kellie, I definitely understand where you are coming from, and it sounds like you put yourself in a good financial plan as far as backing yourself up in case something comes short. Arizona is more than likely going to be my first choice. I heard good things from there (although I've heard that it's not all great joy and happiness as well). Hopefully I will find a happy medium there. If not...well...then I'll just have to do some more searching in a couple of years. You guys will still be around to offer advice won't you?

My Cars
    BMWs
    I'm addicted to BFC, so yes we'll be here. As soon as Kellie starts doing stuff with her e30, she'll be addicted too.

Page 5 of 86 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314153055 ... LastLast