Page 4 of 86 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official BMW STEP FAQ

My Cars
    1967 Camero RS
    flat rate all the way. as soon as i went to flat rate, my pay instantly doubled.

My Cars
    '09 M5 & '06 X5 4.8is
    Quote Originally Posted by tsweers89 View Post
    I know this. but if you had to choose between one or the other what would you choose?
    Salary.

All kidding aside though, I'd choose flat rate. There is more moneymaking potential when you're on flat rate. Hourly is great because it's consistent and there are slow days (or weeks or months) when I wish I was hourly, but under normal circumstances, flat rate is far superior.

My Cars
    95 M3
    VERY informative thread. thanks for all the info. im just curious... nickdrivesm3, how old are you? im 23, and ive got to decide what i want to do with myself. theres a auto school here locally that offers a 2 year course i think. ive been considering this, and maybe going for a bmw specific training afterwards. ive looked into the STEP program.. if i remember, they have locations in Texas Arizona California and 1 or 2 up north. where did you guys go for your training??

thanks again for all the info

later
    mike

nickdrivesm3 is offline <---Retired from that BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by mike02 View Post
    VERY informative thread. thanks for all the info. im just curious... nickdrivesm3, how old are you? im 23, and ive got to decide what i want to do with myself. theres a auto school here locally that offers a 2 year course i think. ive been considering this, and maybe going for a bmw specific training afterwards. ive looked into the STEP program.. if i remember, they have locations in Texas Arizona California and 1 or 2 up north. where did you guys go for your training??

thanks again for all the info

later
    mike
    Mike, I'm 22. I graduated when I was 20 and I've been at my dealership for almost 2 years. I went to training in Fremont, CA. So did Kellie.

- Nick: Pacific Region Vice-President for BMW CCA
    San Diego BMW CCA Past President
    Join the BMW Car Club of America!!!

My Cars
    95 M3
    cool, i need to get to it..

another thing i wanted to ask, what kind of education did you have before STEP? did you go to a technical school? UTI?..

i worked at a nissan dealer for 5 years. i was a porter for a while, and then detailed cars for a few years. i always wanted to be a mechanic though. i took a paid vacation this past year, and when i came back the service manager had given my job to someone else who he could pay less.. you meet some dirty people in the car bussiness. anyways, ive been on unemployment for the past 6 months. ive got to get back in school, and as much as i love cars this seems like it would be something i could do.
    thanks again

peace
    mike

My Cars
    BMWs
    Mike, I attended Wyotech before STEP. I had a part-time weekend job @ Kragen Auto Parts. I had some job experiance before STEP so that was a huge plus.

There are shady people in the car business, but honestly as a porter or detailer you are expendable. You can be replaced and someone is always willing to work for less. But as a tech, you have value. Especially if you are a STEP grad.
    Last edited by shogun; 03-17-2019 at 10:04 AM.

My Cars
    95 M3
    yea, your right. they did me really dirty though. after working somewhere for nearly 5 years, you'd think they would have a little more consideration.

how did you like wyotech? how long were you in school there?
    one thing for me is im in tennessee. so i want to go to school locally if im gonna have to move for STEP. the local school says its approved by the ASE, but it doesnt say anything about NATEF. what is the difference? im going to call them this week and get some more details about their program.

peace
    mike

My Cars
    BMWs
    Before Wyotech bought my school it was Seqouia Institute. It has a different ciriculum than Wyotech but its similar. I liked it, I "double-phased" my classes so I had 40hrs a week of school. However, I graduated in 9 months. Automotive school camer very naturally to me, I understood how cars work easily so the school itself was rather easy. There is hardly any homework and you get a 10 min break every hour you're in class. It makes sitting in class go be easier becuase you really dont have to sit there for 4 hrs straight.

Honestly, you just need to go look at a school near you and see how you like it. If you plan on going to STEP, be sure you can apply to STEP after graduating.

My Cars
    e46 m3, e28 m5
    I am currently at Ohio Technical College(OTC). You can not apply for the STEP program you have to be choosen. At the end of the year they go over everyones grades and stuff and choose people that would be good canidates. Then they ask you if you would like to do it and you start the interview process and stuff.

My Cars
    BMWs
    I am currently at Ohio Technical College(OTC). You can not apply for the STEP program you have to be choosen. At the end of the year they go over everyones grades and stuff and choose people that would be good canidates. Then they ask you if you would like to do it and you start the interview process and stuff.
    Right, assuming he came out with a 90% GPA.

My Cars
    e46 m3, e28 m5
    I talked to a couple of the students and some said they didnt have a 90% one had a 80% and missed 5 days of school. They said most of the things they say you have to have like a clean driving record, 2% absent rate and a 90% gpa isnt true they are leanient on it.

My Cars
    95 M3
    are you saying you have to work for a bmw dealer before you can do STEP? what do you mean they have to choose you?

My Cars
    BMWs
    are you saying you have to work for a bmw dealer before you can do STEP? what do you mean they have to choose you?
    You have to have the grades first. STEP will tell you to get bent if your grades/attendance are wack. However, I've heard they are becoming more leanient. I think its because BMW wants like 4,000 more techs within the next 5 years or something...

My Cars
    e46 m3, e28 m5
    you have to go through a tech school and then get picked to go into STEP.

My Cars
    95 M3
    i still dont get what your saying. who picks you? instructors at your school decide who's good enough for step? what if you school has no affiliation with bmw?

later
    mike

My Cars
    '09 M5 & '06 X5 4.8is
    I think most, if not all, of us went to schools that either had a STEP program on campus, or were sister schools. Here is a list of schools that support the program: http://bmwstep.com/location.asp

At my school, our grades and attendance were monitored. During our last 6 weeks or so of school, letters were delivered to those of us who qualified to take the entrance exam.

There was a student in my STEP class that had attended a community college that isn't listed on STEP's site. I'm not sure how he arranged to take the test, but this form should help: http://bmwstep.com/contact.asp

My Cars
    '94 G20 + '04 S2K
    I talked to a couple of the students and some said they didnt have a 90% one had a 80% and missed 5 days of school. They said most of the things they say you have to have like a clean driving record, 2% absent rate and a 90% gpa isnt true they are leanient on it.

What program are you in at OTC? I'm currently a STEP student there. One thing they are not lenient on at all is the driving record. More than 4 points and you're no longer a consideration.

My Cars
    e46 m3, e28 m5
    Im in the automotive program. I graduate in october.

My Cars
    '94 G20 + '04 S2K
    whereas it's true there is a degree of leniency, it's usually to acclimate valid reasoning for any smudge on their record. The 2% is directed to unexcused absences. Where the student didn't report reasoning for his absence. And the reason for leniency on the grade is due to the grading system of OTC. Missing one day means 25% off of your shop or professionalism grade, which can severely hurt your average, especially if you didn't have a high shop/professionalism grade to begin with. The entrance exam, field experience, and the interview are all key points that will help tip the tables as well. btw, what independent shop are you working at? it wouldn't happen to be larchmere imports would it?

My Cars
    none
    hey everyone! alrite im new to this forum and i signed up basically because of this thread right here! and offcourse because of the bmw information..but anyways..Im a student at UTI in california and my goal since i started was to go into the STEP program. Ive stuck with that goal and ive been doing my best in school. Im about 3 months from graduation and i've already started applying for STEP. I feel confident about what im doing its just that im a little concerned on what they really look for in someone applying for STEP? Another concern is the Entrance test. From what they told me is its a 102 question test and I was wondering how the test was? From what i've heard its hard. I dont wan't to ruin my chances of getting into step because of this test. Any info on how to prepare myself would be nice! thanks

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by sablan02 View Post
    hey everyone! alrite im new to this forum and i signed up basically because of this thread right here! and offcourse because of the bmw information..but anyways..Im a student at UTI in california and my goal since i started was to go into the STEP program. Ive stuck with that goal and ive been doing my best in school. Im about 3 months from graduation and i've already started applying for STEP. I feel confident about what im doing its just that im a little concerned on what they really look for in someone applying for STEP? Another concern is the Entrance test. From what they told me is its a 102 question test and I was wondering how the test was? From what i've heard its hard. I dont wan't to ruin my chances of getting into step because of this test. Any info on how to prepare myself would be nice! thanks
    Have you read through this entire thread? I think we go over the entrance test part.

My Cars
    '09 M5 & '06 X5 4.8is
    Quote Originally Posted by sablan02 View Post
    Welcome to the board. I'm glad you joined, it's a great source of information.

If you're doing well in school, don't stress about the entrance test. Just study and prepare yourself, and you should do fine. Make sure you're well versed in automatic transmissions and air conditioning, because those are two areas that most people really struggle with. If there's any subject that you haven't gone over in a really long time, and you feel you're rusty on, brush up on it. Study for it just like you would study for an ASE test.

Definitely read STEP's website, and read through this thread if you haven't already, then feel free to ask any questions. Between all of us, I'm sure we can give you an answer.

My Cars
    Avus e30(sold), '95 Avus
    Wow great thread guys. I wish there would have been this much info while I was going through the STEP process. As far as getting into the STEP program
    it seemed that the interview process with Charles is a much bigger part of being
    invited to STEP than the entrance test. My instructors said that our class average on the test was something around 75%, kind of garbage in my opinion
    for candidates of one of the most technical car companies in the world. A strong basis in electrical fundamentals is key to work for BMW. The systems are
    more complex than other manufacturers, but once you understand the busing systems they are easy to diag.

As a younger guy that has been kept up to date on all my classes(waiting for enrollment in e93 classroom) 80% of my RO's are electrical complaints, alot of Most bus issues. I hated this work at first, but I embraced the hard problems
    and im a much better tech for it. Trust me there are plenty of overpaid parts
    replacers even in dealerships. Use your head and you'll be a stand out in this industry.
    Level 1 Certified BMW Technician

My Cars
    e46 m3, e28 m5
    There is one thing i would like to now. I now there are levels of BMW technicians. How many levels are there and how do you get from one level to the other? Is it just by how many years youve worked or what.

My Cars
    Avus e30(sold), '95 Avus
    There are 4 levels, from 1 up to 4. Basically the levels are determined by classes
    you have taken. Every center has a required number of techs that have to be up to at least a certain level. It's called CORA(center operating requirment adendum). If a dealer isn't up to the required level which is determined by the
    number of vehicles sold and serviced there are large fines issued to the center by BMWNA.

I've only been at my center for a year now. I have the required classes to be a master, just not the time in a center.
    Level 1 Certified BMW Technician

Page 4 of 86 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954 ... LastLast