Page 3 of 86 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official BMW STEP FAQ

My Cars
    370z nismo, is300, 2rx7
    Any one know of any openings in southern california, or what dealerships have been visiting the california STEP facilities thanks

My Cars
    '94 G20 + '04 S2K
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdrivesm3 View Post
    Its probably a Penske owned dealership, and its hot as hell year 'round. I know for a fact Scottsdale is our competitor as far as CSI. Why do you wanna live in AZ anyway?
    I love the heat, I have TONS of friends in AZ, I don't have to deal with rust; it's close to Cali, but I won't have to deal with as many harsh emissions and other car laws; it's close to Colorado, and it's pretty darn cheap to live in the right areas from what I've been told. I was thinking of Tempe or Chandler. Something to that effect.

Quote Originally Posted by StickSeven View Post
    going back to that larchmere imports conversation, what was it like at an independent foreign car shop? what kind of pay where those guys getting and what were the benefits/hassles of not working for a dealer? I am at a dealer but this place is run so poorly that i feel like i am at an independent sometimes.

the other day i got so frustrated between that and having a crappy paycheck that week, i went back to this thread to see what the name of that bmw independent was and i almost called them up to see if they needed another guy there.

i would really like to get into ganley in middleburg hts., but they arent hiring as of now.....

The independent shop I was at was run rather poorly by our owner. They are indeed hiring, because I dropped off a while ago, and their temporary replacement is looking to drop off as well. No one really enjoys dealing with the owners senselessness. There are good things about the place. Like on Mondays you get to come in an hour later, and on Fridays we come in an hour earlier so we can leave sooner. There's also a full kitchen where you can do whatever you want to do for lunch. That's about where the good things stopped for me.

The workers get decent pay. Nothing amazing by any means. The looks on everyone's faces at the end of the week when it was payday was almost always a bit on the disappointed side. Seeing as you're an experienced BMW tech and can work flat rate very well, you'd make good money on the work they have to do. However since you ARE an experienced BMW tech, you'd probably be thrown on diagnostics for the most part, and might lose some work to the "grunt tech".

The original service writer is a great guy, and is probably the second main reason the shop is somewhat held together. The other reason would be the master technician (not the owner, but a rather young Australian guy). The work they put out and the way they deal with customers is awesome. They recognize the problems with the facility very easily, but can't get the funding or proper support for those items from the owner. The owner seems to be more concerned with beautification rather than the absolutely necessary supplies. Seeing as there's only one man dealing with ALL of management, there's really no way I can say that shop was properly maintained. Workers were disappointed left and right due to improper focus on various areas of the businesses development (i.e. awful marketing, no focus on used cars sales, WAY out-dated "shop image", poor location, poor investment of funds, etc. etc.).

It's really a hit or miss with an independent shop...some are run very well, they aim for a realistic market, have a realistic customer to technician work ratio, listen to inputs from workers through out the shop, have proper management, so on and so forth. But once again, if a person is in a situation like I was (in desperate need of experience and money), then you have to deal with whatever comes your way..

And as far as Ganley, don't go there. Their service dept. is allegedly awful. I think they still use MoDic primarily, and are rather scarce on supplies. That and they really don't get much business. A lot of unnecessary politics as well (or so I've heard). And this is coming from people that constantly investigate dealer conditions and technician satisfaction. The sales end does pretty well though. I would recommend the dealer down by Dublin in Columbus. The name escapes me as of the moment, but I can find out for you if you would like.

My Cars
    1990 Bmw 325i S50
    midwestern auto group. i applied there and got the job, but it was too far for me. it was a very nice facility and i would have been a mini cooper tech there (as i was at my previous job in NY) the minis are simple and easy as hell to make money on. i really liked the manager (Eric Friend) but again it was too far.

how can ganley still be using the moDic? those were all taken back by BMW werent they? i dont even think the software updates we get now would work in that old thing
    Certified BMW tech

My Cars
    '94 G20 + '04 S2K
    midwestern auto group. i applied there and got the job, but it was too far for me. it was a very nice facility and i would have been a mini cooper tech there (as i was at my previous job in NY) the minis are simple and easy as hell to make money on. i really liked the manager (Eric Friend) but again it was too far.

how can ganley still be using the moDic? those were all taken back by BMW werent they? i dont even think the software updates we get now would work in that old thing
    That's a shame it was too far...I hear nothing but good things about that area. I suppose having a family changes things pretty drastically eh...

And I really don't know how they use moDic's or how they did not get rid of it. I just heard the place is really really screwy, and the work there is pretty awful.

And yeah, mini's are pretty sweet. Although I was pretty thwarted on the oil filter cap the first time I ever did an oil service on one...had so much trouble making the cap thread...other than that, I never really had a problem working on one.

I would still suggest going with mid-western auto group for the sake of the long run...but I don't know your circumstances well enough to really be persuasive about anything. The only other dealership I can think of that I heard some good things about is the dealership out in Solon. I think it's called BMW of Cleveland. There's one more independent BMW shop that I've heard some good things about. They do a lot of custom work like making 6-spd E38's and such. I can do some more digging on that place if you would like.

My Cars
    1990 Bmw 325i S50
    that custom BMW shop does sound cool. if you could, yeah, find out some more about that. thanks!. i wanna get in touch with solon as well, i did apply there about 4 years ago and i got the job, it was just a hassle because i was living in ny at the time and the manager there wasnt being all too cooperative about getting me out there. I'd call and hed say "i'll hire you if you move out here" and i was like, i'll move out there if you can guarantee that, and he really couldnt, plus he wanted me to fly out there just to get a drug test, which i suggested having done in my hometown then fax the results, etc... (i dunno if thats ever been done) but it all turned out to be too much of a pain. they do have a mini cooper store up there in solon.. Hmmmmm.....
    Certified BMW tech

My Cars
    '94 G20 + '04 S2K
    hahah, yeah there are a few final options. you sound like you have a pretty good reputation as a tech. i'll find out what i can about that custom shop. i'm not sure how management is there either...but i've been told by the service writer at the independent shop that i was working at that they have their stuff together WAY more than my shop did. That doesn't exactly mean the personalities or atmosphere there is all that great though...so I'll do whatever investigating I can do.

But let me know how Solon works out for you too. I'll see if I can get any opinions from techs from there as well.

My Cars
    '94 G20 + '04 S2K
    The course itself was a blast. There was a ton of information I absorbed, and the tasks were fun too. I'm loving the course as a whole, and couldn't be happier that I got to take this route. But the final exam was just extraordinarily difficult. The module isn't THAT long and even the program as a whole really isn't that long. Granted it's twice as long as most manufacturer specific training programs, there's just so much to learn. I can only hope to retain it all when I reach the field. But I go in every morning with the promise that I will do the best I can.

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328is
    This thread has helped me so much... because I start training at UTI august 6th, and I plan on doing the STEP program afterwards. I had so many questions/doubts about it until I read this thread. Even though the pay isn't as HUGEE as they tell you, as long as I'm doing what I love to do, I'll be happy.
    Last edited by shogun; 03-17-2019 at 10:02 AM.
    arctic 328is / UUC / Eurosport / Bilstein \ TMS \ Zimmerman

My Cars
    '09 M5 & '06 X5 4.8is
    Quote Originally Posted by harry328is View Post
    This thread has helped me so much... because I start training at UTI august 6th, and I plan on doing the STEP program afterwards. I had so many questions/doubts about it until I read this thread. Even though the pay isn't as HUGEE as they tell you, as long as I'm doing what I love to do, I'll be happy.
    I'm glad we could help. Folks like you are the reason I started this thread. We were all in your position once, so we know how it feels. If you have any questions along the way, don't hesitate to ask us.

My Cars
    e46 m3, e28 m5
    Im gooing to be interviewed for the course in November. I've heard all the good stuff about it. I have a oppertunity to get a job at a independent german shop in my area. Ive went to the shop and talked to a few guys that work there that have been there a while and they all say it it a great place to work. The owner said i wouldnt be only working on BMW's id also have to learn about porsche. I havent made my decision yet on what i want to do. What are the negatives to the STEP program?

nickdrivesm3 is offline <---Retired from that BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by harry328is View Post
    Excellent, so glad this helped.

Im gooing to be interviewed for the course in November. I've heard all the good stuff about it. I have a oppertunity to get a job at a independent german shop in my area. Ive went to the shop and talked to a few guys that work there that have been there a while and they all say it it a great place to work. The owner said i wouldnt be only working on BMW's id also have to learn about porsche. I havent made my decision yet on what i want to do. What are the negatives to the STEP program?
    Good to hear you wanna go through STEP too. But for negatives, I can't really tell you the negatives. I mean, you just gotta go through with it and see what you personally don't like. It makes you dealership biased but thats where you're gonna work so its a given.

- Nick: Pacific Region Vice-President for BMW CCA
    San Diego BMW CCA Past President
    Join the BMW Car Club of America!!!

My Cars
    e46 m3, e28 m5
    ^^ i havent made up my mind if i wanna go work for the independent german shop after in done with the 3 month BMW fast track or do i wanna continue on and go through the interview and go on to STEP. I cant decide. Any info or comments would be greatly appreciated.

My Cars
    1990 Bmw 325i S50
    Quote Originally Posted by tsweers89 View Post
    ^^ i havent made up my mind if i wanna go work for the independent german shop after in done with the 3 month BMW fast track or do i wanna continue on and go through the interview and go on to STEP. I cant decide. Any info or comments would be greatly appreciated.

if you go to an indy shop you will have to pay for fast track out of your own pocket. Plus BMW's current training material wouldnt be all to helpfull at an independent , would it? unless that shop had bmw factory diagnostic systems, etc.. and also they would have to be working on newer model year vehicles for it to be beneficial
    Certified BMW tech

My Cars
    BMWs
    FAStrack only gives you a few classes, the other classes you get in STEP makes you waaaay more valuable to a dealership. Look at it this way, how much do you wanna get paid?

A dealer will pay more for a STEP grad than a FASTrack grad. Not to mention you are 100% updated on everything you need to know after STEP. Fastrack is designed for people who want to get into the BMW field but do not have the time to commit for STEP. Those who commit the time for STEP get a way more experiance and training.

My Cars
    e46 m3, e28 m5
    I get what your saying. The indy shop i would be working at said all the cars they work on are 3 years or older. I already am paying for fast track. Eventhough fast track is on all the new BMW's some of the info would be able to be used on older ones. It would give me a good base knowledge on BMW's. I really dont want to relocate which is one bad thing i dont like about step. Also if i worked at the indy shop i would work on Audi, Benz, and Porsche. I do like that because i would learn about those cars to and not just be working on BMW's.I just cant decide what i want to do. a indy shop or STEP ?

My Cars
    1990 Bmw 325i S50
    If you really want to do the indy shop, then why even bother with Fast track? to me the Fast track is still intended for dealership techs. not guys that are going to indy's. I would just go to work right now at the indy. you are going to learn stuff (that fasttrack doesnt teach)at the shop, so why not just go in there, maybe even start off as an apprentice? i have a STEP graduate working next to me in my dealership, and even he doesnt know alot of the basic diagnostic practices, etc...
    all i'm trying to say is BMW training does inform you but mostly people need it to get paid better at a DEALER. I dont think it would help you considering the shop you want to go to. hands-on is the only way to really learn stuff. go in there and work beside an older tech who knows the Benz stuff and the VW and the audi stuff, and you will learn what you need to about certian cars and not waste time (and $) learning about stuff you will never work on
    Certified BMW tech

My Cars
    e46 m3, e28 m5
    In will be working on the stuff i learned in Fast track just not for another 3 years or so. I already paid for it too. At least it will give me a base knowledge of BMW so if i do go to a indy shop im not going in blind nowing nothing about any german manufacturer.

My Cars
    BMWs
    If you really want to do the indy shop, then why even bother with Fast track? to me the Fast track is still intended for dealership techs. not guys that are going to indy's. I would just go to work right now at the indy. you are going to learn stuff (that fasttrack doesnt teach)at the shop, so why not just go in there, maybe even start off as an apprentice? i have a STEP graduate working next to me in my dealership, and even he doesnt know alot of the basic diagnostic practices, etc...
    all i'm trying to say is BMW training does inform you but mostly people need it to get paid better at a DEALER. I dont think it would help you considering the shop you want to go to. hands-on is the only way to really learn stuff. go in there and work beside an older tech who knows the Benz stuff and the VW and the audi stuff, and you will learn what you need to about certian cars and not waste time (and $) learning about stuff you will never work on
    I agree, why go to an Indy after learning how to use a GT1?

In will be working on the stuff i learned in Fast track just not for another 3 years or so. I already paid for it too. At least it will give me a base knowledge of BMW so if i do go to a indy shop im not going in blind nowing nothing about any german manufacturer.
    Why go get training that you can't use for 3 years?

I understand where you're coming from, but my recommendation to you is get into the dealership with this training and get sent to school over the next 3 years.

My Cars
    e46 m3, e28 m5
    Its just that it sounds like a more laid back enviorment at the indy shop. They arent on flat raite and everyone seems to be real friendly. It is also close to were i live and if i go into STEP they said a good chance i will be relocated out of state. It also sounds fun that i just wouldnt be working on BMW the owner said i would have to learn somethings about porsche and audi to. I meen i love bimmers but it would be better to know a base knowledges of other german cars to just in case i want to go somewere else later i have knowledge of other german vehicles to.

My Cars
    98' M3 Coupe
    Hey, nickdrivesm3, im a tech for Toyota right now. While at UTI I wanted, and actually got in to the STEP program but could not take it since I couldnt relocate at the time. Ive been thinking of going over to BMW while im still young. The thing that ive been hearing is that now at BMW everything is warranty work, esp with the free maint programs, and techs are struggling to make time since there is little cust pay work. Is there truth to this? Also if you dont mind me asking whats a good week for you? I dont know BMW labor times but where I work its very hard to hit over 50 even with all cust pay work, its seems that the store I work for is loosing buisness or something because the work just inst there anymore.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by tsweers89 View Post
    Its just that it sounds like a more laid back enviorment at the indy shop. They arent on flat raite and everyone seems to be real friendly. It is also close to were i live and if i go into STEP they said a good chance i will be relocated out of state. It also sounds fun that i just wouldnt be working on BMW the owner said i would have to learn somethings about porsche and audi to. I meen i love bimmers but it would be better to know a base knowledges of other german cars to just in case i want to go somewere else later i have knowledge of other german vehicles to.
    I see, I forgot you are in Wisc. I love it out there, I got family in Oshkosh and a cottage on Lake Winebago. Anyway, you would most likely relocate unless a dealership is your state us willing to hire you. I hope your situation works out for you.

Hey, nickdrivesm3, im a tech for Toyota right now. While at UTI I wanted, and actually got in to the STEP program but could not take it since I couldnt relocate at the time. Ive been thinking of going over to BMW while im still young. The thing that ive been hearing is that now at BMW everything is warranty work, esp with the free maint programs, and techs are struggling to make time since there is little cust pay work. Is there truth to this? Also if you dont mind me asking whats a good week for you? I dont know BMW labor times but where I work its very hard to hit over 50 even with all cust pay work, its seems that the store I work for is loosing buisness or something because the work just inst there anymore.
    Well there is a lot of warranty work. But warranty can pay well. Its how you word your story after the car is completed. The more you say you did (and prove it) the more you can get paid. Of course its not as much as a CP job, but none the less you can make a living off of it.

A good week or 2 weeks actually is above 80hrs. Everyone at my shop needs to average 8hrs a day, every 2 week pay period. Lately its been hard at my shop because we've been slow, however it picks up once in a while and you just take advantage of it. Making money at a BMW dealership is all about motivation, how hard do you wanna work?

Unfortunatly being in SoCal on a hot day, makes you NOT want to work.

My Cars
    1990 Bmw 325i S50
    yeah, i had a few bad weeks recently were i barely hit 40 hrs, but this week i'm up over 50 already and i still have two more days to work., i lucked out though, they gave me an inspection 2 on an M3 the other day (7 hrs) and a trans job on an E65, too (that was about 10 hrs)
    Certified BMW tech

My Cars
    e46 m3, e28 m5
    If you guys had to choose over flat rate or hourly which would you pick? If heard good and bad thinga bout both. Just woundering what you guys thought.

My Cars
    '09 M5 & '06 X5 4.8is
    I'd start hourly, and move up to flat rate once you feel comfortable.

There are pros and cons to each, but flat rate is the standard when it comes to technicians' pay.

My Cars
    e46 m3, e28 m5
    I know this. but if you had to choose between one or the other what would you choose?

Page 3 of 86 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853 ... LastLast