Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help converting 95 M-Sport to 6 speed

My Cars
    540i M, 735i 5 spd, 380sl, xk8, R1100S, Spt 1100i

Need help converting 95 M-Sport to 6 speed

Has anyone converted an antomatic 540i to six speed? What parts needed? Know of any shops in the Atlanta area that can handle the job?

My Cars
    e30 e34
    Im about to finish mine tomorrow. I have just recently been through all of this, so if you have any questions Im sure I can help. Quick parts list off the top of my head:

transmission (plus mounting kit, bolts are different from the auto)
    shifter and linkage
    pedals
    driveshaft
    clutch lines and resevoir
    clutch kit/flywheel
    6 speed crossmember/mounts
    aftermarket chip
    + a number of miscellaneous items

basically you need to go to realoem.com and look up each seperate part of the car, and it will show you what you need. I can tell you I spent more money than I thought I would going into this, but I guess that is expected.

You are going to pay a TON getting this done at a shop. You car isn't oxford green is it? If so I think I've seen you around
    Last edited by Jcbe34; 05-11-2007 at 08:00 PM.
    '88 s54 e30, '00 m5

My Cars
    My car is Hellrot Red. I just bought a "partial" off ebay. I have the trans and support, pedals, lines and wiring harness. Only problem is they are from an e39 so only the trans will work. Are you doing your own? If not who are you using?

My Cars
    '11 328xiT/6, '99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by motoverda View Post
    My car is Hellrot Red. I just bought a "partial" off ebay. I have the trans and support, pedals, lines and wiring harness. Only problem is they are from an e39 so only the trans will work. Are you doing your own? If not who are you using?
    You're asking the right guy, I'll tell you that.

EDIT: Have pictures of your M-Sport? I'd love to see a Hellrot one...
    -Denton

My Cars
    e30 e34
    I've done it all on my own. Took me a while to get time on the lift at work, but I finally got it in the shop this evening, and the tranny is going in tomorrow. Everything is pretty straightforward. Removing the auto tranny is a bitch though.

The e39 tranny is slightly different from the e34, the slave cylinder mounts differently I believe.. Don't really know how much of the e39 clutch system you can use in the e34. Do a search for " 6 speed swap" there was a good thread on this a while back.
    '88 s54 e30, '00 m5

My Cars
    I don't have access to a lift. Let me know how it goes. Where is the shop. Maybe I can stop by tomorrow.

My Cars
    '00 323iTA
    Has anyone converted an antomatic 540i to six speed? What parts needed? Know of any shops in the Atlanta area that can handle the job?
    I'm sure they can handle the job easy: http://www.performingimports.com/

My Cars
    '11 328xiT/6, '99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    I'm sure they can handle the job easy: http://www.performingimports.com/
    Performing Imports is a great shop.
    -Denton

My Cars
    07 335i, 95 540i, 82 911
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcbe34 View Post
    I've done it all on my own. Took me a while to get time on the lift at work, but I finally got it in the shop this evening, and the tranny is going in tomorrow. Everything is pretty straightforward. Removing the auto tranny is a bitch though.

The e39 tranny is slightly different from the e34, the slave cylinder mounts differently I believe.. Don't really know how much of the e39 clutch system you can use in the e34. Do a search for " 6 speed swap" there was a good thread on this a while back.
    From what I could tell by looking at the two trannys side by side the e34 and e39 are almost identical. I can't remember what it was but I posted the difference some time back. I think it was the exhaust hanger mount or something. All the vitals are the same. I will be putting my 1998 s6s 420g in tomorrow. I will have to fabricate a custom tranny c-member because my local dealer sucks dick ( I ordered the proper part on 3/07/07). I will note any mounting problems so I can share them with people contemplating the swap. Tonight I did the pedals, clutch res, clutch master and hose, resurfaced the flywheel and smoothed out the tranny detents. Bright and early tomorrow I hope to be on my way to a 6 speed. BTW, the salvage yard that sold me my swap sent me an e39 flywheel instead of an e34. I will be using an e39 m5 clutch also.

My Cars
    84 635csi, 94 530i Touring
    I didnt do a 6 speed swap but i did do the m60b30 auto to 5spd manual, myself and my friend, with the car on front ramps and jacks in the back...

when it comes to the slave cilinder location, push comes to shove, if it IS different, just go and buy a brake line and bend it yourself to however u want. thats what i did, get two, first one is a learning experience.

also, ALL transmission mounting bolts are ONE TIME USE! they WILL shear off if you try to reuse them!!

My Cars
    e30 e34
    I may be wrong, the location may be the same. I know there is some difference with the clutch system in the two cars, and I don't know how much of it is interchangable. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out. I would definitely get all new hardware though. Just study realoem for a few days
    '88 s54 e30, '00 m5

My Cars
    I thought Strictly German was going to do the work on this? I know Bobby knows what he's doing.

The only difference between the late and early versions of the non-M S6S-420G is the existence of a hole and mount for the CPS as required on all E39, late E38 and late E31 V8 cars. They are otherwise identical.

Trans bolt hardware is not torque to yield, and it is not one time use. You can use your existing auto trans hardware with no problem. Removing the auto is straightforward, but it weighs 350 pounds, so....

As we discussed, you'll need a pedal box and a driveshaft. A lot of the other stuff will work or can be made to work. E34 V8 cars use a remote clutch hydraulic reservoir because of the location of the brake master cylinder. E39 cars tap the brake fluid reservoir. Beyond that it is nuts and bolts.
    Breaking now...

E65/E66: '04 760Li, '08 750Li
    E60: '08 535xi, '08 528xi, '07 530xi
    E53: '02 4.4i, '05 4.4i, '03 3.0i
    E46: '01 330ci
    E39: '97 528i, '01 530i x3
    E38: '01 740iL
    E36: '98 328i
    E34: '92 525i
    ...and various others > more pics & info

>> Like my facebook page - facebook.com/bimmerpc

My Cars
    84 635csi, 94 530i Touring
    ^^

let me rephrase, the bolts used to support the transmission brackets from the body ARE one time use, as per Bentley manual, and as per my experience of trying to reuse them before i found this out

the hardware to bolt the tranny to the engine is reusable

My Cars
    E34 540iM - 93 4.0 Wrangler
    I am using the E39 tranny, everything is the same with the E34 but not the driveshaft and the mounting

I am using the E34 clitch kit but it should be the sprung hub otherwise u will get a broken clutch disc after a while,,

I didn't try the E39 clutch kit yet ( I have them but waiting the e34 disc to get broken lol )

The shifter I used was the E34 with no problems,,
    E34 540i Manual
    Eibakh Pro Kit | Blistein Shocks | EAT Chip | Racing Dynamics Front Stressbar | Racing Dynamics Swaybar Kit | 850cis Front Brake Kit | Zimmerman Cross-Drilled Brake Rotors All Arround | Hawk Street And Racing Brake Pads |Angel Eyes | 8000k HID Xenon Kit All Arround | Plasma Coils | JB Racing Lightweight Aluminum Flywheel

SOLD!! E38 740il

Searching for E39 M5 .......

My Cars
    07 335i, 95 540i, 82 911
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohamed 525i View Post
    I am using the E39 tranny, everything is the same with the E34 but not the driveshaft and the mounting

I am using the E34 clitch kit but it should be the sprung hub otherwise u will get a broken clutch disc after a while,,

I didn't try the E39 clutch kit yet ( I have them but waiting the e34 disc to get broken lol )

The shifter I used was the E34 with no problems,,
    I am going to be using a non sprung hub clutch. I really don't see how that is going to be a problem. All the mounting points except for one are the same between e34 and e39. I actually compared the two trannys side by side and took measurements before I sold the e34 one to jcb.

My Cars
    Lowell,
    I thought Strictly was going to do it too, that's why I got the parts. When I went back, Bobby had me talk to the tech who was doing the work, and he painted such a horrible picture he almost convinced me to let them put in a rebuilt automatic. i.e. three months to do the job and get the bugs worked out, replacing instrument cluster, elimination of cruise control, must have all e34 wiring harness, pedals and box. I don't think he wanted to deal with it. I am looking for someone else.

My Cars
    2004 BMW X3 3.0i 6-speed
    Lowell,
    I thought Strictly was going to do it too, that's why I got the parts. When I went back, Bobby had me talk to the tech who was doing the work, and he painted such a horrible picture he almost convinced me to let them put in a rebuilt automatic. i.e. three months to do the job and get the bugs worked out, replacing instrument cluster, elimination of cruise control, must have all e34 wiring harness, pedals and box. I don't think he wanted to deal with it. I am looking for someone else.
    I understand what you are going through. Years ago when I had my auto 635CSi Euro, I asked around to see what a 5-speed swap would cost me. Every shop was either predicting doomsday or wanted to charge $3500. Most shops only want to do repair and replace work. It's easier for them and the profit margin is higher.

My Cars
    1986 L7, 1983 323i +++
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel635csi View Post
    ^^

let me rephrase, the bolts used to support the transmission brackets from the body ARE one time use, as per Bentley manual, and as per my experience of trying to reuse them before i found this out

the hardware to bolt the tranny to the engine is reusable
    I'm back on BFC for one day, and already a useful piece of info, Im doing the clutch on the 535 and I will be sure and order some...

I did experience similar shear on the e23 fuel tank shield mounting bolts...damn...

Hi guys :awave:
    ITS ALIVE

HELL HATH NO FURY LIKE A 468

My Cars
    07 335i, 95 540i, 82 911
    The automatic is almost completely out. I lack getting the two top bellhousing bolts out then I will have the auto completely out of the way. I predict I will be able to shift the six speed maybe three hours from now.

My Cars
    1986 L7, 1983 323i +++
    I take it you already have all the clutch pedals in?
    ITS ALIVE

HELL HATH NO FURY LIKE A 468

My Cars
    07 335i, 95 540i, 82 911
    I finished my conversion last night around 11:00. OH MY GOD...WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The car feels like it picked up 50hp. It is faster all the way around. I used an e39 tranny, e39 m5 clutch and pressure plate, and an e39 flywheel. All the rest of the conversion parts are e34. I will tell you, the hardest part of this swap is getting the auto trans out and doing the pedals. You have very little room between the trans tunnel and the transmission. Once the old tranny is out, the rest is a breeze. There is more than adequate space to work once the 6 speed is in. I would say I had about 16 hours into the swap but that includes fixing the tranny detents, resurfacing the flywheel, and fabricating a rear tranny c member out of angle steel. I feel every penny I spent was well worth it!

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by chris345i View Post
    I am going to be using a non sprung hub clutch. I really don't see how that is going to be a problem. All the mounting points except for one are the same between e34 and e39. I actually compared the two trannys side by side and took measurements before I sold the e34 one to jcb.
    What tranny mounting u used ??

Which driveshft u used ?

what is the measurment diffrence in both trannys the e34 and e39 ?
    E34 540i Manual
    Eibakh Pro Kit | Blistein Shocks | EAT Chip | Racing Dynamics Front Stressbar | Racing Dynamics Swaybar Kit | 850cis Front Brake Kit | Zimmerman Cross-Drilled Brake Rotors All Arround | Hawk Street And Racing Brake Pads |Angel Eyes | 8000k HID Xenon Kit All Arround | Plasma Coils | JB Racing Lightweight Aluminum Flywheel

SOLD!! E38 740il

My Cars
    07 335i, 95 540i, 82 911
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohamed 525i View Post
    What tranny mounting u used ??

Which driveshft u used ?

what is the measurment diffrence in both trannys the e34 and e39 ?
    I used a e34 540/6 driveshaft. I had to make a tranny c-member due to the fact my crappy dealer couldn't get me one in 2+ months (I ordered a e34 540/6 one on 3/07/07). The e34 and e39 trannys are exactly the same length. The only difference in the trannys is the e39 has a flywheel sensor hole in the bellhousing where the e34 doesn't.

My Cars
    good jop man thanx
    E34 540i Manual

SOLD!! E38 740il

My Cars
    Will the driveshaft, shift linkage, pedal cluster and diff from an e39 manual fit an e34 manual?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast