Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Z4 Top Won't Go Down :(

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4 Roaster
    Hi Doctor Wha

Could you repost the photos for the Microswitch Repair. Would be appreciated Thank You

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4 Roaster
    Hi IMPORTANT MICROSWITCH REPAIR PICTURES
    For the ones that might still be looking for pictures of the microswitch repairs.
    You can find them here. Jump to Forum (Georgia sponsored by Harrison Motorsports) Go to post number 15 by Doctor Wha. He was good enough to post a link for the pictures. I just finished printing them. Thank you Doctor Wha

My Cars
    2003 Z4 3.0I

Missing great top down opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Wha View Post
    The microswitch repair isn't that difficult... Before you get charged money, try this:

Noobie, cant view pic's...help! Appreciate it.

Dr Wha, thanks for the response, alas the new pics arrived, looks like a new format, now not loading.
    Last edited by BigEee; 10-02-2011 at 04:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2003 Z4 3.0I
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEee
    Noobie, cant view pic's...help! Appreciate it.

Dr Wha, thanks for the response, alas the new pics arrived, looks like a new format, now not loading.
    Top is now operational! Pulled switch out. Found missing clip, reinstalled clip....BINGO! Although I had to perform the operation twice! ( clip can be mounted on either end... Guess which end I chose the first time..)

My Cars
    2005 BMW z4
    can the pics be re-uploaded for new newbies?

My Cars
    BMW Z4

Bmw z4 2004

When you press the open button does your windows lower half way and the top release from the windshield? If it is you will be able to see it raise about a 1/4" from the windshield (un-seal from the windshield) and when you push up in the center of the top (at the winshield) it will move away from the windshield.
    There is also the hyd. release valve that is located in the truck as well and if it was pulled and turned 90 degrees by mistake (little red handle in the upper left hand corner of the truck if you are facing into the truck) it will prevent the hyd. pump from working, however the windows will still lower and it will release from the windshield.

I do have the same problem as above. Please help...

My Cars
    z4
    me too, I can not see the pics and I am new. I am having the same issue plus I am a female...and don't want to get higher prices bc I am clueless when it comes to cars :-(

I am great at following directions and would love to see pics! can anyone help!

My Cars
    14 X1 x3.5i - 16 C300
    I've been having the same issues with my z4. I can hear the motor running or "whirring" but the soft top doest move at all... when I do it manually it feels really heavy to move up... I don't want to really spend the money on a new hydraulic unit if I'm not sure that's the problem
    Follow me on Instragram @bassrebel
    2003 2014 X1 X3.5i 2016 MB C300 4Matic

My Cars
    Many
    If you do a search and read the threads already posted on this topic, the 'really heavy to move up' is normal. Even when you enable the hydraulic bypass.

If you are looking for a 100% guarantee before you do anything, then your top will be broken for a long time.
    You all never seem to have enough time to do the job properly the first time, but you always seem to find the time to do it a second time......... ME

My Cars
    1996 bmw 328is
    any hope of having the pics reposted? Deep inside I know it's prob a water getting to the pump issue but I would like to rule out all smaller issues first like shipkiller said.

My Cars
    2003 325i
    The powered top is the main thing steering me clear of getting a convertible. I really want one, but the automatic top appears to be a complex contraption just fraught with potential issues. I really wish they were just manual, particularly on a small roadster. Why do you even need a power top with such a small top?? *sigh*

My Cars
    Many
    Quote Originally Posted by z4suni View Post
    me too, I can not see the pics and I am new. I am having the same issue plus I am a female...and don't want to get higher prices bc I am clueless when it comes to cars :-(

I am great at following directions and would love to see pics! can anyone help!

PM me your email address.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Colo Springs E View Post
    The powered top is the main thing steering me clear of getting a convertible. I really want one, but the automatic top appears to be a complex contraption just fraught with potential issues. I really wish they were just manual, particularly on a small roadster. Why do you even need a power top with such a small top?? *sigh*

With that attitude, why do you even own a vehicle in the first place? Especially a BMW. They are ‘complex contraptions fraught with potential issues’…. BMW’s more so than Honda’s, Toyota’s, Chevy’s, Fords……
    If you had performed a mediocre amount of research, you would find that BMW DID offer a manual top on the Z4, only very few cars were actually ordered with one.

There are a couple of reasons you want a power top on this type of car.
    One reason is the top is quite heavy. It is hard to move up and down manually. The top is not light in comparison to say, a Miata… It (the top) is a three layer sandwich that makes the interior very quite when compaired to other cars.
    The second reason is people who could afford a new two seat roadster could also afford the maintenance on the car. They were able to pay for convenience…..

If a person cannot afford to do the proper maintenance on a vehicle, then a person cannot afford the thing in the first place.
    You all never seem to have enough time to do the job properly the first time, but you always seem to find the time to do it a second time......... ME

My Cars
    2003 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by shipkiller View Post
    pm me your email address.

- - - updated - - -

with that attitude, why do you even own a vehicle in the first place? Especially a bmw. They are ‘complex contraptions fraught with potential issues’…. Bmw’s more so than honda’s, toyota’s, chevy’s, fords……
    if you had performed a mediocre amount of research, you would find that bmw did offer a manual top on the z4, only very few cars were actually ordered with one.

There are a couple of reasons you want a power top on this type of car.
    One reason is the top is quite heavy. It is hard to move up and down manually. The top is not light in comparison to say, a miata… it (the top) is a three layer sandwich that makes the interior very quite when compaired to other cars.
    The second reason is people who could afford a new two seat roadster could also afford the maintenance on the car. They were able to pay for convenience…..

If a person cannot afford to do the proper maintenance on a vehicle, then a person cannot afford the thing in the first place.
    I currently own an 11-year old BMW, so I'm quite familiar with the cost of ownership, thanks.

Didn't know that manual tops were available on Z4s because I've not seen a single one listed on craigslist or at dealerships locally, not one.
    Last edited by Colo Springs E; 07-16-2014 at 07:33 AM.

My Cars
    z3
    A little off topic

My top is having trouble now latching fully to the frame and clipping/latching into the stowed position. It started a few weeks ago, everytime I'd lower it I would drive off and the convertible light would start blinking, I'd turn around and notice the top didn't clip where it should have. So I give it a push down, it clips and its good. Now though it wont seem to close on its own, I have to stick my arm up around the top and pull down as I tell it to lower, so that it will latch to the windshield frame.

It feels like something is out of alignment or something, but I re-installed the top myself exactly per the instructions and it worked flawlessly at least 100 times before starting this issue. It feels like something may be binding somewhere as it tries to close, and it feels like something is keeping it from compressing easily when its being stowed.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2006 BMW Z M3 Coupe
    i can't see them either

- - - Updated - - -

i can't see them either

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4
    Hi All,

First of all, thank's a lot for your comments, I'm riding a 2007 Z4 and my top stop working just like "newdawnguitar" (Andy) mentioned, and my solution was just like wemo3 (Bill) said.

Solution it's pretty simple:

When you open the trunk there are these two black knobs towards the top on both sides of the trunk, these knobs makes this small
    platform (which is located in the middle of knobs) to go up and/or down in order to have more room to store some stuff, sometimes knobs are moved by accident when storing some big bags etc. and WHEN PLATFORM IS UP, THE TOP WON'T OPEN, unless you lower it down again using these black knobs I previously mentioned, and in order to do that you just need to turn the knobs left or right using just your hand untill platform gets down and THAT WILL BE IT, you will be able to use your top again.

If you try this easy process it could save you some time and money.

I hope this help you.

All the best.

My Cars
    Bmw z4

Can someone please send me the doctorwha's instruction pictures for the diy?

Email denistkachuk07@gmail.com or just sent in to messages please.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Wha View Post
    The microswitch repair isn't that difficult... Before you get charged money, try this:

Email denistkachuk07@gmail.com or just sent in to messages please.

My Cars
    Bmw z4

2006 BMW Z4 roof won't move

Can anyone please help me!!? I have a 2006 BMW Z4 3.0si, and I read a whole ton of forums on this, but I was thinking if someone knows exactly what the problem is and pinpoint me to the right direction. I got into my car yesterday, and as I was trying to close the roof it kind of started to glitch in the middle of closing and stopped. Then I restarted by pressing to open again and then close, then it just got stuck. So I checked the shelves to see if they are lowered cause maybe it is the microswitch that is defective. But it isn't the microswitch, because if it was defective then the electronic interlocks would've not closed the roof to the windshield. Manually it goes up and down, but when I put the red tab into place and try to make the hydraulic motor work again, it makes noise but doesn't do anything with the roof. And the light on the console buttons are blinking .. so I DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO!! Please help me, I'm out of resources. And I don't want to go to the dealership as I am currently broke, and I am a handy man guy that I can try fixing it myself. Please can someone help! :headbang:

Quote Originally Posted by newdawnguitar View Post
    Hey All,

I just got my 2003 Z4 last week...

The tops been working fine but i washed it over the weekend and now the top wont go down. Its an automatic top and when i press the "go down" button, it just lights up solid orange. I searched a bunch of forums and i found two possible answers:

Microswitch

Luggage Compartment

its NOT the luggage compartment as im SURE its in the correct position. i have no idea what the microswitch is though....can anyone help????

Can anyone please help me!!? I have a 2006 BMW Z4 3.0si, and I read a whole ton of forums on this, but I was thinking if someone knows exactly what the problem is and pinpoint me to the right direction. I got into my car yesterday, and as I was trying to close the roof it kind of started to glitch in the middle of closing and stopped. Then I restarted by pressing to open again and then close, then it just got stuck. So I checked the shelves to see if they are lowered cause maybe it is the microswitch that is defective. But it isn't the microswitch, because if it was defective then the electronic interlocks would've not closed the roof to the windshield. Manually it goes up and down, but when I put the red tab into place and try to make the hydraulic motor work again, it makes noise but doesn't do anything with the roof. And the light on the console buttons are blinking .. so I DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO!! Please help me, I'm out of resources. And I don't want to go to the dealership as I am currently broke, and I am a handy man guy that I can try fixing it myself. Please can someone help! :headbang:

- - - Updated - - -

Please can you send me the pictures to my email denistkachuk07@gmail.com because your pictures are not coming up on the forum

My Cars
    03 z4
    Georgia sponsored by Harrison Motorsports

My Cars
    2004 BMW Z4
    Hi Dr Wha or Johnbox1 - can I please get pics of the microswitch repair? My clip popped out today
    THanks in advance
    Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbox1 View Post
    LOOK LOOK IMPORTANT UPDATE YOU CAN JUMP TO FORUM (GEORCIA SPONSORED BY HARRISON MOTORSPORTS) POST NUMBER 15 BY DOCTOR WHO. HE WAS GOOD ENOUGH TO POST A LINK FOR ME ON THAT FORUM (THANK YOU DOCTOR WHA ) I would like to see the photos that were posted on this repair.(Microswitch Repair) Im new to the forum. I have a 2007 BMW Z4 E85. Got it about 3 weeks ago. Im having problems with my top not working. I think those photos would help me . If anyone can post them for me it would be appreciated. I seen a post that had the photos but I can't access them. They are Xed out.
    Thank You GOT MY PICTURES READ THIS POST THANK YOU

My Cars
    2007 bmw z4
    Hi I am looking to get those pictures too if I can. My 2007 z4 top will go up but not down (no noise no latch just orange light when I press) Checked trunk compartment and shelf was ok.

Help appreciated - I think it is the microswitch but I am not very handy so the pictures would be a big help/ Thanks Max

Quote Originally Posted by roknbmrz4 View Post
    Hi Dr Wha or Johnbox1 - can I please get pics of the microswitch repair? My clip popped out today
    THanks in advance
    Chris
    - - - Updated - - -

Hi Anybody - Z$ 2007 roof issue -
    Quote Originally Posted by maxharvey View Post
    Anybody? Hi I am looking to get those pictures too if I can. My 2007 z4 top will go up but not down (no noise no latch just orange light when I press) Checked trunk compartment and shelf was ok.

Help appreciated - I think it is the microswitch but I am not very handy so the pictures would be a big help/ Thanks Max
    Quote Originally Posted by roknbmrz4 View Post
    THanks in advance
    Chris

My Cars
    z3
    If you can't jump a microswitch without a picture you shouldn't be working on your top system...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
    I have a 2007 Z4 3.0si and the button works just fine but the top will not sit completely in the stowed position (down). Seems that the passenger side is slightly higher than the driver side and neither are flush with the rear end of the car as they are supposed to be. Does anyone have advice here?

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4 3.0si
    Quote Originally Posted by wemo3 View Post
    ...look inside the truck towards the top on both sides of the shelf and you will notice trunk knobs (almost like gas burner knobs on an outdoor gas grill), when you turn the knobs one direction the shelf will raise when you turn them the other direction the shelf will lower.
    I recently purchased an a 2007 Z4 and the shelf in the trunk appears to be stuck in the raised position. I can't seam to turn the left knob so that the shelf goes back down to the lowered position.

Any ideas why I can't turn the left knob to lower the shelf - the right knob I can turn.

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4 3.0si
    Never mind... I figured it out. The two grill-like knobs need to be pulled out (towards the trunk opening) just an 1/8 of an inch in order for them to turn freely. If the knobs are pushed all the way in (towards the car seats) then one of the knobs would not turn.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast