Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Z4 Top Won't Go Down :(

My Cars
    2003 Z4 2.5i

Z4 Top Won't Go Down :(

Hey All,

I just got my 2003 Z4 last week...

The tops been working fine but i washed it over the weekend and now the top wont go down. Its an automatic top and when i press the "go down" button, it just lights up solid orange. I searched a bunch of forums and i found two possible answers:

Microswitch

Luggage Compartment

its NOT the luggage compartment as im SURE its in the correct position. i have no idea what the microswitch is though....can anyone help????

My Cars
    2003 Z4 3.0i "sold"
    The micro switch is located in the luggage compartment (trunk), what it does is prevent the convertible top from being opened if the shelf in the truck is in the raised position. If the shelf is in the raised position it allows more room in the trunk.
    To start with look inside the truck towards the top on both sides of the shelf and you will notice trun knobs (almost like gas burner knobs on an outdoor gas grill), when you turn the knobs one direction the shelf will raise when you turn them the other direction the shelf will lower. Make sure the shelf is in the lowest position and try it again, if that doesn't correct it put the shelf in the raised position and look under the shelf towards the front of the car (where your seat backs would be if you could see them) and you should see the micro switch, how it works is that there is a little tab on the shelf and when you lower the shelf it is supposed to make contact with the switch which tells the system the shelf is lowered and the top can now be opened.
    Let me know if that doesn't correct the problem, I have just went through all of this and in fact my 2003 Z4 just went to the dealer today to have the motor that raises and lowers the top replaced (they have to remove the complete top to replace the motor).
    When you press the open button does your windows lower half way and the top release from the windshield? If it is you will be able to see it raise about a 1/4" from the windshield (un-seal from the windshield) and when you push up in the center of the top (at the winshield) it will move away from the windshield.
    There is also the hyd. release valve that is located in the truck as well and if it was pulled and turned 90 degrees by mistake (little red handle in the upper left hand corner of the truck if you are facing into the truck) it will prevent the hyd. pump from working, however the windows will still lower and it will release from the windshield.
    But lets take step one first and check the shelf and switch..

I'm sure someone on this site has a link to this or a photo of what I'm talking about??
    Bill

My Cars
    2003 Z4 2.5i
    Thanks Bill,

When I press the button, the windows do not go down at all. Nothing happens...

The luggage thing is in the correct position, and I will be sure to check the microswitch that you described asap. Also, when trying to find the microswitch a few days ago, I pulled that red hyd lever - but i put it back to its original position. Did I really screw things up now?

Thanks so much,

Andy

Also - this should be covered under warranty, right?

My Cars
    2003 Z4 3.0i "sold"
    No, not at all....
    I have heard of the micro switches breaking, hence they stop working (I believe it has something to do with the arm on the switch).
    It does sound to me to be the switch.... I tested my switch by having the shelf in the up position and trying to open the top (should not open), then I held the switch closed while having a helper push the open button to see if it starts to open (should open).
    If you purchased the car as a "certified pre owed" (CPO), then yes it should be coverd under warrenty and it will cost you $50.00.
    If it isn't a CPO then I don't think it is still in warrenty..

My Cars
    2003 Z4 2.5i
    Thanks for the description. I found the microswitch. I assume its the little metal hoop sticking out of the bottom left? Anyways, i pressed down on it (lightly) to see if it was stuck...and it popped off! Ive tried and tried and it seems like theres no way to get it back it on! Very frustrating indeed..

Yes, I have CPO, but why do you think it will cost $50 to repair? im very, very broke right now and i just bought this car about a week ago. The weathers been around 92 where i live and i really want the top to go down!

For anyone else who has the problem, i took a pic of the location of the microswitch...however it says i dont have permission to post links. If anyone needs it (or can post the pic to help others) please PM me and ill send it to you.

My Cars
    Yes
    The microswitch repair isn't that difficult... Before you get charged money, try this:

Last edited by Doctor Wha; 06-06-2007 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Pic Fix

My Cars
    yugo
    Great Diy!!!

My Cars
    Yes
    Thank you!

My Cars
    2003 Z4 3.0i "sold"
    Quote Originally Posted by newdawnguitar View Post
    Thanks for the description. I found the microswitch. I assume its the little metal hoop sticking out of the bottom left? Anyways, i pressed down on it (lightly) to see if it was stuck...and it popped off! Ive tried and tried and it seems like theres no way to get it back it on! Very frustrating indeed..

Yes, I have CPO, but why do you think it will cost $50 to repair? im very, very broke right now and i just bought this car about a week ago. The weathers been around 92 where i live and i really want the top to go down!

For anyone else who has the problem, i took a pic of the location of the microswitch...however it says i dont have permission to post links. If anyone needs it (or can post the pic to help others) please PM me and ill send it to you.
    $50.00 is what BMW charges for an item covered under CPO, I don't think the dealer could repplace the switch (if it were bad) for under $50.00, but I am just guessing and do not have any experiance with this......
    However you can have several items (that are covered under CPO) corrected at the same visit for just one $50.00 charge.

Just as an FYI, you can manualy put the top down...I had to do that for three weeks until my car could get in the shop to have the motor replaced (its there today and they just called, they put the new motor in and it still isn't working correctly....).

My Cars
    2003 Z4 3.0i "sold"
    Doctor Wha,
    Thank you for the DIY, I knew I had seen one on Z4UM, but wasn't sure how to find it...

My Cars
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by wemo3 View Post
    Doctor Wha,
    Thank you for the DIY, I knew I had seen one on Z4UM, but wasn't sure how to find it...
    You're quite welcome, and it was likely mine (as above). I also had the Door Handle LED how-to in there as well.

Z4um is still down, and that's an annoyance (no offense, Kev), as there was something I'd seen there I wanted to look up again as well.

Life on the interthingy...

My Cars
    2003 Z4 2.5i
    THANK YOU!!

Your diy was so perfect! I fixed it and now it works great! The problem was that the little prong wasnt making contact with the button. (well obviously since the prong fell off!)

My Cars
    2004 z4
    First of all I am a new first time driver of a 2004 z4, picked it up at end of March. The car is Great, love driving it.Tatanium Silver,power roof,2.5 Steptronic, premium, heated seats, polished aluminum dash panel and trim, stereo controls on steering wheel etc.

Second of all, I have to thank Doctor Wha. His pics and step by step instructions.I was trying to fit my new wind deflector and rased the shelf in the trunk. then I noticed a pin in the trunk. I didn't know where it was from. I tried to lower the roof and it wouldn't work. I tried everything and to no avail. Once i seen the pics I knew what that pin was from.
    because its still under warranty I called 2 bmw dealerships today , and it would be may 22 before i could get in. So i decided to try it myself . it took me less than 20 minutes and that included the wind deflector.It works perfect.Thanks again for the help.
    Last edited by edmabca; 05-11-2007 at 12:10 AM.

My Cars
    Toyota
    DOCTOR WHA...........Is there any way you can post the DIY and photos of 'How to install lights on the interior of doors'.....please....I thought it was the coolest and very luxurious upgrade......Guys, you have to see this mod, its really classy when its done.

My Cars
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by newdawnguitar View Post
    THANK YOU!!
    Your diy was so perfect! I fixed it and now it works great! The problem was that the little prong wasnt making contact with the button. (well obviously since the prong fell off!)
    Quote Originally Posted by edmabca View Post
    Second of all, I have to thank Doctor Wha. His pics and step by step instructions.I was trying to fit my new wind deflector and rased the shelf in the trunk. then I noticed a pin in the trunk. I didn't know where it was from. I tried to lower the roof and it wouldn't work. I tried everything and to no avail. Once i seen the pics I knew what that pin was from.
    because its still under warranty I called 2 bmw dealerships today , and it would be may 22 before i could get in. So i decided to try it myself . it took me less than 20 minutes and that included the wind deflector.It works perfect.Thanks again for the help.
    You're quite welcome gents! I'm glad it worked out for you! Simple DIY's are great time & money savers, and what's more, you've gotten to know your cars a bit better! Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by code33 View Post
    DOCTOR WHA...........Is there any way you can post the DIY and photos of 'How to install lights on the interior of doors'.....please....I thought it was the coolest and very luxurious upgrade......Guys, you have to see this mod, its really classy when its done.
    Thanks very much for the kind words!

The new thread with the step-by-step photos is here.

My Cars
    06 F-150 05 BMW Z4
    Hi;

I was noticing your conversation on the top. I got in my 05 Z4 this morning started it up and there was a loud humming sound seems to be coming from the trunk. I put the top down and it stopped. Iput the top back up the motor sounded kind of loud but the sound was still gone. I turned the ignition off, and I began to start the car again. As soon as I turned the key to the first position the humming was back. It sounds like a motor running. Any ideas as to what it could be?

PatZ4

My Cars
    2005 Z4
    Quote Originally Posted by PatZ4 View Post
    Hi;

I was noticing your conversation on the top. I got in my 05 Z4 this morning started it up and there was a loud humming sound seems to be coming from the trunk. I put the top down and it stopped. Iput the top back up the motor sounded kind of loud but the sound was still gone. I turned the ignition off, and I began to start the car again. As soon as I turned the key to the first position the humming was back. It sounds like a motor running. Any ideas as to what it could be?

PatZ4
    Hi! I am a brand new owner as well and had this exact same problem start yesterday. Did you find out what it is? From posts above, I will look for the microswitch later today as I know it isn't the luggage compartment. Would just love to know that you have already found an answer.

It appears like the step by step that you so graciously provided have been taken down. I have a loud humming motor sound when I start my z4 and the top was finniky this morning. If you have those step by step picks I would love to problem solve what is going on. Thanks sooo very much!
    Nyleta

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Wha View Post
    The microswitch repair isn't that difficult... Before you get charged money, try this:

Last edited by nyleta; 07-09-2010 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2004 bmw z4
    hi doctor wha i cant get the link to fix the convertible on the z4 for some reason i cant see it can u send it again please

My Cars
    2006 BMW Z4 SI
    Newdawnguitar,

Can you please tell me how did you fix this problem. I have exactly the same issue. I found a little metal pin (or prong) in the trunk. But I don't know where does it go and how to put it there. Perhaps, do you have the pics?

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Wha View Post
    You're quite welcome gents! I'm glad it worked out for you! Simple DIY's are great time & money savers, and what's more, you've gotten to know your cars a bit better! Congrats!

Thanks very much for the kind words!

The new thread with the step-by-step photos is here.

Doctor Wha,

do you have the pics for the microswitch or as to where the little metal pin (or prong) goes? I have the same problem and I found a little metal pin in the trunk but I have no idea where does it go?
    Last edited by mrZ4guy; 01-20-2011 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Many
    Quote Originally Posted by mrZ4guy View Post
    Newdawnguitar,

Can you please tell me how did you fix this problem. I have exactly the same issue. I found a little metal pin (or prong) in the trunk. But I don't know where does it go and how to put it there. Perhaps, do you have the pics?

Doctor Wha,

do you have the pics for the microswitch or as to where the little metal pin (or prong) goes? I have the same problem and I found a little metal pin in the trunk but I have no idea where does it go?

Check your original post.
    You all never seem to have enough time to do the job properly the first time, but you always seem to find the time to do it a second time......... ME

My Cars
    Z4MR
    FYI you can remove the switch alltogether and just short the circuit closed. Did this a year ago, trouble-free since. If you attempt to lower the top with the shelf-locks engaged, the top simply wont close the last 3" on one or both sides. It's pretty obvious if you turn your head and look.
    '06 Z4M, Triple Black, 3.91s, KWV3s, Mason Engineering, Remus, CDV, ZIP 90034. Z4M Flikr Gallery

My Cars
    Porsche 944S2, 03 BMW Z4
    I'm having this problem, it went up slightly then froze. Now it doesnt work

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4 Roaster

Photos for Microswitch Repair

LOOK LOOK IMPORTANT UPDATE YOU CAN JUMP TO FORUM (GEORCIA SPONSORED BY HARRISON MOTORSPORTS) POST NUMBER 15 BY DOCTOR WHO. HE WAS GOOD ENOUGH TO POST A LINK FOR ME ON THAT FORUM (THANK YOU DOCTOR WHA ) I would like to see the photos that were posted on this repair.(Microswitch Repair) Im new to the forum. I have a 2007 BMW Z4 E85. Got it about 3 weeks ago. Im having problems with my top not working. I think those photos would help me . If anyone can post them for me it would be appreciated. I seen a post that had the photos but I can't access them. They are Xed out.
    Thank You GOT MY PICTURES READ THIS POST THANK YOU
    Last edited by johnbox1; 04-09-2011 at 10:30 PM.

My Cars
    Many
    Disregard...

I will see if I can find the pictures I took.
    Last edited by Shipkiller; 04-06-2011 at 09:00 PM.
    You all never seem to have enough time to do the job properly the first time, but you always seem to find the time to do it a second time......... ME

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4 Roaster
    Thank You I appreciate that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast