Thread: Porsche Carrera GT v. E30 BMW M3

My Cars
    '87 Porsche 911, '90 BMW 325is, '01 Volvo V70 T5

Porsche Carrera GT v. E30 BMW M3

Sorry if this is a repost

Cool video from the Nurburgring in Germany of what should not be close at all. Obviously the driver of the bimmer knows the track and/or is a much better driver than the driver of the $400,000 Porsche. Yes the bimmer is a modified twin turbo, but it still should not be close.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/05/04/v...-turbo-e30-m3/
    Last edited by jsabatini; 05-08-2007 at 10:27 AM.
    John Sabatini
    '87 Porsche 911
    '90 BMW 325is
    '01 Volvo V70 T5

My Cars
    96 Dinan M3
    That video proves or means nothing. You don't know the skill level of the driver in the GT. You don't know how hard he is really pushing. The GT is not an easy car to drive. Even Walter Rohl the development driver and rally god crashed several times at the ring developing the GT.

My Cars
    Ford Pinto
    Highly modified twin turbo E30 M3 with properly setup suspension, R comp tires and a good driver -- Why should it be close?
    Last edited by djben; 05-08-2007 at 12:53 PM.

My Cars
    2012 Tacoma
    I'm surprised how narrow that track is. In some spots it's as wide as two Carrera GTs.

Is divorce in the air? Get the list and follow it!
    http://forum.dadsdivorce.com/viewtopic.php?t=13374

My Cars
    Wreck Miata,Dirty Thirty
    The driver means everything!

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1992 Saab 900, 2003 WRX
    id much rather drive the e30 over that porsche, it must be so touchy and tempermental. driving that must be like using a hair dryer to get a single hair out of your eyes, careful or your going to get burned

My Cars
    1997 M3/4/5 & FJ Cruiser
    Anybody notice the driver is not wearing a helmet? Just a hat.

!

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    We all know that the E30 M3 is the supreme engineering feat, never to be equalled let alone surpassed.
    .-=[ Kenny ]=-. See the BFc Drag Racing Standings List for BMW street cars. Watch my drag racing movies on YouTube. Some info on
    BMW turbo street car Drag Racing 101

My Cars
    A Few With Roundels
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
    We all know that the E30 M3 is the supreme engineering feat, never to be equalled let alone surpassed.
    Not really sure what your point is (other than the obvious "E30 is the best car ever made" sarcasm that carries over from Off Topic) ...

I think the wording of the original post was pretty clear that the E30 is at a huge disadvantage and what we're watching pretty much ends up being an experienced 'Ring driver vs. an inexperienced 'Ring driver.

My Cars
    '87 Porsche 911, '90 BMW 325is, '01 Volvo V70 T5
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Carufel View Post
    Not really sure what your point is (other than the obvious "E30 is the best car ever made" sarcasm that carries over from Off Topic) ...

I think the wording of the original post was pretty clear that the E30 is at a huge disadvantage and what we're watching pretty much ends up being an experienced 'Ring driver vs. an inexperienced 'Ring driver.

That was exactly my point, an E30 M3, even a highly modded TT E30 M3 should be no match for a Carrera GT. Similar skilled drivers, it would not be close.

But if you want support for "E30 is the best car ever made", I witnessed proof of that this past Saturday at Sebring when my 1st time at the track green student at a PCA DE passed an E36 M3, a 996 TT Cab, and many other cars in his '85 325es. So yes, the E30 is the best car ever made . Either that or, like the original post, my student, with several years of auto-x experience, was a better driver than those in the other cars.
    John Sabatini
    '87 Porsche 911
    '90 BMW 325is
    '01 Volvo V70 T5

My Cars
    996, 914, X5
    Quote Originally Posted by jsabatini View Post
    But if you want support for "E30 is the best car ever made", I witnessed proof of that this past Saturday at Sebring when my 1st time at the track green student at a PCA DE passed an E36 M3, a 996 TT Cab, and many other cars in his '85 325es. So yes, the E30 is the best car ever made .
    yep that proves it. those other drivers must have had ungodly skill but just couldn't keep up with the E30

My Cars
    hunting for the next
    Anyone else notice the driver of the E30 appears to only have a baseball cap on... I.E. no helmet?

Interesting to watch.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by GotCone? View Post
    Anyone else notice the driver of the E30 appears to only have a baseball cap on... I.E. no helmet?

Interesting to watch.
    you can do almost whatever you want at the ring.

just gotta keep moving... people in little crappers will block a 993 GT2 Twin Turbo doing 180+ MPH.

Yes, its 100% true. Ive seen/been there.
    "If you can leave black marks from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." --Mark Donohue