Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Complete ASC delete with no ABS light/fault!

My Cars
    '97 M3 GTS2#360
    Quote Originally Posted by busterhax View Post
    abs light should never come on, whether the ASC is functioning or not
    On the M3, if you unplug the ASC controller, the ABS light will come on because the ABS will be deactivated and you will lock up your tires and go off the track...........and come back on the track with flat-spotted tires.
    I just cut the cable off and left the module in position, after I realized I had to have it connected. Had I read this thread, I would have left it disconnected and spliced in the resistor.
    You know, a dead cap with the resistor built in, that you could just snap onto the connector..............

My Cars
    M3/28is
    Can someone PLEASE confirm the colors of those ASC actuator wires? From the pics it looks like GRN/BLK/YELLOW and BRN/BLK/YELLOW... I'm trying to trace my way around the Bentley because my car doesn't have this plug!

My Cars
    M3/28is
    Quote Originally Posted by fishforlife View Post
    maybe your car doesnt have traction control
    That is correct. It never did. However, I swapped a S52 with DME and harness that came from a car with ASC, now my ABS is dead. So I need to fake an ASC delete, but I don't have the connection for the ASC THrottle Position Monitor.

I think I've finally figured out why. The 2 wires (BLK/GRN/YEL and BLK/BRN/YEL) go from the ABS slip control module (pins 21 and 20, respectively) to the ASC motor.

Since my car never had ASC and I'm using the original ABS module, I probably don't have these connections at all.

This means I must go directly to pin 20 and pin 21 of the connection to my ABS module and splice in a resistor there... In theory. *crosses fingers*

What really sucks is that the Bentley doesn't have ABS electrical wiring diagrams for my car (96 328 w/o traction control) so I can't compare what else is different and disable the ASC *properly*, i.e. replicate what a non-ASC wiring harness would look like to the modules.
    Last edited by ClayMan; 04-27-2008 at 01:26 AM.

My Cars
    M3/28is
    p.s. I hope I don't have to manually install pins into the ABS connector. (I think I do )

Quote Originally Posted by ClayMan View Post
    That is correct. It never did. However, I swapped a S52 with DME and harness that came from a car with ASC, now my ABS is dead. So I need to fake an ASC delete, but I don't have the connection for the ASC THrottle Position Monitor.

I think I've finally figured out why. The 2 wires (BLK/GRN/YEL and BLK/BRN/YEL) go from the ABS slip control module (pins 21 and 20, respectively) to the ASC motor.

Since my car never had ASC and I'm using the original ABS module, I probably don't have these connections at all.

This means I must go directly to pin 20 and pin 21 of the connection to my ABS module and splice in a resistor there... In theory. *crosses fingers*

My Cars
    Something Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Johno View Post
    looks good. I wonder what the equivalent trick is for an E36 M3. ASC is different in the M3 that what I am seeing in your photo.
    I replaced the 2nd throttle body (ASC) in my previous '98 with an intake elbow from a M roadster of the same year, plugged everything in and ziptied the ASC stuff. The ASC light stayed on, and ABS was still engaged. Not sure why a 328 or whatever would be different.

busterhax is offline Y̝͎̘̍́ͣ̉͑̿̆Ō͎̼̺̬̒ͯ̃̇͗̂ U͈̖
    My Cars
    e36
    my 328 came without asc.

My Cars
    bmw 330
    Hey - does anyone know if when I deleted the ASC and left the plug out ... did that cause a short on my motherboard on the gauge cluster and fry the thing? Or do I have something else going on?

Pic's here: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1073446

BryDog

My Cars
    '97 M3/4, ''23 T4R Pro
    Here is a question. The ASC delete seems like a good idea, ignoring rubbish "statistics," but isn't ASC still active?

The ASC system doesn't just use a 2nd TB to gain traction, but also applies the brakes as well. In effect, it seems as though ASC will still be active, applying the brakes, but won't bog down the engine correct? I don't quite know the specifics of the ASC system.

My Cars
    are a waste of money
    From what I understand the ASC also works in conjucntion with the Anti lock braking, like you mentioned. ASC will advance timing in certain low speed situations due to bad road conditions. This is also in conjuction with the TB closing, which I have since removed the TB plate (training wheels). There is a summary of what ASC does in the Bentley. In my situation the second TB without the throttle plate isn't much of a restriction because I"m SC.

If I was NA I would have removed the whole thing, but kept it so I could put it back in if need be.

My Cars
    '97 M3/4, ''23 T4R Pro
    Then wouldn't this mod title be incorrect? It seems as though it is not a full ASC delete, but a partial ASC delete as the ABS portion of the ASC system is still intact and functioning, but the ASC throttle body is removed.

My Cars
    are a waste of money
    I didn't think the ABS was intact if you defeated the ASC, but I don't know for sure.
    Last edited by shogun; 02-23-2017 at 08:33 AM.

My Cars
    Many Broken Ones
    If you piss off the ASC system (by removing/unplugging something) it gets a fault and doesnt operate. So by removing the entire ASC system you are disabling all its functions including the braking abilities (which i never even noticed before removal.).

oh and the ABS portion of ASC isnt really still there. Thats why you get an ABS fault without this mod. The ASC TB acutator triggers the "ASC braking" (which i still honestly dont believe exists) which you remove when you do this mod.
    460whp/515wtq wifes MMW tuned 335i

My Cars
    TiAg 99' M3 Track/Street
    I've been messing with this for 7 Months now and decided this is the best way to go without having the ECU reflashed for ASC delete.

You can use a 10 Ohm 1/2 Watt resistor as well. What I used. No problem.
    Sold 3/2010 due to economy

My Cars
    Something Cool
    Dude - i really don't know what you guys are talking about....resistors and what not. Just unplug, swap out the tb with the mcoupe/roadster boot, zip tie out of the way. you get the asc light on until you decide to reverse it back, at which point everything goes back to normal the way it was....

My Cars
    are a waste of money
    I have since done the ASC delete, though I left the actuator plugged in instead of using a 10 ohm resistor to keep the ABS in tact. So far so good. I can also reverse the process if need be.

My Cars
    325i
    do you have LSD?
    or why do people take off the ASC?

busterhax is offline Y̝͎̘̍́ͣ̉͑̿̆Ō͎̼̺̬̒ͯ̃̇͗̂ U͈̖
    My Cars
    e36
    Quote Originally Posted by vull View Post
    do you have LSD?
    Wow. You do not deserve an answer.
    Read. There are 7 pages in this thread...

My Cars
    1997 E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by vull View Post
    do you have LSD?
    so the car will let you have some fun every once in a while......

that, and removing the ACS throttle body improves air flow
    Last edited by M3MPHIS; 02-04-2009 at 11:48 AM.

My Cars
    325i
    ok, thanks
    i won't install it on my car then

My Cars
    94E36S50,96S52,03Z4,etc
    I found this thread after an engine swap into an ASC-T car. My understanding is that if I don't bridge the two wires to the Throttle Actuator, I will lose ABS.
    To help settle the geek BMW history arguement, this is in a 1994 325IS.
    I also installed this mod at the switch: Shut off Automatic ASC+T at startup
    If anyone tries that mod, it helps to know that the polarity of the capacitor is indicated by arrows on a stripe pointing to the negative terminal.

Top is: E104 Throttle Flap Heater
    Middle is: M93 Auxiliary throttle position sensor
    Bottom is: THROTTLE ACTUATOR.

Quote Originally Posted by mgraney View Post
    Putting a 1 Watt resistor across the wires won't cut it. If the car tries to engage that actuator for any reason the resistor will fry. You will need at least a 15 Watt resistor. Here are the calculations:

I = V/R (I = 12/10 = 1.2A)
    P = I*V (P = 1.2*12 = 14.4 Watts)
    Radio Shack doesn't have a large enough resistor. NTE makes a resistor that is 10 Ohms and 25 watts. I got it for a dollar at Fry's electronics. SKU# 7 68249 11042 2.

I used that metal sheet as a resting surface to do my sloppy soldering.
    Last edited by DaveAZ; 03-10-2009 at 05:45 AM. Reason: Added a photo of the installed resistor.

My Cars
    Many Broken Ones
    Whats your reasoning behind that? j/w

My Cars
    94E36S50,96S52,03Z4,etc
    Your idea is great, but as a bunch of people pointed out: if the car powers the circuit your 1 watt resistor should fry when 14.4 watts of power pass through it. I'd rather prevent that situation before I need to track it down later.

My Cars
    Many Broken Ones
    The car will never power the resistor unless the ASC TB is plugged in. If its not plugged in then the ASC system (not the ABS system) faults and will never activate.

My Cars
    94E36S50,96S52,03Z4,etc
    I'm not undrstanding that. You put 10 Ohms of resistance in the circuit so that the car will think the device is still there. If ASC+T is turned on, what is preventing the car from powering the throttle actuator, since it thinks it is still present?

My Cars
    Many Broken Ones
    The ASC TB sensor is unplugged so the system faults and never tries to move the actuator.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast