Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Complete ASC delete with no ABS light/fault!

My Cars
    Many Broken Ones
    I would like to do this because im OCD like that but they go into a huge harness that goes into one of the big 3 locking plugs next to thefuse box... Its on the to do list to figure it out.
    460whp/515wtq wifes MMW tuned 335i

My Cars
    Many Broken Ones
    Well this weekend i will be attempting to remove the 2 extrannous plugs in my engine bay for the OBD2 harness. Its not looking like its going to be fun or easy but we shall see.

My Cars
    1995 E36 M3, 2002 E46 M3
    How many horsepower does this add? How much torque? What are the 0-60 improvements? Has this been dynoed?

My Cars
    1995 E36 M3, 2002 E46 M3
    No one I take it? Another BFC myth? Or have there been hard numbers? Interested in trying it if there is proof. Not interesting in deleting for the sake of deleting. Thanks

My Cars
    1990 911C2, 1989 CRX
    You should delete it, I'm sure you could save 2lbs. Then again, everytime I sit on the toilet...
    o>'o Share the road.

My Cars
    Many Broken Ones
    It has no proven hp gains. Thats not really why i did it though. Its a bottleneck, its stupid, and i never used it. And i like a clean engine bay.

My Cars
    M3/28is
    Is this ASC plug part of the OBD2 engine harness, or is it connected to something else?
    Reason I ask is.. I swapped in a S52 (including harness) that oriignally had ASC into my 328is that does not have ASC. Naturally I chose not to install the ASC TB at all, but now I have an ABS light. I went back and could not find any unplugged connectors to do this resistor mod on... So I don't know what the damn thing is looking for.

My Cars
    Many Broken Ones
    If you swapped in an mid 96ish build date M3 harness then most likely you have a connector for the ASC TB. You need to find it and do the resistor mod. Or you can do the best thing and OBD1 convert the S52 .... But yeah. find the plug. looks similar to the foglight plug.

My Cars
    1995 E36 M3, 2002 E46 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by 328iJunkie View Post
    It has no proven hp gains. Thats not really why i did it though. Its a bottleneck, its stupid, and i never used it. And i like a clean engine bay.
    "I never used it" :-)I dont think I've actually ever used my ABS, but thats the point: Safety related features are there for you at the exact time you WILL actually require it. "You don't know it's really there helping you until something happens" says Andy Brown of supplier Delphi. "Then you see the merits."IIHS estimates that if all vehicles had traction control, the risk of fatal single-vehicle crashes would be reduced by 56% and the overall risk of single-vehicle crashes would be cut by 40%.But yeah..I know. these stats dont apply to the typical 19-23 yr old driver on BFC. Because as we all know, drivers with that much driving experience have better skills than computers and electronic aid devices.On the track, I understand why you'd disable the traction control. But on the street, I dont feel the need to increase my chances of an accident by 40% just to gain 1/2 hp at most.
    Last edited by libravcs; 12-01-2007 at 09:02 AM.

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    So what happens when the ACS system tries to apply voltage across your little 1W resistor? Fire perhaps? I haven't traced the wiring for this, but I assume that since it's an actuator, at some point point that plug sees voltage when the ACS system engages.
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    97 M3 RIP / 2007 M6
    Quote Originally Posted by libravcs View Post
    "I never used it" :-)I dont think I've actually ever used my ABS, but thats the point: Safety related features are there for you at the exact time you WILL actually require it. "You don't know it's really there helping you until something happens" says Andy Brown of supplier Delphi. "Then you see the merits."IIHS estimates that if all vehicles had traction control, the risk of fatal single-vehicle crashes would be reduced by 56% and the overall risk of single-vehicle crashes would be cut by 40%.But yeah..I know. these stats dont apply to the typical 19-23 yr old driver on BFC. Because as we all know, drivers with that much driving experience have better skills than computers and electronic aid devices.On the track, I understand why you'd disable the traction control. But on the street, I dont feel the need to increase my chances of an accident by 40% just to gain 1/2 hp at most.
    you don't gain any power. No one has said the ASC gains ANY power what so ever. The most it does, is saves a couple pounds. We do it, because the ASC system on the e36 m3 is an annoyance. 95% of us automatically turn it off when we start up our vehicle. THe ASC was a very very basic traction control, and not as high tech as some of the newer ones. If your car detects slippage, it cuts the throttle. No one can prove this, and others are arguing against it, but there is rumor that it will apply the brakes lightly to the wheel slipping.

Also, all of your statistics are crap.
    IIHS estimates that if
    Whaddaya know, a big old estimate, and a big old "if". Now, if you will, you can go back to loving and relying on your asc, I'll go back to turning mine off when I go driving, and these other gentlemen will love having less clutter in their engine bay.
    Last edited by giterdone; 12-01-2007 at 03:13 PM. Reason: typo
    -Chaz
    My SSK Faq (primarily e36 M3)

Don't PM Me. My box is way overfilled from when I was a mod. Email me if you have to get a hold of me.

My Cars
    Many Broken Ones
    Yes If ASC were a more advanced traction control system then i might consider leaving it in. And the speculation that it uses the ABS to apply braking in addition to the throttle cut is based i believe on the fact that the ABS and ASC systems are intertwined so much.

And after you remove the ASC TPS/plug the ASC system no longer ever trys to do anything with the ASC TB so there is never voltage applied across my resistor.

My Cars
    1995 E36 M3, 2002 E46 M3
    Yes If ASC were a more advanced traction control system then i might consider leaving it in. And the speculation that it uses the ABS to apply braking in addition to the throttle cut is based i believe on the fact that the ABS and ASC systems are intertwined so much.
    Understood. As always, to each his own. I personally have never found anything under a stock hood to be so hideous, I needed to remove it. And as far as speculation, I never rely on that when I need to know how something works. I research myself. With regards to the E36 M3 Traction Control, I thought it was common knowledge that ABS is involved with the ASC system. "4 Channel, 4 Sensor Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) and 4 wheel ventilated disk brakes guarantee a superb stopping power and ASC All Season Traction Control ,uniquely combined with a mechanical Limited Slip ensures more reliable traction and retention of the chosen line when accelerating in a straight line or on a corner. How does it work? ASC reduces engine torque as soon as a wheel tends to spin, for instance, on a sheet of ice. If this action is not sufficient to restore tire grip, the T function (traction control) takes over and the wheel brake is applied. Torque is reduced by the engine's own management system. In this way, ASC keeps the car as stable as possible on all surfaces and in critical driving situations. The system includes engine drag torque regulation, to prevent the driven wheels from locking momentarily on a slippery surface." Works for me. Cheers mates!
    Last edited by libravcs; 12-02-2007 at 08:00 AM.

My Cars
    Many Broken Ones
    I wire tucked all the wires on the passenger side into the fender and deleted most of the wires on the drivers side. Heres a somewhat recient picture

But yeah the nonMs dont have that 'LSD'
    And a way to test to see if the brakes really do anything is to remove the plate on the ASC TB and leave the system active. This will show you if the brakes are really being engaged without also feeling the power cut.

My Cars
    1995 E36 M3, 2002 E46 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by giterdone View Post
    95% of us automatically turn it off when we start up our vehicle. Also, all of your statistics are crap.
    95% of all E36 M3 owners in the world turn off their traction control when they start their cars? Interesting. Where is the link to this study. I'm certain that you didnt just make this "statistic" up yourself, right? ;-)

My Cars
    Many Broken Ones
    hah my AC still works. Basically where the OBD2 power block is there are holes in the fender and you run the wires down in there till the front by the corner light.

Oh and will you guys quit OTing my thread. This thread was to show how it could be done and all that, not to argue whether its a good idea or whatever.

My Cars
    97 M3 RIP / 2007 M6
    Quote Originally Posted by libravcs View Post
    95% of all E36 M3 owners in the world turn off their traction control when they start their cars? Interesting. Where is the link to this study. I'm certain that you didnt just make this "statistic" up yourself, right? ;-)
    Oh noes!!11!!1 you caught me. I made up the statistic. I have not bothered to waste time on such a trivial subject as this ASC one. I merely based it on hanging around this board, and reading how many people turn off their ASC. I also never siad 95% of all e36 m3 owners in the world. I said of "us", refering to those of us who hang around on the board, that i have interacted with via the interweb.
    -Chaz
    My SSK Faq (primarily e36 M3)

Don't PM Me. My box is way overfilled from when I was a mod. Email me if you have to get a hold of me.

My Cars
    97 S54,94 M-Technic,SE36

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by giterdone View Post
    Oh noes!!11!!1 you caught me. I made up the statistic. I have not bothered to waste time on such a trivial subject as this ASC one. I merely based it on hanging around this board, and reading how many people turn off their ASC. I also never siad 95% of all e36 m3 owners in the world. I said of "us", refering to those of us who hang around on the board, that i have interacted with via the interweb.
    +1 dont even listen to that fool, you always, in my opinion, offer sound advise.

OP, I would really like to see how you got rid of all the wires. It looks great.

It has been forever, we should meet up again sometime, id like to see what you have done over the last 2 years

My Cars
    M3/28is
    Anyone? Please? I swapped an engine+harness with ASC into a car without ASC, and I can't find the plug that you solder the resistor to. The ABS light is always on and I'm pretty sure ABS isn't working.

I'm guessing the wires you solder the resistor to go back to the middle of the 3 round plugs beside the fuse box. My car doesn't have that plug, and on the harness side the plug only has 4 actual connections on it, so I'm guessing at least 2 of them must be for ASC. Please help!!

My Cars
    97 S54,94 M-Technic,SE36
    My 97 m has 3 wires going into that plug..

how do I hook up the resistor?

My Cars
    Many Broken Ones
    Okay that three wire plug is for the TB. Dont do anything with it. It shouldnt set off your ABS System just your ASC system if its unplugged. What im talking about removing is the thing directly below the plug your holding in this pic with 2 wires

My Cars
    M3/28is
    Just checked again and my car doesn't have either of these If anyone happens to be down there and can trace down the other end of these plugs, I'd greatly appreciate it if you could let me know... muchos thanks!!!

Okay that three wire plug is for the TB. Dont do anything with it. It shouldnt set off your ABS System just your ASC system if its unplugged. What im talking about removing is the thing directly below the plug your holding in this pic with 2 wires

My Cars
    Many Broken Ones
    They go into the huge circle connectors next to teh fuse box i believe.

My Cars
    M3/28is
    They go into the huge circle connectors next to teh fuse box i believe.
    Sweet... That was what I was hoping for. Would it be too much to ask for someone to trace down which 2 pins in the connector they go to so I can add a resistor there?

My Cars
    M3/28is
    I wish I could do that. I did an engine swap with an ASC harness onto a car that never had ASC to begin with so that whole set of wiring (the middle plug at the fusebox) is not even there... So the plugs that you guys can just solder a resistor to does not exist, presumably since it's on the car's side of the wiring. Right now I have an ABS light and a 3rd plug from the harness not plugged into anything (with only 4 pins) inside, and I need to find which 2 pins to connect with a resistor to make my ABS work again...

Quote Originally Posted by fishforlife View Post
    hahahhah...good luck
    i did a wire tuck 3 weeks ago in the engine bay and took the wires back to the fuse box...it was a headache that once i started i couldnt finish till it was done. it was very difficult at best to trace the individual wires in there due to the sheer numbers of wires and also the limited room to work. just do it in the open and push whats left of the wires down and out of the way..mine are impossible to see to the untrained eye

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast