RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Turn signal housing help please!

My Cars
    1998 528i

Turn signal housing help please!

So, i had to get rid of my cheapo ebay headlights for P39's, but since P39's take the factory turn signal housing, i was in deep crap. I originally cut the wires leading from them so i could use the ones that came with the ebay ones and so i could run the AE wires into them, well.. i cut it close to the housing for the factory housings, and i dont know how to hook up my new P39's... Picture below

Is there a way to get those wires out and maybe replace them with new ones or something? Do I need to buy a new adapter or anything as well?

Thanks in advance for any help guys!

My Cars
    '09 M5 & '06 X5 4.8is
    Go to your local dealership parts department and ask them for new connector housings (bring them the old one), some heat shrink tubing, and either repair wires, or the little metal crimp-on pins that plug into the connector housing. If they give you repair wires, you can either solder them on where you cut the old wire, or crimp them together with crimp connectors, then cover them with heat shrink tubing. Make sure you pay attention to which wire goes where.

Hopefully they can get you just the connector housing. I did a similar repair on a car that was in an accident, and I had to replace the whole headlight harness.

My Cars
    1998 528i
    Thank you very much! I'll try to do that tomorrow before work. Argh, I should've just screwed the cheap crap and waited! Hopefully this stuff isn't too expensive from the dealership!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    I'm not familiar with that connector. AFAIK, most of those type of things are available from the dealer.

Also a lot of them have pins that go into the connector. Take a look where the wires go into the connector and see if you can tell if there are pins inside. You might be able to buy a pin extractor that helps you remove the pins. Then just buy new pins, attach new wires to the pins and slip them into the connectors.
    Steve
    2001 530i/5 S+P CDV delete/Akebono ceramic pads/M5 SSK/RedLine MTL/M5 rear sway bar
    BMWCCA Member #337964

My Cars
    '09 M5 & '06 X5 4.8is
    I would have told him to do the same thing, however I don't think the connectors are that expensive, and MOST of the time if you don't have a lot of experience popping the pins out, the connector breaks. It depends on the style of connector though, I can't really tell from the picture.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    Yea, if I had to deal with that, I'd just buy new connectors, too. Much easier fix.
    Steve
    2001 530i/5 S+P CDV delete/Akebono ceramic pads/M5 SSK/RedLine MTL/M5 rear sway bar
    BMWCCA Member #337964

My Cars
    1998 528i
    Okay, pictures of both housing and adapter thingy

When I go to the dealership, they won't refuse to help since its an aftermarket thing right? Since I'm trying to wire my P39 AE wires to my turn signals.. Thanks guys!

My Cars
    '09 M5 & '06 X5 4.8is
    Hmm, that looks like one of the connectors where the outer part slides off. It's really hard to say for sure without seeing more/better quality pics though.

Don't worry, as long as you're buying parts from them, the parts guys couldn't care less what you do with them.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    If it's a factory part, they'll get it for you. They don't know and don't care what you're doing with it. Take a look here and see if you find the part.
    Steve
    BMWCCA Member #337964

My Cars
    1998 528i
    or
    61138365356, one says ended, so not sure what that means. seem to be the same thing though. Thanks a bunch guys, and I'm hoping that they dont just give me the part, because without wires attached to it and all, im in the same position :P

My Cars
    '09 M5 & '06 X5 4.8is
    It probably won't come with wires attached. That's why I said to get the pins and crimp them onto the wires, or see if they have a wire repair kit for them. The wire repair kit is just a plain wire with the pin already crimped on. You can solder or crimp that onto the existing wire and pop it into the new connector.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Yes, go to the dealer and tell them you need the pin connectors that go into the turn signal socket (4 total) and 2 new sockets. Crimp the new pins onto the ends of the old wiring coming from the car and slide them into the new sockets.