Thread: wants to become a new 2002 owner, with ?s.

My Cars
    1991 318is parts car

wants to become a new 2002 owner, with ?s.

Hi,

Im on the verge of selling my M3 and finding a nice 2002 for a daily driver and do things here and there to make it faster.

I found this 1975 2002 near me that looks like this:

the owner claims of no rust, it drives solid and spent about $3000 in parts and service (tune up, recaro seats, wheels, New fuel lines, distributer cables, shock tower dampners, motor mounts, and muffler) all reciepts are there. he used it as a daily and the AC blows cold.

now i want to know is are the 1975 cars a pain? i dont know too much about these cars/motors that much (still doing my 2nd day of research on 2002faq.com).

i want to know if getting rid of the extended front bumper much work?

is it alot of hassle to remove the emissions thermal reactor and air pump?

can i eventually turbo this puppy?

what are my options to make this 2002 a reliable, streetable daily driver capable of 150+hp? or what ever is the more reasonable.

Thanks for any help.

My Cars
    1970 BMW 2002, 2011 135i
    i don't think there's much difference in any year 2002 as far as working on them. they're all very similar, especially 74-76. obviously the tii's and turbos will be more complicated. most parts are interchangeable between the later years. there is some modification to be done in changing that bumper to the older style chrome bumper. if you go to my2002ti.com there's a step by step for doing that, plus for someone just getting into 02's it's a really, really good informative read. i highly suggest checking it out. keith did an amazing job documenting his restoration process. check the rear shock towers for rust. that will give you somewhat of an indication as to the overall condition of the car. i don't know about adding a turbo, but i'm sure someone can help out here. and i don't know what the guy is asking for the car, but personally i think it looks pretty sweet as is....keep us posted.

OldSkoolBMW
    1970 2002, 1986 GTI VR6, 2011 135i

My Cars
    1991 318is parts car
    Quote Originally Posted by gelf74 View Post
    i don't think there's much difference in any year 2002 as far as working on them. they're all very similar, especially 74-76. obviously the tii's and turbos will be more complicated. most parts are interchangeable between the later years. there is some modification to be done in changing that bumper to the older style chrome bumper. if you go to my2002ti.com there's a step by step for doing that, plus for someone just getting into 02's it's a really, really good informative read. i highly suggest checking it out. keith did an amazing job documenting his restoration process. check the rear shock towers for rust. that will give you somewhat of an indication as to the overall condition of the car. i don't know about adding a turbo, but i'm sure someone can help out here. and i don't know what the guy is asking for the car, but personally i think it looks pretty sweet as is....keep us posted.
    thanks for the link!

i have yet to really see this car in person, as the guy works as captain for fishing excursions and is in the bahamas right now and would have to fly back to sell the car. i found his post on craigslist, a month old, and emailed him. he's asking for $8600 (from what he paid in sept. + parts and services done)

although he posted the car to be a 1974, the vin he gave me was for a 75.

i am hesitant because i would have to sell my m3(daily) before purchasing this 2002, and 2002s in FL are not at all like finding one in CA.

i also want to make sure this car has the potential for what i want it to be, and not a car that will spend alot of time in the shop. i guess my goals would be to get this car to have the euro look and have the opportunity to reach 150hp with out extensive custom work and still be my daily driver.
    i also dont want to get into the money pit/hassle that non-M3 e36 owners do to make their car an m3. i just want euro bumpers, sidemarkers, and more than 100hp for oomph.

any more thoughts and opinions would be great.

My Cars
    '70 2002
    8600$ for that thing is laughable. The best thing to do is be very patient and buy the car with the least amount of rust and body work that needs to be done. As for getting 150hp, crank or wheel? 150 crank horse can be done with compression, cam, dual sidedrafts, headers and head work. The emissions stuff is easy to get rid of and should be one of the first things you do when you get the car, other than driving it like you stole it.

My Cars
    1991 318is parts car
    Quote Originally Posted by SOUTHBAYeric View Post
    8600$ for that thing is laughable. The best thing to do is be very patient and buy the car with the least amount of rust and body work that needs to be done. As for getting 150hp, crank or wheel? 150 crank horse can be done with compression, cam, dual sidedrafts, headers and head work. The emissions stuff is easy to get rid of and should be one of the first things you do when you get the car, other than driving it like you stole it.
    yeah, thats what i thought.

i dont know how realistic is getting 150hp at the crank? pretty easy?

how much more fun is getting one with a tii motor?

My Cars
    1970 BMW 2002, 2011 135i
    i think that price is high for a non-tii '02....obviously it's a little tough to tell from that pic, but if you keep searching i think you could find one in that shape for insignificantly less money. plus, it seems like you're really focused on hp and performance, i'd be looking for a tii. best of luck. keep us posted. if you don't mind my asking, why are you looking to get rid of your m3?

OldSkoolBMW
    1970 2002, 1986 GTI VR6, 2011 135i

My Cars
    1991 318is parts car
    Quote Originally Posted by gelf74 View Post
    i think that price is high for a non-tii '02....obviously it's a little tough to tell from that pic, but if you keep searching i think you could find one in that shape for insignificantly less money. plus, it seems like you're really focused on hp and performance, i'd be looking for a tii. best of luck. keep us posted. if you don't mind my asking, why are you looking to get rid of your m3?
    i think im ready for something different and a new project daily driver.

the M3 is a great car, but i think the 2002 will give me more of what i want out of a car. im ready for a change.
    i also want to learn more about these carb'd cars and/or this Kugelfischer injection system is all about. They also seem to be more affordable.(if i find one with out rust)

My Cars
    1987 325is 1989 325is
    I think 8600 is a bit much for that car, unless the mechanicals are showroom. The least he could have done would've been to strip the oxidation off the outside.

8600 is a decent deal for a virtually perfect 02, even a non-injected one, which, judging from the exterior care (or lack thereof) this isn't. That being said, the car doesn't look egregious...talk him the hell down, pretending not to be an enthusiast.

My Cars
    1991 318is parts car
    Quote Originally Posted by Max87IS View Post
    I think 8600 is a bit much for that car, unless the mechanicals are showroom. The least he could have done would've been to strip the oxidation off the outside.

8600 is a decent deal for a virtually perfect 02, even a non-injected one, which, judging from the exterior care (or lack thereof) this isn't. That being said, the car doesn't look egregious...talk him the hell down, pretending not to be an enthusiast.
    well, I already told him it was a bit much for a non-injected one. im just going to let it sit. he's in the Bahamas and i guess the car is somewhere here on the beach. ill see what else i can find as it seems that car isnt going anywhere.

i want to take my M3 to the track as well as get some 1/4 mile times before i let her go anyhow. i'm going to chicago in august for a bit and if i find a 2002 around then, i know an awsome body shop and ben thongsai is nearby.

you say that the paint is oxidized, is that something that only a respray would fix? or could a really good buff with awsome products help it?

My Cars
    1987 325is 1989 325is
    Usually it's possible to rub out oxidation with a good cleaning wax (I like Meguire's or Dri-Wash and Guard)...by hand or VERY carefully with a buffing wheel if it's really bad. If there is a clear coat on there that's burnt/fuzzed, that's another matter...probably have to repaint. I think the only 02s that came with a clear coat were the metallic finishes and they didn't hold up too well, but hard to say what's been done to this car since then; if it's original, non-metallic paint in good shape it should clean up pretty well.

My Cars
    E36, MKII
    there's a guy here in PA selling a tii for 1300 bucks... its not inspected and had a brush on interlux paint job, but I'm thinking of buying it. 8600 seems like highway robbery!
    But I'm tryin, Ringo. I'm tryin real hard.