RM European Auto Parts

Thread: White Gunk On Oil Filler Cap - HELP!

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325I

Angry White Gunk On Oil Filler Cap - HELP!

Hi,

I've read through the forum and gathered some Info but nothing specific to my problem. I have a '91 BMW E36 325i

Here it is :

I have a white gunk on the oil filler cap, and its worrying me, i have read through the forum, so i have checked the coolant over the past 3-4 weeks and i am not loosing any and nothing bad is coming out the exhaust. so i gather from what i've read, its not my head gasket.

I had a word with a mechanic and he said it could be water thats not getting boiled off by the engine, i drive (at the moment untill the summer comes) 10mins to the train station in a morning and 10 mins back on a night 5 times a week. and the car is hardly used on a weekend, the mechanic advised me that as its been cold here (not getting above 2 degrees C here the past 3-4 weeks) and my engine obviously is not getting upto full temperature this is causing the white stuff on my oil filler cap, and its nothing to worry about but i should take it for a good run every once in a while.

what i want is your opinions, is what the mechanic telling me about right? what should i do to help avoid it? could the seal on the oil filler cap be cracked and therefore allowing excess water in?

so for the long post and thanks for reading

any help appreciated!

My Cars
    2007 Acura MDX, 2001 Accord V6
    Your mechanic is right. You are not letting the car run long enough for it to completely warm up. I have a similiar build up on mine since I only drive about 6 miles each way/each day, and like you not on the weekends.

Come summer time, look again, and with longer trips and warmer temps, you will not see the build up.
    Ron

My Cars
    M3
    Enough condensation casn form inside the engine over many short trips to cause foaming oil. The foamy oil itself is not harmful to anything. I would not continue driving short trips once the water is in there though. Water is a crappy lubricant for journal bearings such as main bearings and rod bearings. I suggest getting the car hot enough to boil off condensation about once a week. Go beat on the car for a half hour every weekend and you should be fine.

Ed

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325I
    thanks for the replys

anyone else got any ideas?

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3, Toyota Tundra V8 4x4, Yamaha FZ1
    That white gunk is the reaction between oil vapor and water, which is likely due to condensation based on your driving habits and environment. Those short trips in cold weather are very hard on your oil and your engine. Under those conditions, I would change my oil more frequently than BMW recommends, and I would recommend you change it based on time rather than miles. Like once every 3 months for mineral oil or at least every 6 months if using synthetic oil. And like others have stated, it would be a good idea to run the car long enough to get it really warmed up at least once a week.
    Alan, white 1995 M3 5 spd, white 2000 Toyota Tundra V8 4x4, silver 2002 Yamaha FZ1.

My Cars
    |1992 325i| mines
    I have the same problem.. thanks for the info guys

My Cars
    E36 M3/4
    I have started experiencing this recently as well. I guess it's due to the cooler weather. I will keep an eye on the coolant level though. I hope it's not a blown head gasket.
    I only drive 5 miiles each way M-F.

My Cars
    e30 330 coupe'
    Everyone with the problem: when was the last time your oil was changed?
    e30 s50 swap
    :piss on: m20

My Cars
    E36 M3/4
    It has been about 6 months and around 3500 miles since my last oil change.
    Would short distance driving and cold weather have anything to do with it? When I remove the cap after a short drive, I did notice water droplets mixed in the a white buttery substance.

My Cars
    e30 330 coupe'
    The widely used interval is 3 months or 3000 miles. I would follow that, and maybe go out and start your car in the morning about 5-10 minutes before you leave.

Change your oil!
    e30 s50 swap
    :piss on: m20

My Cars
    02 SR 260 Sundancer
    Originally posted by dansciol
    The widely used interval is 3 months or 3000 miles. I would follow that, and maybe go out and start your car in the morning about 5-10 minutes before you leave.

Change your oil!
    Running the engine at idle while cold is not advised. It will not get it upto operating temperature, it needs to be DRIVEN. Driving your car very short distances only is VERY hard on the engine. If it doesn't get upto temperature a lot of goo will end up in the oil and not get burned off. Water, crap from blowby, etc. that would normally burn off is instead recirculated through your engine. I would definitly change my oil more frequently under these conditions, and for your cars sake, drive it for a half hour on the weekends.

Mercruiser 350/Bravo III

My Cars
    E36 M3/4
    Thanks for the advice, I have already changed out the oil, I went with Mobil 1 5w-30......I was previously on BMW oil. I did notice that the oil smelled a little like gasoline, which makes me nervous......but we'll see how it goes, I'm taking her on a 6 hour road trip tommorow

My Cars
    02 SR 260 Sundancer
    Originally posted by ///\/\Power
    Thanks for the advice, I have already changed out the oil, I went with Mobil 1 5w-30......I was previously on BMW oil. I did notice that the oil smelled a little like gasoline, which makes me nervous......but we'll see how it goes, I'm taking her on a 6 hour road trip tommorow
    A faint gas smell is usual. Any engine (even brand new) has a certain amount of air that gets past the rings (accepted is 5% or less) that contains gas. This is then absorbed by the oil in the crankcase. This is why if you dont get upto operating temperature it is IMPERATIVE that you drive it longer every now and then and change your oil more.

Mercruiser 350/Bravo III

My Cars
    E36 M3/4
    Worked like a charm!
    After the 6 hour drive, I popped open the oil cap and nothing, even the little bit of residue that was there before is now gone and the engine is singing beautifully.
    I will definitely take her out for half an hour once a week from now and change the oil more frequently.
    Thanks again.

My Cars
    '11 535iX
    Due to some recent changes, my office is now just 1.5 mi from my home. That being the case, my car would just reach operating temperature when I would be turning into the office parking lot. The short jaunt combined with the sub-freezing temps are not good for engine or lubricants.

So, to prevent condensation build-up and for engine longevity, I now leave for the office 10 minutes earlier and take the "long way" to work. I find the benefits of taking a longer route not only allows my car to reach operating temperature, it also allows me to better enjoy the drive and my XM radio system. Besides, what's the use of having a car that begs to be driven, if you don't actually DRIVE!